Zeta Vs UT - A Combaticon Comparisson

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Orion2703, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter TFW2005 Supporter

So, mp scale combiners eh? Who'd have thought it.
    But with that comes an important question, which one is right for you? Well having an inquiring sort of mind I thought it might be fun to compare the 2 sets using my own arbitrary set of rules, awarding points to each set where I think they hit the mark and see which come out on top by the numbers, and if that's also the set I prefer.

Now, given there is only 1 of the Zeta set out and 2 of the UT this is an initial in hand comparison only, though all being well I'll be revisiting the thread and doing direct comparisons to each of the bots as they come.

The comparison will be split into 4 sections, general/bot mode/alt mode/combined mode with 5/3/2/3 points available in each category. Its worth mentioning that price is not factored in here, but for the record the Zeta ones are cheaper by some margin.

General
    1: Materials

UT - the set has their trademark softer plastic with a textured feel, its not bad but it doesn't have that premium feel to it. Its also more easily damaged I would say, and there are several stress marks on joints on my copies.

Zeta - its a hard, dense abs plastic that feels nice and strong. No sign of weakness or breakage.

Result : 1 point to Zeta

2: Hardware
    We're talking ratchets and joint tolerances

UT - a mixture of resistance joints and ratchets. Some of the ratchets are softer than others and don;t feel amazing, but they're not bad and do the job fine. Teeth spacing is good.There are some real tolerance issues on mine to the point where it feels hinges are going to break.

Zeta - ratchets everywhere and they are extremely well done. Teeth spacing is great and the combiner elbow is hella strong. A few tight double hinges but noting feels like its near breaking.

Result : 1 point to Zeta

3: Paint/Finish/Colour Breakup

UT - Brawl has more than Swindle but both have enough highlights to be interesting, with brawl having a nice gunmetal on the tracks. Light piping eyes suck, but that's imo. Colours are a bit muted for my liking but not bad.

Zeta - Slightly more paint but it does seem prone to rub in some areas. The plastic has a nice metallic sheen to it that makes it present better overall.

Result: 1 point each as both do a decent job.

4: Transformations

UT - nicely intuitive for the most part, with a couple of frustrating tabbing issues her and there.

Zeta - simple and straight forward with a couple of clearance issues.

Result: 1 point each

5: Source Accuracy

UT - nigh on perfect, nuff said.

Zeta - not bad, its definitely blast off but there are enough form deviations that its not a dead ringer. if only he;d looked like the box art.

Result: 1 point to UT

Overall UT - 3/5, Zeta 3/5
    Both sets have strength and weaknesses and come out on par.

Bot Mode
    Where we will have some pics :D 

Scale/Size (no scale charts please)

UT - coming in at seeker chin height these are bang on for me

Zeta - almost head height with a seeker, which is a bit too big for my tastes.

Result: 1 point to UT

[​IMG]

Articulation

UT - great range across the board with no real hindrances anywhere

Zeta - hes got it all, but there is so much chunkiness to him that you lose a lot of range. The bicep swivel is cut too high so rotating the arms up means you can't use it. Kibble gets in the way. he can pose but its takes more effort and is more limited.

Result - 1 point to UT

[​IMG]

Clean Up

UT - super clean, kibble free. Perfect

Zeta - way too much kibble

Result - 1 point to UT

Overall UT - 3/3, Zeta 0/3
    Not Zeta area of forte, the bot is fine, but UT knock this out of the park.

Alt Mode

Scale

UT - swindle is a good size, being comparable to mp cars, brawl is far too small, but that's kinda expected.

Zeta - a great bug chunky shuttle as big as a seeker, nice.

[​IMG]

Clean Up

UT - nice clean vehicles, no obvious robot kibble barring looking directly at the underside.

Zeta - completely clean, perfect in fact

Overall UT - 2/2, Zeta 2/2

Both sets have no issues and work well in alt mode

Combined Mode (This is very early impressions only mind you)

Scale

UT - big, but a hairs breadth too short for what I want really and a little skinny maybe

Zeta - perfect, full on mp scale and great bulk

Result: 1 point to Zeta

Clean Up

UT - yep, nice clean legs, no issue there

Zeta - a couple of panels on the arm, again no issue really.

Strength/Stability

UT - the ankle joints I find incredibly worrying tbh, they are stiff to the hand with just the feet but with a leg on move far too freely for my liking. They should have been ratcheted, period. Rubber pads are included, but I get the feeling this was a cheap alternative.

Zeta - same connector as constructor, and both the combiner port and elbow ratchet are super strong. Gives a really good feel.

Result - 1 point to Zeta

Overall UT - 1/3, Zeta 3/3

Final Scores
    If I've added up correctly its UT 9 / Zeta 9

My thoughts? I was actually expecting UT to come out no top really, but in hand there are a few things materials and presentation wise that feel lacking when compared to Zeta. The UT set nails the bot modes, but they lack a bit of presence for me, and the combiner ankle feels awful, I'm not sure how that will hold up but I'd doubt it'll be stable in any kind of dynamic pose at this point. They feel like they are not up to current combiner technology if I'm brutally honest.

As for Zeta, as a split of company its a risk on a 1st venture but they have come out of the blocks running. The bot mode is contentious to say the least, but actual quality is great and it feels much better than the more expensive UT set.

So, who would I recommend? At this point its as we thought in that it totally depends on what you want them for.
    Bot mode display, then UT nails it, end of conversation.

But for combined mode I really think Zeta has nothing to worry about at this point.

Personally, I feel a lot better about Zeta after handling the UT figures, and that is the set I'll have in combined mode for sure based on the results so far. But the UT set may have to have a bot display of their own. My favorite is Zeta.

All being well I'll add other comparisons as the bots are released and add more photos to them.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Orion2703

Reserved

3. Orion2703

Reserved

4. Orion2703

Reserved

5. Orion2703

Reserved

6. Orion2703

Reserved

7. Orion2703

Reserved

8. kaizen3121

kaizen3121 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Enjoy yoyour u style of review. Keep it going!