Zeta Gundam questions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by LigerPrime, Apr 17, 2007.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm interested in watching the Zeta Gundam anime but the thing is which form should I watch? The TV series or the recently movie trilogy? Can anyone here give me their views before I start hunting for either versions? :) 

2. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I would go with the TV series. Since the TV series is lined up for Gundam ZZ and then the movie chars counterattack. Where the movies right ZZ right out of the timeline and go straight to the movie chars counterattack.

Also the new animation does not fit well at all times.

3. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Huh? You mean the movie totally removes ZZ? How did they do they that?! Thanks for the reply though!

4. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Personally I thought the movie trilogy was terrible. Compressing 50 episodes into 3 movies doesn't work, and too many important things were left off.

5. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Gotta agree, go with the TV series. I tried watching the movies without finishing the series but by the time I got to the third movie there was so much happening without explanation that I gave up. You can probably still get the box set online at a pretty good price.

6. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Ok guys, TV series is the way to go for me then! :D 

7. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Definatley TV series.

Here is my recommendations.

Gundam 0079 MOVIES I-III

Gundam 0080

Gundam Zeta TV

Gundam Chars Counter Attack

Gundam F-91

Gundam Victory

I still need to see Turn A Gundam but other than that I have seen them all and these are my favorites in chronological order.

8. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Not that you need it, but I'll also recommend watching the tv series. As was mentioned previously, the movies retcon ZZ and CCA. Plus, you would miss alot just watching the movies. I would say the movies are just something cool to watch after you've seen the series and feel like watching Zeta but not committing to watching the entire series again.

9. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

If you have any questions about Gundam, I could probably help as I've seen every series and most of the movies. Haven't watched Igloo yet though.

10. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

The TV series, definitely. The movies don't only compress the show: they radically change the events and outcome of the show, starting with film 2. This is due to "Happy Tomino" directing, as opposed to the "Angry Tomino" of the 80s and early 90s...

I really need to watch Zeta again. It's been almost a year now since I last saw it....

11. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I would also recommend the TV Series. Now if Bandai USA will release ZZ Gundam...

12. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Though I will admit, I did like some of his "happy" animes, like Turn A and Gainer. I just wish he wouldn't dismiss his older work because his wife has his balls.

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    So any reasons why Tomino decided to give the Zeta movies a happier ending?

14. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

His wife. She said Zeta was too dark.

15. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Zeta Gundam was one of the darkest Gundam series ever (topped only by V Gundam).

The movies totally eliminate ZZ from the timeline, which throws a bunch of things of the timeline out of whack. Also, the editting is awful. Stick with the series.

Also, if you can find it, try to get ZZ gundam. Granted you can only find bootleg copies, but the one I have is pretty decent and the show IS good once you get past the first few episodes... they really made it wacky to compensate for the dark ending of Zeta... but other than that, it is really good.

16. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Well, Tomino was rather severely depressed during the 90s, which contributed to the overly dark tone of Victory Gundam (this may have reached back into the 80s as well, I'm not sure at the moment). He pulled out of it sometime before Turn A, as evidenced by the relatively happy ending of that show (I hear it's happier, at least).

Lemme check on Wiki, hold on...

17. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

good point about "Happy Tomino" I would love to see "H.T."'s take on Aura Battler Dunbine or Space Runaway Ideon. As to the question at hand go with the tv version.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'm a big Gundam fan, and I say stick with the series, then watch the movies afterwards.

Look, guys. I've followed the show. Seen it twice. I consider Char's Counterattack and the original Gundam trilogy to be great movies.

And even *I* got confused during the Zeta Trilogy.

It's so confusing. Things happen entirely at random. It's 3 hours of this:
    T0: someone shows up
    T+1 minute: That person gives a speech. People seem to know who he is.
    T+2 minutes: That person dies. Gives a death speech.
    T+3 minutes: the whole cast cries because that person died.
    T+4 minutes: they never mention that person again.

It's like that...over and over. I love the new animation, but I wish the WHOLE movies were done that way. I do not even BELIEVE how jarring some of the transitions can be. Was Tomino just feeling cheap????

19. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Tomino has recently made The Wings of Rean, which is Dunbine without the mecha. Dunbine was originally written by Tomino without any mecha, so I'd imagine it would be truer to what he originaly envisioned. There's also another OVA and he wrote novels as he did with Gundam.

20. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Umm, Wings of Rean does have some crazy bug mecha in it, ala Dunbine.

On another note, I found Victory's depressing events to be spread out more throughout the series, thus not as bad as the horrors at the end of Zeta.

As for Tomino and happy endings, just look at Brain Powerd. Even people that really, really needed to die got to live. I'll see whether Turn A is more along this vein, as I'm more than halfway through it now (it's the last Gundam animation I need to see...after that, I think I'm going to feel a little empty inside).