Zarak's Eyes are wrong

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Nov 4, 2011.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I grabbed the Head Master Warriors box set.
    Black Zarak - Knock Off Transformers - TFW2005

And the very first thing I thought when I pulled out this guy was:
    "What the slag? Who painted his eyes wrong?...Oh shit it's Lord Zarak! I got a defective Lord Zarak."
    So then i when online and saw that's how he's always been painted....

I would like to point out: It was so obvious he's eye's were painted wrong; that i noticed that fact before recognizing the bot in question.

Has anyone else noticed this? And please tell me I'm just point out something everyone already know.

Left: Real Paint job------------Right: How it's was ment to be?

Attached Files:

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You know, I've had Scorponok since 1987 and this is the first time I've ever picked up on that. And it makes perfect sense to paint them like on the right too! It evens out the size of the head and the body a bit - makes the actual head look the correct relative size.

3. Percy Harvin

Percy Harvin Banned

That's pretty funny. Any early promotional stuff that may be different from the G1 release?

4. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Just went upstairs to check mine, and both my original and KO are painted like the one on the left. I may just try repainting the KO to look like yours though, it does even out the head quite a bit.

5. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    while were taking about zaraks head ... i didnt know until i saw a toy review that he was a normal head master. i thiought he was like fort max and had 2 headmasters.

6. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Contains nuts

News Credits:
    This has bugged me (on and off) since I got him in '87. Were Hasbro trying to make the face seem larger than originally intended or was it completely unintentional?

7. Percy Harvin

Percy Harvin Banned

What's funny is that it goes against the G1 aesthetic of smaller eyes with exaggerated facial features which is what makes a lot of the heads for early Transformers so iconic.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    The real paint job makes his helmet not look absurdly gigantic, but at the cost of making his face look tiny. The "correct" paint job the opposite.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original deco designer just got confused on what pair of polygons were the eyes.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Didn't realise there was a thread for this already in the right place so I'll just paste over what I posted in the other one:

The big eyes are the correct way. I think the head was probably molded originally so it had a set of big eyes to match the in-helmet scale of Scorponok but also the smaller eyes below so they would match if the head was placed on a regular Headmaster figure. Since the head would mostly be used on the Scorponok figure the big eyes were the ones that got the paint apps. But as said just above it could've also been a mistake on the part of the person making the mask for the paint apps.

10. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    all headmaster figures use the 'big eyes' apart from highbrow, who has an oddly different aesthetic for his face. What look like the small eyes aren't really meant to be eyes at all. The bes examples I think are Chromedome and Hardhead. Look at their toys and it looks like the small eyes are what should be painted but look at the boxart and the unpainted forehead part should be a visor. I think zarak is the only headmaster figure to have this part painted as it should be.

11. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What the hell's the point of even molding the smaller eyes on then?

12. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just looked up a bunch of the odd head masters. I only see one pair of eyes on all head except HardHead: Who wouldn't look bad ether way.

But i agree with TJ Duckett above. What's the point of doing it like that at all? That really doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Weren't Headmaster's swapable? Maybe the big eyes are meant for the big toys and the small eye are meant for the smaller toys, to try and keep the faces proportioned?

It does seem weird. I see what he means about the other eyes on Chromdome and Hardhead. Chromdome has a visor, and had their eyes been painted like that, they would've looked closer to the TV models.