Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

MP11 Masterpiece Starscream V2 Review

Reply Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #361
Predacon
Got mine yesterday and opened it up this morning. Sadly, I found his left blue forearm had wear markings on it and the inside plastic sleeve was wearing the blue paint from his arm. Obviously, whoever packaged the figure didn't make sure his arm was inside the clear plastic protective mold (how ironic) and friction wore the paint off. I sent an email off to RK to see where we go from here

I'm curious if they'll just send me out a new arm, or will I have to send the entire figure back ?
CETERUS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #362
Prototype Black
Satomiblood's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: Eleventy Billion
How bad is it? I'd just touch up the arm if I were you, but that all depends on how comfortable you are with a little DIY work.
Satomiblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #363
I WILL DESTROY YOU

Collection Count: I have no idea
News Credits: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomiblood View Post
I painted the nosecone blue while waiting on a part from a custom project to cure. It came out rather nicely and a damn good factory match to the metallic blue on the rest of the figure. I just painted the outside of it, though. I didn't really feel like stripping the gray off of the nosecone.
What kind of paint did you use? Was it a custom color?
All things TOKUsatsu!
Thundercats HO!
GI JOE!
Ark Of Toys!
CHECK OUT OUR RESOURCES!:
Transformers Database
GI Joe Database
Shin Densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #364
Predacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomiblood View Post
How bad is it? I'd just touch up the arm if I were you, but that all depends on how comfortable you are with a little DIY work.
It's bad enough that I noticed it within seconds of opening the box and inspecting the figure. I paid too much for this to start touching it up before even transforming it once. This is the second time that one of my Takara MP figures arrived with noticeable flaws in the paint due to poor handling during packaging. Lesson learned : Will wait for less expensive Hasbro releases from now on.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #365
Prototype Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Densetsu View Post
What kind of paint did you use? Was it a custom color?
Yea, I mixed a little bit of...*wait for it*...FolkArt Metallic Blue Sapphire and Calypso Sky. I mixed two parts Metallic Blue Sapphire to 1 part Calypso Sky. I would test paint it on a junker Transformer until I got the exact shade I wanted. The factory blue is already metallic, so I had to replicate that. Anyway, I applied about 3 coats of the stuff on top of a gray preliminary coat (to give the custom mix more tooth) and then followed it up with about 4 or 5 coats of Future Finish to seal it.

Basically, I wait a good 20-30 minutes between coats of paint. Following the last coat of paint, I then wait another hour before applying the Future, giving each coat of Future a half-hour to cure before applying the next one. I also make it a point avoid touching the nosecone area until 12-24 hours after the last coat of Future has been applied. I just like leaving the surface undisturbed, giving it ample time to dry and mesh together.

I doubt it'll present any rub issues since the nosecone was already painted gray. There's always been enough clearance for it.

FolkArt is usually frowned upon by customizers, but I think it works well when mixed with other paints, especially when you don't have to worry about rubbing issues. I did this because I didn't feel like driving to the hobby shop closest to my area since it has shitty hours and is 20 minutes away. Also, I didn't feel like stripping the gray factory paint off with rubbing alcohol.

Last edited by Satomiblood; 05-01-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #366
Prototype Black
Here are some quick, not-so-great photos. I think the alt mode would probably showcase this a little better, but I don't have time to transform SS right now. I've also attached a pic of the paints I used.
Attached Thumbnails
MP11 Masterpiece Starscream V2 Review-img3144333_60.jpg   MP11 Masterpiece Starscream V2 Review-img3151367_60.jpg   MP11 Masterpiece Starscream V2 Review-001.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #367
thedaytimeninja.com
News Credits: 7
Here's my review for MP-11! MP-11 Masterpiece Starscream Review : thedaytimeninja.com

Overall, it's a badass figure and would recommend it to anyone.

Latest Review! IDW Generations Megatron
daytimeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #368
Predacon
RK emailed me back, asked if I'd be alright with a replacement part. I checked out the blue painted forearm to see how it's attached, but it looks like it's connected together to the rest of the arm by a pin rather than a screw. Looks like they'll need to send me an entire left arm if that's the case. Anyone know how this works ?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #369
OMEGAPRIME1983's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: currently.. about 150 or so I think
News Credits: 2
If it's like the first release, it's a screw in the armpit with a something inside to keep pressure for the ratchet joint. Be careful ad the ratchet piece against the torso use to be a separate piece, shop keep an eye for it. Just swing the arm out, and remove the screw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Chaos View Post
He's now nothing but a mere twisted shell of his former self, wrapped around a warped and chaotic spark that is withering yet thriving in a sea of despair and agony, his mind long eroded from the many thoughts of revenge for his undoing.
OMEGAPRIME1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #370
Constructicon
News Credits: 1
Hi all.

Just got my MP11 and I must say it is very perfect, after so disappointing with MP03.

I have a problem:

When tranforming into jet mode, we will need to push in the 2 sides big wings (having the V shaped gaps between the big wings and body) ONTO the main jet body and there are 2 button clips on each sides of the main body to hook up the 2 sides big wings.

My problem is that, when transforming back to robot mode, how to I unplug/open the 2 sides big wings gently so that it will not cause stressmark on the button clips?

Let me know if you understand, else I will attach picture.

Thanks.
Dogbomber is offline   Reply With Quote