Ziploc bags HARMFUL to toys?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Sepultron, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Sepultron

Sepultron .

Heard this from my brother: Evidently on the Star Wars site Rebelscum.com ("questionmark" #205- sorry, don't have a link), there is a response to a question about storing action figures stating that store-bought Ziploc or storage bags can actually DAMAGE toys by causing discoloration. Has anyone else heard this before? If this is true, I'm completely screwed.

I'm really, really hoping someone out there can prove this to be false.

2. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

:eek:  HUH ?!?
    Most of my tf collection is in ziplock bags! I hope it is not true...

3. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    next time you have an AOL disc laying around, put it in a ziploc bag and rub the bag against the bottom. You'll notice that the bag scratches the cd badly.

I'm not saying this would happen to a thicker plastic, but who knows?

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I hope it is'nt true since most of mine are sealed as well.
    But there's always been something bugging me about them.
    Like, is it ok for them to not to have air for so long?
    Not sure if toys need to breathe after taken from package.

E3's right on the disc thing, Iv'e scuffed a few games from putting em in bags

Hope the Transmetals are ok.

5. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't noticed anything with my MSIA collection, which has been in Ziplocs for a couple of years now. Perhaps they've fared alright though because they've still been in my room, and thus have not been subject to any extreme temperatures. I could definitely see high heat and humidity plus the Ziplocs potentially discoloring the plastic. Oh, and if my MSIA collection is discolored from being stored in Ziplocs then I'm going to cry.

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I think it has much more to do with the conditions in which the box is stored. If it's in an uninsulated garage/storage shed where there's major fluctuations in heat/humidity, then you're probably in trouble. My vintage SW figs have been in ziploc bags in a box for 6-7 years now (as well as most of the newer figs, lotsa TFs, and dozens of other figs). They're stored inside my parents' house though. I checked on them, particularly the Stormtroopers and such, last year, and they were fine.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed, I would say it has more to do with storage conditions then a plastic/Ziplock bag. Although its not to say that toys being stored in Ziplocks maybe wouldn’t have an effect but again I would say only under particular conditions.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Man this is so not what I wanted to read just a week after I finished packing up my collection. all the parts and a decent number of bots are Ziplocs. They should be ok though, they're not going be moved at all so scratching is unlikely, and they're in basement so temperatures will be regulated.

9. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    This is the first that I've heard about ziplocs, which I'm in agreement with everyone else...climate. I do know that some types of rubber when left in contact with plastic will eat into the plastic. Talk to old (12") Joe and Action Man collectors. I've seen this personally. A friend of mine is a heavy collector of both of those lines. I've been with him while going through collections he's bought, and he'll pull out toys with big rubber hoses from the accessories across other platstic parts, and there will be a deep groove in the plastic where the rubber was. I'm assuming it was something in the rubber they were using back in those days (60s), because I've not seen anything like this on newer toy lines (80s up). Just throwing in my .02.