Minor/Repaint: Zoom Zoom

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Alteron_Sheng, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Am I the only one that sees that name and gets the theme song of those commercials stuck in my head?
    -------------------------------
    In any case. I was robbed recently. The thief made off with the remainder of my Zoids collection, over 3/4ths of my Transformers, my new airbrush, compressor, camera and photobox and more. And much of what wasn't stolen was destroyed. Included in that list are about half of the kitbashes in process that I have so far posted, so I am slowly working on trying to get them underway again with new 'junk lot' fodder.

Fortunately, the thief was an idiot otherwise. Despite slashing much of my clothing and such he apparently never thought to go upstairs to my room itself, or into the den. That means that our computers and such survived and the toys that I had in the den for display (most of my botcon exclusives and 'rares' whew) and the kitbashes I was working on at the time survived in tact^^

One of those I had only JUST finished sculpt work on. Zoom Zoom!!

Zoom Zoom was my favorite of the alternators/binal tech toys as Jazz's toy and head mold were fantastic. My original ZZ had his helmet painted to match his original art work.

But I wanted a ZZ in the classics scale, but couldn't find the right mold
    Then I got lucky. On ebay I scored two Chevy Swerves for an INSANELY low price. Almost ended up being 'two for one'. I decided that one of those Swerves would go on display as is (actually he's still bagged) and the other would become Zoom Zoom.
    It's a good thing I decided to do this as now this is my only ZZ:S

So, he got a nose and mouth to replace the Swerve's 're-breather' and I added the 'chin side... thingies... that the A/BT ZZ had. I also used a bit of apoxie sculpt and filled in the center groove on his feet so he lost that weird 'I have giant gorilla feet' motif.

Now the problem becomes while I trust my cutting and sculpting skills... I don't have an air brush anymore, and won't be able to afford one for a while:(  Plus I'm not sure I trust my painting skills enough on this one

I'm thinking of painting his 'car' parts a nice metallic red, maybe add some 'shimmer' spray to it like I did on the twins. Also going to get some gunmetal and dark steel paint and add to his dark gray plastic... but to be honest I want ZZ painted up sooner then 'several months down the road'

I'm thinking of commissioning out on his paint job. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and I hope you like his looks!! ^^

Attached Files:

2. kdog

kdog Well-Known Member

sorry about the robbery. if they took the time to slash your cloths its someone you know are had a recent beef with. good thing they was a idiot and missed the other stuff.

3. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    The problem is I don't really KNOW anyone up here. I'm at work or school and this term I've online classes...
    *shrugs* And earlier this year someone broke into my truck and destroyed my notebooks and such. Whoever they are (he is?) I don't know who it could be, and I can't sort out WHY.
    the only thing I do that could be seen as offensive is that when working out in the garden I sometimes where a tank top and shorts but... seriously that's it. I'm a retail worker and a part time teacher who likes transformers. o_O 

But I can't change anything, cops have no leads and we've got new locks so... can't change it, can only smile and move on, right?^^

May I ask what you think of Zoom Zoom?

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    WOW.... lets start with ZZ... I hate that mold I got camshaft and swerve for collections sake, but man his head is fugly... yours however is briljant!!

then the robbery part.... OMFG :(  I'd get major security if I where you!
    I got an super easy battery opperated buzzer that operates with motion sensors...
    you really don't want to been near or wear ear protectors :D 
    only 10a15euro's!

5. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Yeah I never liked the 'face' much. I liked the sweep of his helmet and the optic band with the faint 'optics' that you can see imprinted in it, but the rebreather and the weird black things on teh side... BLEH
    Thanks for the compliment! I really love how he came out. I was so glad he was up in the attic where my room is^^

Well not much we can add on
    With the buzzer. We have dogs, one of whom is a rescue animal (abuse case) how would the buzzer effect them?
    We've got 'blind locks' on the doors now too though (y'know, the ones that you can only lock/unlock from inside? Since we usually leave and come in though our garage it means the house is now locked up tight most times.
    But thank you so much for the concern and offer, I'll have to check that out^^

6. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to hear about the robbery, stealing one thing but destroying what they're not taken is uncalled for and sounds personal, hope they get their commupence somehow and that everything works out for you.

7. meisterworks

meisterworks Well-Known Member

f1rstly, i'm sorry to hear what happen.
    it's awful to go thru this kind of mess.
    destroying what they can't take.
    hope justice is served on them.
    well, life needs to move on and hope everything will work out the best for you.
    btw, what's wrong with wearing a tank top and shorts for gardening?
    sounds logical to me since we'll be getting our elbows and knees gritty.

now back to topic,
    your sculpting is really neat.
    the mouth and chin is done from scratch too?

8. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Thank you so much. The well wishes that I have been getting have meant a lot to me (although I hardly mean to seem selfish) and have really helped me in getting my feet back under me emotionally. So I just want to say, to you and everybody else. ...Thank you. I can not express my thanks enough.

Thank you so much for your kindness.
    *shrugs* I don't know about the tank top. When I was in FL no one blinked twice at me wearing that just walking around the mall, heck I could wear a bikini top and no one reacted. Here.... everyone seems to think that my tank top is a bra and even when I wear a normal shit, people react oddly just for exposing my midriff. ...I think it's a cultural thing, I don't know. But that really is the worst I've done here. I stopped wearing anything that exposed my midriff anywhere but out working landscaping/the garden since my first 6 months up here.

thanks! I really like how my sculpting came out.
    And no, the mouth and chin are not scratch built. Initially I was going to scratch build it (as I did for Domino and Silverbolt) but one of my toys in my 'junk box' had a face just perfect for ZoomZoom, lanturn jaw and... well to be honest I am simply horrid at sculpting mouths, the best I can do is the TFA 'carved line'. So I tend to cheat when it comes to faces^^

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about the robbery and destruction of your belongings. Its hard to believe human beings can lower themselves like that.

I recently got Swerve myself. And I really like the new head you gave him. The white and yellow face work really well with the other colors. I think its a big improvement. The only other thing I think the figure needs, in general, is two hand guns. Anyways, great job converting Swerve in to Zoom Zoom. Hes the reason I have my car. :D 

10. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Yeah, between this and my truck I've sort of been going 'you're kidding me... right?' Also trying to go through what remains of my collection which is not helped by not having a set inventory but instead knowing mostly what I had:S
    I'm also trying to find out if the Skyfall set I bought from you survived as the Skyfall toy is missing, but I THINK I might have had the set in a different location:S (and I want to say again that I LOVE your Skyfall set and am also planning to get the Blaster set you made, although I may not use it on the Cybertron mold toy ^^ HE HAS A MOBILE VISOR, squeeeeeeeeee)

Sadly the color of the mouth doesn't show up anywhere else so it'll be repainted to silver with the white being red with white edgings like his planned head. If only because I really love that helmet... Plus I think with the helmet a unified color it'll add to the slightly 'Tron' like vibe that he seems to have^^

11. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    *chuckles*

I think there was a bit of confusion as to the mold. I'm under the impression that G60Force thinks this is the TFTM Cobalt mold used on Camshaft and -Swindle-, sharing a rather common dislike of the mold. It is a bit similar to Aveo Swerve, but perhaps we could point him to the resources over

Swerve - Transformers Universe - Transformers Resources

and

Swindle - Movie Main Line - Transformers Resources

for comparison's sake.

As for the project itself! I really like the mouth area, but the rest of the helmet areas~ kind of hard to tell. I'll reserve proper judgment for when this guy's at least got some primer on. Curious though the reasoning behind not sculpting the Jazz-ish horns on his head.

As for painting, since you're used to an airbrush, you might find it pretty easy to use spray paints. They won't come out as mirror smooth as a propper airbrush application, but with some very very fine sand paper between every few coats, you could pull it off without too much trouble.

12. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Ah, I'd misunderstood him then. Apologies

As I'd mentioned I rather liked the swept back 'horns' that the Swerve mold already has, however that's just a personal preference of mine^^
    I think everything will blend in better once it's painted up properly.

I've used spary cans to paint fairly often before, but the thing is I REALLY wanted that mirror smooth look, plus you can have thinner coats with better coverage with an airbrush
    I want him to look juuuuuuuust right and while usually I'm alright with some roughness from the paint, I'd prefer the sleek look I'll get with teh airbrush
    Hence, I'll wait.^^
    But thank you for taking the time to tell me of the method, it was very kind of you^^