MP11 Masterpiece Starscream V2 Review
|04-05-2012, 06:22 AM||#21|
Join Date: Jan 2012
Collection Count: 376
Many thanks for a very thorough review. If there was any question I had about this figure, it's now been answered. Am starting to look forward to gettting mine.
If I'm going to put panellining on MP-11 (got to receive him first) it'll be in a shade of gray slightly darker than the figure. That way the lines will be more realisitic IMO.
|04-05-2012, 06:28 AM||#22|
Randy of the Allspark
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New England
Collection Count: 5,000+
News Credits: 73
Got mine yesterday and there is no comparison the new one is miles better than the original.
The original looks like a piece of junk compared to it now (I never cared much for the white USA Starscream in particular).
|04-05-2012, 06:37 AM||#23|
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mary's Land
News Credits: 11
Looks like I'll be owning my 8th Masterpiece seeker soon.
|04-05-2012, 07:13 AM||#24|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Hmm. Interesting review. Can't say I agree with the sentiment that this figure is superior in most ways to the previous seeker mold. I mean, I'm all for supporting a new figure, as we don't want Takara to suffer financially, but pretending something is superior, just because it's new seems a little silly to me.
My thoughts on specific points:
• The face/head on MP3 is far superior, it offers two faces, and it's a nicer sculpt. The Mp11's face doesn't look like any Starscream I've ever seen. I think it looks almost feline, and the curved cheeks are a bit feminine.
• The nullrays/weapons on Mp11 being mounted on ugly struts/bars make the jet mode look ridiculous, and if you pop them off the arms in robot mode, you're left with gigantic ball joint ports that stick out like a sore thumb. Also, you don't get the missile option for jet mode, which looked awesome on MP3.
• The crooked nose thing has indeed been an issue on some toys, but I do seem to remember there being a simple solution to this, I can't remember right now, but I'm sure someone will chime in. Anyway, it's barely noticeable, and to point it out as a big flaw, when Mp11 makes the jet-mode look toyish (in comparison), seems a little ridiculous.
• The new feet on Mp11 look pretty bad, first off, he now has gigantic high heels, and secondly, the feet do not sit flush with the ground at any position, so he always looks "uncomfortable".
• The hip kibble on MP3 could always be attached to the lower leg in order to achieve the same look that iGear and Mp11 boasts. Only gripe I have about it, is that the vertical stabilizers are very close to the ground and can make posing a little more limited than when they're on the hips.
• Poseability should be roughly the same, if not BETTER on MP3, my reasoning for this is that Mp11 doesn't appear to have movable hip skirts, and MP3 does. This moveable hip skirting allows the hip joints to swing forward nice and far, but many people are unaware of this. I don't require the display stand to pose my MP3 mold seekers dynamically.
• The jet mode definitely does NOT look "sleeker", Mp11 makes it look like a cheaper toy, with robot mode parts way more visible (which gives a jagged, un-smooth appearance), and the truly awful way that the null rays attach under the wing, and the lack of missile options, and the lack of display stand all equal a vehicle mode that is definitely a step down, any other conclusion seems kind of deluded to me.
I'm sure there are some other things I could compare, but I don't want to be typing all morning. I like elements of this new Mp11, but I wouldn't buy it unless it was on sale by a wide margin. To those who prefer it, I'm happy for you, but let's not attempt to claim the original mold was flawed, when in reality, it was an excellent design that was simply a different "flavor". I do like the solid grey appearance almost as much as the white "walmart" SS, but the mold changes to the jet form kind of ruin its appeal for me, personally.
No disrespect intended by my differing with your points of view. Cheers!
|04-05-2012, 07:35 AM||#25|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Collection Count: Too many... and not enough
To me, copying the limitations of the 80's animation (flat colours because frames were hand drawn, for example) or 80's engineering (dropping the CFTs and exposing the robot colour panels because it was that specific model of F-15) kind of goes against what I personally want from the MP line.
I am not going to tell anyone who likes this that they are wrong, and I am not ruling out picking one up in the future, but it's a different figure trying to do different things and appeal to a different collector - which is exactly what a second version should do. I happen to be in the smaller group who wanted what MP-03 delivered over and above what MP-11 does.
|04-05-2012, 07:51 AM||#26|
Join Date: Aug 2006
News Credits: 2
Great review! Agreed on all points, especially the face sculpt.collection trades feedback FIRRIB
Never did like the head on MP-03, which is why I never opened the box. I always figured someone would make a replacement head it was so bad, but I never saw one. Now I can finally have an MP Starscream worthy of display.
Oh and the colors are a ton better. A wash would've been disappointing; out of place with every other MP figure. You can always add a wash if you want, but it's a lot harder to take it off.
|04-05-2012, 07:59 AM||#27|
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Copperas Cove, TX
Collection Count: Not enough
News Credits: 2
That was a great review - now I can tell he's worth the money I laid out to get him. More than worth it, it seems like!
Should be here tomorrow...
Signature courtesy of Bumbebee765 - thanks bro!
|04-05-2012, 08:15 AM||#28|
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tasmania, Australia
|04-05-2012, 08:45 AM||#29|
Herald of Unicron
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Home is where you make it!
Collection Count: 300+
News Credits: 4
He looks awesome!My Sales List! My Feedback! My Collection!
|04-05-2012, 09:10 AM||#30|
I voted for Super_Megatron and all I got was this stupid user title.
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Collection Count: 279
The main difference between this new one and the old one is the focus. The old one, the focus was on the Jet mode, and the bot mode suffered because of it. This time around, the Bot mode is the focus and the Jet mode suffers as a result, though not too much.
My MP-11 came in yesterday, and I have to say that it is my favorite version of the 2 toys.
My WANT list. Follow me on Twitter! Check out my YouTube Channel!