Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

LDM's - TFP: The Omega Keys [Shapeway]

Reply Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Lord Dragon Master
Collection Count: too many..far too many..
LDM's - TFP: The Omega Keys [Shapeway]

LDM's - TFP: The Omega Keys

After creating the Star Saber, I decided I would continue with some very important relics from the Icon vault, the Omega keys. The intension is that they will be able to be held by TFP figures. (Cyberforming Omega Lock not included). I will update this thread with progress of the model, so stayed tuned!

~LDM

BUY TF PRIME - OMEGA KEY (Stainless steel, single)
BUY TF PRIME - OMEGA KEY (WSF, 4 set)

January 28, 2013
Final Prototypes came in! They look great and function perfectly!

They can fit into any 5mm hand/port! (as seen below!!)

The stainless steel key is beautiful, and the colour/texture really makes it look like one of the Omega keys.

The stainless steel key will be sold individually, while other cheaper materials will be sold in sets of 4. I currently only have the stainless steel up for sale, but the other materials will follow shortly this week.

January 11, 2013
After a break for the holidays I am back to updating this model.

The previous design couldn't be held by most figures, so instead of adding an extra plug on the back, I converted the bottom of the key to a 5mm plug. It didn't print the little details to well, and this way it can easily be held by all figures.

I will be selling this version in sets of 4 keys, and the unaltered (accurate version) in singles.

December 4, 2012
Prototypes arrived. I had them printed in 3 scales.

V.1 - Large - The one Starscream is holding fits nicely on the finger of most bots.
V.1B - Large/Flat - It is the same width and height, but the depth was smooshed. It lost too much detail and wont be continued.
V.2 - Small - Optimus is holding it, fits over small fingers, or can sit in a larger hand.

No sure which one to continue with, as both of them turned out great.

Large is 4.2cm in length
Small is 3.5cm in length

Very little tweaks need to be done, and which ever one I choose will be released in a batch of 4.

Tell me what you think!
(I keep trying to pose FE Starscream walking away with all 3 keys, but the bots got no grip! )

November 26, 2012

Had some free time tonight and finished the model. After comparing it to the Star Saber I noticed a lot of parts were to small or thin. I made some adjustments and ordered the Prototype!

November 25, 2012

Finished vectoring the key and started the model. Below is the current progress. Tell me what you think!

Attached Thumbnails
-2.jpg  
citoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Cyber Ninja Web Developer
Collection Count: too big for my wife's tastes...
News Credits: 2
Send a message via AIM to WuLongTi Send a message via Yahoo to WuLongTi Send a message via Skype™ to WuLongTi
I'd say you're off to a good start

Do you think there are going to be any problems with 5mm hands trying to hold them?

:blog: :DeviantArt: :facebook: :Twitter: :ShapeWays:
WuLongTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Lord Dragon Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuLongTi View Post
I'd say you're off to a good start

Do you think there are going to be any problems with 5mm hands trying to hold them?
It will defiantly need some massaging once I get the first print (I almost need to model an exact replica of transformers hands!) but the intention is they should be able to hold the handle, or at least the side of the key. They might be slightly oversized in some areas to adjust for the 5mm hand, but again, as this is my second model I am still on a learning curve.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Hanlon's razor

Collection Count: Many
News Credits: 34
Very nice, I'll be watching this.

radicons : shapeways : photography : feedback
process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Quintesson
Big Hache's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 40 (est.)
Looking good. What I like about your models is you take full advantage of SLS printing. I don't think the designs from the show could be produced with conventional production methods and maintain the accuracy that printing technology affords.

Shapeways Shop: Lawson3D | My B/S/T Thread | TFW Feedback
Big Hache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Lord Dragon Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by process View Post
Very nice, I'll be watching this.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hache View Post
Looking good. What I like about your models is you take full advantage of SLS printing. I don't think the designs from the show could be produced with conventional production methods and maintain the accuracy that printing technology affords.
Thanks! I'll try my best to keep it up!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Cyber Ninja Web Developer
Collection Count: too big for my wife's tastes...
News Credits: 2
Send a message via AIM to WuLongTi Send a message via Yahoo to WuLongTi Send a message via Skype™ to WuLongTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoria View Post
It will defiantly need some massaging once I get the first print (I almost need to model an exact replica of transformers hands!) but the intention is they should be able to hold the handle, or at least the side of the key. They might be slightly oversized in some areas to adjust for the 5mm hand, but again, as this is my second model I am still on a learning curve.
short of modeling a full hand, you can at least pop out a quick 5mm cylinder, group it and then use that as a sizing guide.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm no expert by any stretch but I think doing all these Kreon upgrade parts is ramping up my exp pretty quick

:blog: :DeviantArt: :facebook: :Twitter: :ShapeWays:
WuLongTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Lord Dragon Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuLongTi View Post
short of modeling a full hand, you can at least pop out a quick 5mm cylinder, group it and then use that as a sizing guide.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm no expert by any stretch but I think doing all these Kreon upgrade parts is ramping up my exp pretty quick
Oh the 5mm isnt the issue. The hole in the hand is easy (though don't try making a 5mm handle fit in a 5mm hand, it never seems to work), it is the clearance of the fingers. You'll notice most prime hands are open, which means when you have a closed loop (like the hilt of the star saber or top of the key) it has to clear the open hand.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Drawer of Robots
transformerwars's Ebay Auctions
Collection Count: 82
News Credits: 17
These are looking fantastic so far. Any idea on what the price range will be like once they're finished?

transformerwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Lord Dragon Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by transformerwars View Post
These are looking fantastic so far. Any idea on what the price range will be like once they're finished?
Thank you!

Not quite sure just yet! I am debating on selling them as singles or sets of 4. (gonna see if one is cheaper than the other).

Base on the first model and the cost of materials on shapeways, each key might be around the $5 range, it is practically 1/4 of the star saber's size so that seems in the ballpark. But again I will adjust them if I feel they are too big, which might lower the price or materials.