Ziploc bags are evil Part 2

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Sepultron, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Sepultron

Sepultron .

Check it out, question #10 (scroll down):

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/qm/Question_Mark_208_97810.asp

So anyway... For those of us who have no choice but to store most of our collection at the moment, what are we supposed to use?

Does anyone have any economical non-Ziploc ideas or alternatives for storing TRANSFORMERS that will keep the toys protected, use a minimal amount of space, and slow the evidently inevitable deterioration of the plastic?

Quickly becoming paranoid...

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    You have a bed, right?

Get boxes that roll under your bed. Only 5 or 6 bucks each.

3. Sepultron

Sepultron .

Well... Everything's already in big Rubbermaid tote lockers already. My question is: How do you protect the figures from environmental factors and keep them from getting banged up without using Ziplocs (if these bags actually do the damage this guy says they do)? I mean, yeah, I guess I could wrap all of 'em up in bubble wrap but the amount of space that would take up would be two or three times what I'm using now. Just don't see that happening.

4. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They're plastic...eventually the plastic will break down anyhow.

I switch out my items every year at least. Same goes w/ bagged comics...I try to switch out the bags every few years (or just get rid of the books altogether). Sadly, there isn't a sure fire easy answer to this age old question.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I read the Q & A and now I am feeling paranoid, too. If you leave them outside, you worry about the sun damage and if you keep them in a plastic bag or a container, you worry about the gas (scary) damage.
    Our house can be very hot in summer, so that's another worry. Now I imagine my toys are being gassed in their containers :( 

I am so sad my toys are going to die eventually :cry 

But seems like taking them out of the confinement and play with them occasinally is the best way to air them.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could try something like a tackle box, I'm sure there's some with slots that are about the right size for SW/GI Joe figures. Gotta face it though, these things aren't designed to last forever.

7. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

That's plastic as well. Isn't that going to have the same effect? I would imagine a thick plastic tub giving off way more of these "gases" than a zip-lock bag.

Same with a tackle box. It would seem that anything plastic is bad news.

Perhaps we need high quality vacuum containers. Without exposure to air, I don't think the plastic will degrade. At least not nearly as fast.

Hmmm...

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Eh, there's loose minty G1 TF's still going around that's been stored in about every container imagineable, (bags, styrafoam, cardboard)and after 20yrs they're still fine.

Either vacuum seal em or occasionialy pull them out of their bags and give them some attention and put them back should be enough. lol
    That's also a good way to keep the dust off.
    Probably depends on the quality of the plastic and what type it is.
    Some are more hollow and can crumble more than break in half.

My main worries are the G1's and Transmetal paint.
    And G1 Jetfires whiteness :lol 

9. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    Yeah, right. What they forgot to mention is how many centuries it will take to get that problem.

10. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Anyone really woried can use mylar bags. They are at least acid free, which if toys are anything like archiving or framing (used to work in a custom frame shop) would prevent a great deal of damage caused by the plastics.

No matter what though when you deal with plastics all sorts of bad shit can happen.

11. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is their a particular reason why wrapping them up in bubble wrap isn't a good idea. Because that is pretty much what I have been doing.

12. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I pack them in acid free mylar comic bags

13. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Okay, I've read and reread his response. What he is saying is bad is the gasses given off by our plastic toys being trapped in the airtight bag. So, in theory, if we just leave the ziploc baggies open an bit, it will let the evil gas escape. Yay! All is good in the world again. Also, he's a SW expert, and most of the SW figs I've got seem to be made from a very different kind of plastic than ours. Wonder if that would make a big difference?

14. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

From everything I've read or experienced this is probably tie best way to store toys. They are acid free and not airtight. Plus they were designed to serve as an archival product and if you find a shop that stocks golden age sized bags they can be gotten in different sizes too.

15. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

Sounds a little weird, and expensive.

The dis-coloration aside, what else is going to happen? Is it just going to fall apart? I heard that it takes a plastic bag something like twenty years to decompose in a land fill. I'm sure a collection will be fine stored the way you have it.

Btw, my Jetfire is totally yellowing, what happened there?

16. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well by that logic you could just seal the bag and put small holes it it so it can breath.

17. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I only use plastic bag to hold my not-so-valuable items like BM and action figures. For everything else they are either in their own box, bubble wrap, or cardboard box (the kind you hold cards in) then they are stored inside rubbermaid or bin. I recently inspected all my TFs inside the 'maid and found no damage so I am good for now. I may change the bags every so often to avoid any problem in the future.