Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Review: Botcon 2012 Shattered Glass The Bard of Darkmount

Reply Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Infectious
CookSux's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Too many, yet not enough
News Credits: 8
Send a message via AIM to CookSux
Botcon 2012 Shattered Glass The Bard of Darkmount

I realized, a little too late, that I forgot to include the gallery of photos for my Shattered Glass Soundwave Headband review. If you didn't get a chance to take a look at it, check them out. With that said, my first Transformers review from Botcon 2012 is The Bard of Darkmount. Shattered Glass Darkmount/Straxus/Spraxus is a poetic dramatist and I find his character*extremely difficult to love as much as FunPub claims I should. Here's the review.

Shattered Glass The Bard of Darkmount

Alt Mode: Shattered Glass Spraxus is a simple repaint of Transformers Generations Darkmount. People claim that the color scheme is based on Scrounge... no. The popular theory is that it's based on Serpentor... what's the relation? Cheetor... nonsense. If anything, I'd say RiD KayBee Destructicon Bludgeon... but that isn't a good match either. Months ago, I remember hearing that this deco was simply just the original figure's colors inverted; there goes the mystery. There really isn't anything significant to this color scheme. I see maybe three extra paint apps on this version of the mold, but it still looks like simple repaint. Another important thing to mention is that the figure is primarily cast out of a shiny metallic yellow plastic; gold plastic syndrome anyone?

Robot Mode: I'd like to go on the record by saying that neon colors on Transformers does not automatically default said Transformer into the second generation. According to Pete Sinclair, apparently the color scheme is visually striking... meh. There isn't much to talk about... read my review on Darkmount or Skullgrin if you're really curious about what I think of this mold's robot form.

Overall: The Bard of Darkmount is a decent freebie figure. While it doesn't beat last year's Fisitron or 09's LeoZack, I can honestly say that I like it. I like this figure because it was "free", wasn't blue and red (like most of the box set's toys), and because I love the mold. The character itself I honestly don't care about. The bio and comic depiction is completely snooze worthy, so there is no attachment there. So for most of you, this figure is not going to fly at all. I can see people liking it more if it had a deco that would*repurpose it into an already established character.

For more pictures, check out the review at The Rabbit Haul.
CookSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Expert with the Scopes!
Collection Count: 300+ ( 220, I really like)
News Credits: 1
I don't know why, I dig this...
exclusacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Herald of Unicron
T16skyhopp's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Lots.
News Credits: 4
Send a message via AIM to T16skyhopp
Wish it was based on Derrick's G2 Straxus. Even if they had to loose the animal print to fit it in budget.

Is this the first time the freebie was a mold not used anywhere else in the set?

Art Prints for Sale
Portfolio / DA / B/S/T / Feedback / Twitter
T16skyhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Infectious
CookSux's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Too many, yet not enough
News Credits: 8
Send a message via AIM to CookSux
Quote:
Originally Posted by T16skyhopp View Post
Wish it was based on Derrick's G2 Straxus. Even if they had to loose the animal print to fit it in budget.

Is this the first time the freebie was a mold not used anywhere else in the set?
Nah, Slicer in 2010 wasn't in the set at all either.
CookSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Herald of Unicron
T16skyhopp's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Lots.
News Credits: 4
Send a message via AIM to T16skyhopp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookSux View Post
Nah, Slicer in 2010 wasn't in the set at all either.
Ah, I forgot about him. Still need him and Turbomaster to complete my "G2". Too bad I'm a cheap bastard.

Art Prints for Sale
Portfolio / DA / B/S/T / Feedback / Twitter
T16skyhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Ho ho ho motherfucker
Collection Count: Unknown. Latest: AOE Lockdown
I still love this deco, and I want this thing so bad.
Comic

Art Thread of Magic
Sideways77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Nondescript Former Poster
Collection Count: 200 somethin
News Credits: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to Abrogate
Back in the 80s, there was a German company that issued the Marvel TF comics, but they recolored things in a scheme that made even less sense than G2 and gave them original covers that were so bizarre they fit right in with the weird colors. SG Straxus' colors are based on one of their covers

Transformers Comic-Magazin issue 10 - Transformers Wiki

Oh sure, I could go digital or buy the trades, but obsessively collecting Roche covers is half the fun.
Barely-used feedback thread
Abrogate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Car Robots
Collection Count: 647
It's a freebie and my 1st toy from this mold, no complaints on that.

Personally I think SG concept works better on HoF level characters that's well recognized when it comes to personality and colors. On other characters that few people knows much about, like Darkmount, who knows what to expect in mirrored universe, it's nothing but confusion.
Powersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Stunticon
Reigner's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Don't feel like counting that high

Reigner Reviews: SG Darkmount

Check out my reviews on The Plastic Vault

Follow me on Twitter! @TheReigner
Reigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
"Apart" ≠ "a part"
News Credits: 77
Send a message via ICQ to Nevermore Send a message via MSN to Nevermore Send a message via Skype™ to Nevermore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrogate View Post
Back in the 80s, there was a German company that issued the Marvel TF comics, but they recolored things in a scheme that made even less sense than G2 and gave them original covers that were so bizarre they fit right in with the weird colors. SG Straxus' colors are based on one of their covers

Transformers Comic-Magazin issue 10 - Transformers Wiki
Well, to be fair, they only randomly colored their covers and stories that were originally published in black and white.
Image:Tf comextrachainclaw.JPG - Transformers Wiki

Colored US issues had their colors redone with some errors, but no crazy colors there.
Image:TF-commagmagenta.jpg - Transformers Wiki

My new multi-purpose blog | My sales thread, my feedback as a seller and buyer.
Nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote