Zomg! Rotf sucks!....?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kraven, Jul 8, 2011.

1. kraven

kraven Decepticon

After watching DOTM I was craving some more movieverse action. And seeing as going to the movies isnt that cheap I watched ROTF. And as I watched it, it made me wonder... What was the problem again? Seems cool to me. Can Someone remind me why this movie is reguarded by a huge % of the fanbase as complete trash? I have to (shamefully) admit, that I had even been a little brainwashed by the constant horrible feedback of this movie that I was thinking it wasnt that good. But then, I watched it again, and I honestly dont remember why people think its sooo bad...? It also seems to flow with the first movie MUCH better than DOTM. Watching DOTM (which I really liked btw, so dont take this as complaing about it) felt like ROTF never really happened. And over all makes the movies not really make sence as a whole. I mean, its easy to piece them all together, but you have to use a little fan fiction, which is ok. And dont get me wrong, I loved'em all, it just leaves me very confused by the fandom.

So could someone remind me why so many trans-fans thought ROTF was so terrible? Im honestly have trouble remembering.

P.S. I know sometime reading things on teh internet thigs can get taken wrong, so I just want to say, im not bitching about anything or asking sarcastically, im speaking genuinely just wanting to have friendly conversations.

2. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Crap, I guess i could have put this in the What makes these movies bad? thread...

3. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher Just another Edgelord

News Credits:
    Absurb plot?

Megatron sucking compared to the first movie?

Too much focus on the humans?

Skids and Mudflop?

Who the hell knows!? Honestly, ROTF had good points, but they seemed wasted.

4. Rosakai

Rosakai Artist in Disguise

To be honest, I actually liked ROTF. Sure, it could have done without all of the immature humor, but I didn't really see anything wrong with it other than that. It doesn't stand up well against the other two movies, though.

5. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The parents being more annoying & obnoxious (especially Sam's mum).

The hot pretender chick who doesn't add anything to the plot.

The Fallen which was touted as THE most badass villian but ended pawned easily by Prime.

So what else? ah nvm I'll just let the others here add their two cents to this thread...

Edit: Oh btw the DVD of it which I have is usually watched in three parts: Shanghai, Forest battle scene & Egypt. the other scenes are mostly FFWD all the time.

6. davieanix

davieanix Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly ROTF isn't terrible, just some of the plot details, or lack of, put a bit of a downer on it for me. As well as the stupid shit like Devastator's balls and the dogs humping, and Sam's mother.

I don't quite understand how people are saying DOTM is better though. Yes, the bad stuff in ROTF is worse than DOTM's, but I think the epic shit like the forrest fight, the opening in Shanghai, and the final battles are above and beyond any of the best parts in the new one.

In fact all 3 are pretty much the same. It would be interesting to compare all the initial complaints from all the films and see the simularities. I know "Megatron was totally wasted" would be common!

7. Terrorsaur128

Terrorsaur128 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've always been one of the few to abso-freaking-lutely LOVE ROTF and i have since i first watched it. Skids and mudflap were slightly over-used but i thought they were pretty neat, if not slightly ******ed. I thought rotf focused more so on the robots then the humans than the first movie at least. I loved the plot and dont see that many problems with it. Just my opinion anyways, i suppose im one of the very very few who enjoyed it more than the 07 movie.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    >Drawn out, completely unnecessary parts. A lot of the dumb college crap could have been skipped and it wouldn't affect the story at all. The movie is just...too long.
    >Leo didn't contribute anything. Not even joking, you could have left his character completely out and it wouldn't really affect anything other than them finding Simmons, which they probably could have worked around some other way easily. He needed to do more. Alice didn't do anything too. Ok...a threat to Sam at college, they kill her, then what? Completely no contribution to the rest of the movie. Waste of time.
    >Crappy and out of place humor. Decepticons invading and taking over the earth -> Sam's mom making a joke about Soundwave's voice being perverted. Devastator about to destroy the pyramid to get to the doomsday device -> enemy scrotum
    >Megatron saying "there is no command but mine," then literally seconds later groveling and sucking up to The Fallen
    >Devastator was just embarrassing and disappointing. Cool giant combiner only to be taken out easily by some gun in the distance. Most of the same thing could be said about the Fallen.
    >The final battle was too short.
    >Never explained why they couldn't use the Allspark shard to revive Optimus.
    >The whole sequence with Megatron seemed lazily done. First movie Megatron, suddenly completely redesigned second movie Megatron, and then he's suddenly flying near Saturn or whatever. While I'm on that, also a lot of random geography hopping and bad editing.
    >Sacrificing screen time for other more interesting characters for lulz the twinz ya they so grat!

With that being said, I still like the movie..but man it doesn't live up to the other movies at all. It was great after I saw it the first and maybe second time just because of all the mindless action but it's terrible for re-watching value. I watched the first and second movies the day before DOTM came out and I felt bored most of the time while I was watching ROTF. I'm almost glad they made the third movie so you didn't need to see the second movie for anything.

9. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Let's see:

-Soundwave doesn't fight and rapes a satelite
    -The Fallen is a shit villain who does jack shit
    -Devastator is given balls and sucks up sand
    -They use the Allspark fragment to bring back Jetfire when they could have used it to bring back Optimus Prime
    -The macguffin gets destroyed in less then a minute
    -The toilet humour is terrible
    -Leo and the Twins do jack shit

The only good parts are when the Transformers are on screen or when NEST is on screen, that's it. Everything else is one massive facepalm. It is still fun to watch because you can have fun picking apart it's flaws.

10. Rodimus25

Rodimus25 Well-Known Member

I got the walmart big screen edition, and that forest scene is epic!! That has to be one of the top fight sequences in the movieverse... I mean it was epic. And like others have said the opening with optimus taking out that big robot was awesome as well, but most of the things mentioned brings it down as a whole.. Not bad, but not on par with Dotm ..

11. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main problem with RotF was that it was victim of the writers strike, so it was assembled in the editing room. It's pretty clear watching the first half of the movie, that the MacGuffin for the film was intended to be the All Spark fragments (plural, because Soundwave and the Decepticons are still interested in Sam's fragment after Megatron was revived with one... the wheelie-in-the-car-shop scene happens AFTER. THEN the MacGuffin became the knowledge that Sam had in his head. THEN it became the Autobot Matrix of Leadership to activate the Star Harvester.

You have like 3 different ones, because they were likely from 3 different script ideas, two following the plot threads from the first movie, one following from Transformers mythology.

These were all brought together, roughly, with the idea that the Fragmets put its knowledge into Sam's mind, and during the "Sam is dead" scene towards the end, the knowledge put into the Matrix, which was just a key to a machine once upon a time. All of this is implied, and what little of it is said was said by robots added in post-production, not live actors.

So I guess that's the "problem" with RotF. DotM did it right: there was one "MacGuffin" of sorts, the red Pillar, but it was mostly one big response to Sentinel Prime's treason and the Decepticons making sure their plans went off without a hitch. You really cared only about one thing at a time as a viewer. In RotF, what you cared about kept changing.

There's some really good Fan Edits out there that reorganize scenes and "fix" this. One even moves the opening sequence in Shanghai to later in the film to make the film really about the return of Megatron and the Revenge of the Decepticons.

RotF isnt a bad movie; not nearly as bad as its detractors describe. But it is a messy production, but that is a consequence of when it was produced (lots of movies and TV shows were a mess in 2009 for the same reason).

12. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Blah, blah blah..

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    For me it was the bad humor and really jumbled up plot. There just seemed to be too much going on with little development.

14. Gieferg

Gieferg Well-Known Member

Final battle in ROTF is nowhere near final battles in first one and DOTM. It's boring and focuses too much on military, when bots fights are not so good (Shanghai and forest battle are much better than final battle).

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    These are two good, important starting points for a critique of RotF.

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I enjoyed it. The first time I saw it I was coming off a high from seeing Prime kill the Fallen and Megatron... it was fast but scientifically 83,219.54 times more satisfying then Sam reaching up and killing Megatron from the ending of the first movie. After repeat views, however, I did realize that I liked a ton of the scenes but more and more did it seem like a ton of cool scenes strung together with very little sunstance to connect them, and I know that was due in large part to the writer's strike. I think my biggest issue was the potty humor- the balls, the humping dogs, dropped pants (not the parents though, I still say they were the most well written, human characters in the whole series, and were entertaining even though I admit that it shouldn't be a movie about goofy parents). So anyways, I did enjoy it and I was well entertained but the flaws that I mentioned I'm sure could bother poeple enough to hate the movie.

17. Riptor

Riptor Active Member

Although I really liked DOTM, I left the theater with a sour taste in my mouth, so I prefer ROTF.

I loved the humour and their characters (really missed Leo in DOTM), and I think it has more memorable moments than the third one.

18. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    My problems with RotF are this:

It tries to fix the problems with 07, but possibly due to being rushed, it fixes them the wrong way.

"Not enough robot screen time."

Okay, let's put loads of robots in, some who only appear on screen for thirty seconds. And let's give loads of screen time to the Twins - kids'll love them, and they won't irritate anybody at all.

"Prime got his ass handed to him by Megatron, and needed to be saved by humans. Something isn't right there."

Okay, Optimus Prime is now a raging psychopath.

"Megatron got killed by a human, it made him look weak."

Right, now Megatron and his master The Fallen get massacred in twenty seconds flat - but it's by optimus, so it makes him seem badass, right? RIGHT?

"I thought the first film had some good jokes. It had a pretty funny script."

Excellent. Have Leo. And Twins. And Wheelie, he's a sex crazed maniac. What a group of misfits! Also, we can't think of any funny jokes on this time frame, so take some pretty gross sex references and man-thongs.

"I didn't understand some of the first movies plot. Why did the autobots send the allspark away if they knew what would happen without it? Seems a dumb choice."

Read the comics! Also, read the comics for this movie, or you'll have no idea who this old fella in the space-ship is. For some reason, Megatron is now Darth Vader, too.

"The movie was lacking scale. The robots turn up and fight a small skirmish. There's no real sense of threat."

Okay, okay. Stop bugging us. We'll have the fnale happen in Egypt, near the Pyramids. By the sea. And a construction site. And next to Jordan.

"But I'm looking at a map and..."

Shut it. Also, the Smithsonian in Washington is now in the middle of a desert.

That's most of the ones that got me, anyway. The forest scene was spectacular, really great. Not all the jokes were facepalm-worthy. And Megatron got plenty of screentime, which is good because Hugo Weaving has a delicious voice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm so glad someone mentioned this. A lot of people in this thread seem to be overlooking perhaps the biggest contributing factor to the quality (or lack of) of the final product.

I can't recall exactly how long the strike lasted for, but it put a huge delay in the production schedule for the movie, while the release date remained the same. Thus Bay et al were rushing like maniacs to get the film edited on time and they just ran out of time in the end. There are, as everyone has pointed out, some massive pacing issues with RotF - trivial and banal scenes get almost twice as much focus as those detailing key plot points.

Not to mention that the plot itself is just too much overkill with MacGuffins and strands that don't go anywhere. I'm not saying that all the flaws would have been fixed if not for the strike, but even Bay himself has stated that he was editing right up to a few hours before the premiere or the final cut. Perhaps if he had been given a few more weeks/months to sit down and look at the structure of the plot and the focus of specific details, it would have been a lot different than the movie we actually got.

It would be great if Bay could go back one day and re-cut the entire thing, maybe knock 20 minutes to half an hour off the running time and generally make the whole plot a lot tighter. I don't think anything really needs to be re-shot, just trimmed down and a lot of the stuff at the college just snipped out completely.

20. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I like ROTF. It's my least favorite of the three but it's still entertaining IMHO. Main thing that ticks me off is that Megan seemed.....I dunno, it's like she gave up in the acting department (like everyone else would agree). I actually thought she was ok in the first movie though. Then there's Leo....although, I liked him more than Jerry Wang, he was still an annoying little shit. The twins? Meh. I liked them at first. Still do, but I think their role should have been drastically toned-down. And, finally, I hated the freaking military at the end. I applaud every time I see the Fallen throw all those vehicles down the pyramid. :ev: