Stylin Online T-Shirts

Register Rules Be A Supporter Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Hobby Link Japan TFSource Big Bad Toy Store Robot Kingdom ToyArena Captured Prey

Treadshot's Shapeways Thread

Reply Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #41
#MoreSawBoss
destrongerlupus's Ebay Auctions
News Credits: 3
OK, my artistic talent and training is essentially non-existent, so I'm basically operating from a "I know what looks right" perspective and trying to sort it out. Any real artists on here or a good google search on "human proportions" will probably be more useful, but here we go, this is the best I can come up with:

So here's my assessment, and I'll follow on with some suggestions as to what I think is causing the assessments:

Frembles (and their spawn) are the worst (also your earliest, along with the intentionally chibi constructions), and look very child-like.

Your Not-Fracas (and kin) holds up to scrutiny pretty well, but still "feels" off.

The latest version of the cartridge bot seems pretty much right, or close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades.

I think PART of the problem is that the heads of your characters, and also their forearms/lower legs are all a little *chunky*. I can't provide good math to support that, but it feels that way.

SOOOO..I just spent the last 40 minutes crunching calculations of various height-to-width ratios on your guys to find the pattern, and I CAN'T. Which is making me think more and more that it may really be the chunky heads and hands/feet that are creating an optical illusion that are otherwise screwing up your proportions which, when I do the math in all the ways I can think to do it, mimic their G1 counterparts pretty closely.

Yeah, you NEED a real artist to chime in here Papa D/L is not wise enough in these ways

D/L

My Custom Feedback Thread
My take away from Charticon 2013- The world wants more Saw Boss.
destrongerlupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #42
Or just 'A1' for short...
Collection Count: 1000+
Quote:
OK, my artistic talent and training is essentially non-existent, so I'm basically operating from a "I know what looks right" perspective and trying to sort it out. Any real artists on here or a good google search on "human proportions" will probably be more useful, but here we go, this is the best I can come up with:
That's exactly what i was looking for. All my knowledge of engineering, ergonomics, proportions and all that science-y stuff won't help me, it's getting it to look right to other people (who may or may not be trained) that i need to achieve.

I'll give it to you that Fremble is very child-like. That was actually deliberate on my part, as they weren't designed with the intent of retail, i just threw them up on the web in case anyone liked them (which surprisingly, some people did). Still, that'll change, just keep reading...

And yeah, the heads can be a bit clunky sometimes (arguably that's what makes Reika look 'off'). I think Deka holds up best for some reason, though that's probably just me.

And trust me, i've talked to too many artists and engineers in my experience, and that only got me so far. Now's the time to get some people to...um, is beta test the right term? Thanks for all your input bro, and hope you didn't waste too much time on calculations!

BTW, you ever receive DNavi?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This. is. it. It's done. I'm through with this project. Fremble, Ejectoids, they're over now. No more going back to revise them, no more adding and subtracting bits, nothing. It's finished....

...with version 7!

^(Pictures of Light Minion Eject v7)

^(Pictures of Light Minion Rewind v7)

Yep, Treadshot's finally got the Minions down to a science (either that, or he's just too lazy to continue ). From now on, this is the formula, the mold from which Minion after Minion will be cast.

The changes made in the transition to v7 are the most complex I've ever gone through and also the most numerous. Here's what been done:

New lower legs: Following from v6's ball jointed feet, this time the entire foot's ball jointed, giving him much more articulation, and also a few more millimeters of height.

Shoulder Armor: To counteract the cuteness a bit (not too much!), I've added new armor, and also repositioned the Eject symbol to the right shoulder. This armor actually serves two purposes, it bears the symbol of the Minion (Fremble will get his own symbol, stay tuned for that one) and also serves as the connector for the guns in SSD mode.

New guns: For the Ejectoids, they'll all get new guns just like Eject here (Frembles will get modified Piledrivers). They're designed to be a hybrid between Cartridge Robot Ejector's gun and G1 Eject's weapons, with a bit of artistic license thrown in. They also serve to house the 5mm plugs that will peg into Soundwave, freeing up the shoulder.

New torso: Mainly a behind the scenes change, the torso was squeezed a little bit one way and stretched another. This was done mainly to provide a better silhouette for v7, a stockier build to match the new shoulder armor. Also, the joints were repositioned (so many times i've lost track of how they changed!) to allow for the new transformation.

New transformation: Yeah, frankly it was that or go back to the old Pulse Blasters, and i ain't doing that. To fit the new guns, the legs were redesigned to fold 90 degrees for SSD mode, and the arms fold to allow them enough room. The guns then slot into each other and attach to the front, using the connectors built into the should armor.

New forearms: Added the connector to allow v7 to use the guns.

So yeah, C&C is welcome as usual. Enjoy! I'll be linking each one to Shapeways as i upload them over the coming days.
Attached Thumbnails
Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-eject-v7-scrnsht.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-eject-v7-scrnsht-2.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-rewind-v7-scrnsht.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-rewind-v7-scnrsht-2.jpg  

^^Click to go to the A1 Kitbashing Shapeways Shop^^
Latest Release: 02-ASV "Recon" || A1 Kitbashing Facebook || TFW Thread
Treadshot A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #43
Fremble v7

Changes made:

New Head: Design based on G1 head design with some artistic license. Hopefully looks slightly more grown-up as well.

New lower legs: Following from v6's ball jointed feet, this time the entire foot's ball jointed, giving him much more articulation, and also a few more millimeters of height.

Shoulder Armor: To counteract the cuteness a bit (not too much!), I've added new armor, and also repositioned the talon symbol to the right shoulder. This armor actually serves two purposes, it bears the symbol of the Minion (Fremble has the talon symbol that he's preiously had on his leg) and also serves as the connector for the guns in SSD mode.

New Piledrivers: Now slightly less comical in appearance. They're inspired by G1 Rumble's/Frenzy's weapons, with a bit of artistic license thrown in. They also serve to house the 5mm plugs that will peg into Soundwave, freeing up the shoulder.

New torso: Mainly a behind the scenes change, the torso was squeezed a little bit one way and stretched another. This was done mainly to provide a better silhouette for v7, a stockier build to match the new shoulder armor. Also, the joints were repositioned (so many times i've lost track of how they changed!) to allow for the new transformation. Now allows for weapons to stow on back when not in use.

New transformation: Yeah, frankly it was that or go back to the old Pulse Blasters, and i ain't doing that. To fit the new guns, the legs were redesigned to fold 90 degrees for SSD mode, and the arms fold to allow them enough room. The guns then slot into each other and attach to the front, using the connectors built into the should armor.

New forearms: Added the connector to allow v7 to use the guns.

*Have to give credit to Fakebusker83 for the sliding gun design, it's really a great idea, and both Fremble and the Ejectoids use it, and also for her help with many aspects of the design, especially for letting me know how to design a decent head, along with all her other information. Thanks Fakebusker, not only for Fremble and the Ejectoids, but i'm sure many more projects to come.

As usual, C&C is welcome. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-fremble-v7-scrnsht.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-fremble-v7-scrnsht-2.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-head-scrnsht.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-head-scrnsht-2.jpg  

Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #44
#MoreSawBoss
YES, I love the new Fremble design! It's been a really fun journey watching these evolve!

D/L

Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #45
Beast v7

Changes made:

New Head: Design based on G1 head design and this piece of art with some artistic license, mixed with some of the design from Fremble. Really wanted to make him look angry but also kind of slow, so the eyes aren't slanted, but i did give him flared nostrils.

New lower legs: Completely overhauled, not a piece was used from the previous legs. Also added the joint to allow the guns to connect in SSD mode.

Shoulder Armor: To counteract the cuteness a bit (not too much!), I've added new armor, and Best now bears the Broken Earth symbol on his right shoulder.

New Weapons: They're inspired by G1 Beastbox's weapons, with a lot of artistic license thrown in. I wanted to use more of an energy cannon style weapon rather than the usual cannon, so i went with a weapon similar to the one Soundwave carries. They also serve to house the 5mm plugs that will peg into Soundwave, freeing up the shoulder.

New torso: Mainly a behind the scenes change, the torso was squeezed a little bit one way and stretched another. This was done mainly to provide a better silhouette for v7, a stockier build to match the new shoulder armor. Also, the joints were repositioned (so many times i've lost track of how they changed!) to allow for the new transformation. Now allows for weapons to stow on back when not in use.

New transformation: Had to change it slightly to allow for much bulkier arms. He now transforms by folding his arms in front of him, and his legs behind. The weapons attach to his legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-beast-v7-scrnsht.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-beast-v7-scrnsht-2.jpg  

Old 10-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #46
#MoreSawBoss
Oh this is INFINITELY more effective than the first one, your changes really shine here as the contrast is so clear vs. the incremental evolution we've witnessed with the humanoids guys!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #47
Sqwawk v7

Changes made:

New Head: Design based on G1 head design and this piece of art with some artistic license, mixed with some of the design from the previous Sqwawk model..

New lower legs: Gave him bigger, badder claws.

New Weapons: They're inspired by Sqwawktalks' G1 weapons and the weapons here, with a lot of artistic license thrown in. They also serve to house the 5mm plugs that will peg into Soundwave, freeing up the shoulder.

New wings: Larger and stronger, they're ball jointed, twice along each wing and another where they connect to the body. They also bear Sqwawk's Sonic Claw symbol, and also house the joints to connect the weapons in SSD mode.

*Ravager's up next, and then it's time for me to put in a new order with Shapeways!
Attached Thumbnails
Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-sqwawk-scrnsht.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-sqwawk-scrnsht-2.jpg  

Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #48
Autobot Supersoldier
News Credits: 1
Really loving the new versons of these guys. Especially lovin the beast and squark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor_Master View Post
"Don't make me angry... you won't like me when I'm angry. My cleavage sure, but not my foot in your junk."
Thunderthruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #49
Ravager v7

I guess this is the one that's going to need some explanation, and it's a love it or hate it kind of deal. Some will like the new Ravager look, others will be confused by it. My intentions was to make good on a reply i got all the way back in WFC Ravager Minion's thread. Someone wanted Ravager to have bulkier forelegs, to look more like it's WFC version. Now, i've searched and searched and come up with no such art, but i did like the suggestion. So for Ravager v7, i went all out and added as much bulk to the forelegs as i could, while still keeping it different from Beast v7. In doing so, i also moved the cannons from the hips to the back (they can be mounted on the shoulders or back, i prefer the back as shown). Even the main claws of the forelegs were enlarged, all for the sake of a more powerful look. And i like it.

Changes made:

New Head: Design based on G1 head design and this piece of art with some artistic license, mixed with some of the design from the original WFC Ravager. I wanted a mix of stealthy and strong, so i kept a relatively small head, but with sharpened fangs.

New lower legs: Forelegs were completely reworked, with new enlarged claws. Rear legs also had claws added, and more articulation was added as compared to Ravager's previous incarnation.

Shoulder Armor: Secondary attachment point for Ravager's twin missiles. One of the few armors that don't bear the Minion's symbol (Ravager's stealthy, it needs no symbol).

New Weapons: They're inspired by G1 Ravager's hip-mounted missile's, but made a bit sharper. I really wanted the weapon to look like it had a round sticking out at the end, and i think i achieved that. As usual, all weapons can be interchanged between Minions.

Attached Thumbnails
Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-ravager-v7-scrnsht.jpg   Treadshot's Shapeways Thread-ravager-v7-scrnsht-2.jpg  

Old 12-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #50
(D/L can consider this his Xmas present)

A while ago i made an Animated Pinpointer design, which up until now has been kept a secret. To go with Pinpointer, I decided to make an Animated Crosshairs.

"Warning: Copious amounts of Artistic License ahead. Die hard G1 Crosshairs fans, look away now"

Crosshairs had been designed to be roughly scout sized, and of course works with Pinpointer, both using the standard 5mm peg. I decided to change his "Cybertronic van-buggy-sorta-kinda-thing" (as the TFWiki puts it), into something more befitting a weapons supervisor. He's now and anti-air buggy, complete with twin missile batteries to shoot down 'Cons. He's also armed with six blasters to knock out any 'Cons foolish enough to land, and Pinpointer takes care of the rest.

Before anyone asks, yes i know the head is...unique. To be honest, i was stumped when it came to deciding on what expression best suited Crosshairs. In the end, i went for a "oh really?" sort of expression. I imagine it would be how he looks when some young recruit comes asking him for a weapon, and he raises one eyebrow, not believing the recruit is ready. Oh, and of course it features the obligatory elongated chin. This is Animated, after all.

Oh, and just for the sake of fun, let's see if anyone can recognise the parts of Crosshairs that were inspired by other figures, and which figures they came from. The chest, lower arms and lower legs were all inspired by other figures, which ones?

This shot shows him with Pinpointer, in both robot and vehicle modes.

And this is Pinpointer mounted on Crosshairs' vehicle mode.
--------------------------------------

He'll be on Shapeways soon along with Pinpointer.

Oh, and credit to Fakebusker for coming up with the cross-shaped connector. I'm using a modified version of it here to attach Crosshairs' guns.