Yu-Gi-Oh! Appreciation

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Dremare, Jun 16, 2011.

1. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I love Yu-Gi-Oh! I still play Stairway To The Destined Duel on my Gameboy Micro every day during my break at work and I watch the original Yu-Gi-Oh every Saturday morning. I still buy a few of the older cards, but I haven't messed with anything after GX. That new cartoon is pretty stupid though. It's not as good as the original or GX in my opinion.

I might pick up one of the newer Yu-Gi-Oh video games and some of the new cards soon just to stay up to date on everything.

2. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

Well, with 5D's and Zexal, they both introduce two fairly interesting Summoning Systems. 5D's's Synchro Summoning proves to be a somewhat useful system, especially if the decks are specially made for using it, while Zexal's Xyz Summoning is twice as useful, and twice as easy, since you can just build an entire deck using the required levels the Xyz Monster needs to summon it.

Just to raise another topic, what type of decks do you guys like to play? For me, I use different specialized decks. Right now, I have an Elemental Hero deck, a Spellcaster deck, a Synchro deck, and a Gemini deck, and I'm planning on adding a Machine, Dragon, Fairy, Fiend, Warrior, and Ice Barrier decks to that collection. I'm also planning on making a Gusto-Gishki combo deck once those cards are released in actual Boost Packs, and not in Duel Terminals. And a deck that uses the strategy of removing cards from play sounds helpful, too.

3. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I've heard about the usefulness of the Synchro Summoning, but it sounded kind of complex at first. I'll have to try it out soon. The Xyz summoning sounds pretty intteresting as well. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I've always used a Spellcaster/Dark Magician deck in the older video games and in real life back around 2002-2005. I've had a few other decks, but I've always kept a Spellcaster deck as my main one. Once I move on to the new stuff, I'll have to change it up.

4. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    Wow I loved playing yu-gi-oh in the old days. I used to run with my best friend the Yu-gi-oh leauge at our local Books A Million. I still like the show but I have not collected the cards in awhile.

5. Dremare

Same here. I thought Synchro Summoning was complex at first, but after using it in a duel against my friend, I found out it was easier to do than I originally thought. The only hard thing is that you need to make sure the total levels of the monsters you use equal the Synchro Monster's own level.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Books A Million eh? I remember a bunch of people from my Yugioh forum talking about that place back in the day. Not that I remember who they were or anything, but you know. :) 

7. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Watts and Naturia.
    Love 'em to death.

8. badlander86

badlander86 Expendable Tactician

Fiend and LV were my faves back in the day.

I still feel like the LV system came and went without much fanfare. I thought most of the cards had pretty decent effects.

9. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    *thinks back to my Ultimate Insect deck...*

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

My decks are:

Morphtronic
    Gladiator Beasts
    Beast Warriors
    Six Samurai

Six Samurai was built during the time of Strike of Neos, and hence required a lot of field presence to work, meaning it has to either work well or fail entirely. I only had one Grandmaster of the Six Samurai, but I ran two Enishi, Shien's Chancellor, which helped keep the deck alive. I think Morphtronics really threw this deck down the drain, though.

My Morphtronic deck was a simple lockdown/counter trap deck. In fact, it was almost always filled with traps, since it relied heavily on trap locks (I only had one Boarden). No Entry, Morphtronic Bind, it played a lot with traps so that Morphtronic Celfon could safely summon with it's effect. It was often used to summon another Celfon, as it loved to mill through the deck (the traps meant fewer monsters). It's still my most powerful deck to date, being a lockdown deck, it shuts down every other deck I have easily. The usual killing move is a Celfon Swarm with Radion and Boarden, to directly attack for the win. I've since modified it with Tuners, so that it can Synchro Summon. As it stands, Stardust Dragon is it's usual choice, as it's ability to negate cards fits in very well with the deck. In a perfect world, if I had the card, I'd also use Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, because the deck focused mainly on the field rather than the hand, and a level Six summoning is much easier considering the multitude of level 3 monsters.

My Beasst Warriors deck is my childhood deck, and still my favourite deck because of it's ludicrous-ness. It focuses on quick aggro, and uses a core of Enraged Battle Ox, King Tiger Wanghu, Chiron the Mage and Exarion Universe, with a hell of a lot of Equip Spells thrown in. My favourites were always Big Bang Shot, Ballista of Rampart Smashing, Axe of Despair and, arguably my favourite card of all time, Shooting Star Bow - Ceal. The strategy was simple: use Enraged Battle Ox to get instant piercing effect for all your monsters, or add a Big Bang Shot for the same effect. Exarion Universe also pierced with it's effect, which is not a problem with an Equip Spell or two. Often, the deck would aim to have the upper hand within the first turn, and with the opponent likely placing monsters Face-Down if you haven't show Big Bang Shot yet, then adding a Ballista was like rubbing salt in the wound. The idea was the the opponent couldn't defend, and in the end, you'd weaken one of your monsters with Shooting Star Bow - Ceal to directly kill. It, of course, fails against trap-based decks, and hence why my Morphtronic Deck has no trouble beating this.

The Gladiator Beast Deck needs no explanation, it's a basic Gyzarus Abuse deck. I took out two Bestiaris to comply with the Limited status, and that was about it. It really didn't need much else, it still destroys most things, and is probably the only one that stand a chance against my Morphtronic Deck should they ever face each other.

11. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
  12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yeah, I hadn't gotten around to playing on there yet, but it seems like a really nice alternative to YVD, and many (if not most) of the people who I've come across prefer it.

13. dragonlord2200

dragonlord2200 Dark Lord Of The Abyss

....... How long has there been a thread 4 this? But yeah im a flamvell player but unlike most players who uar flamvell i run no lightsworn

14. Treadshot A1

Not long. And why no Lightsworn? I understand the two archetypes work well together in a deck.

Also, what's the most splashable card in existence? I know the first one is obviously Monster Reborn, because everything barring Macro decks can use it, and Mirror Force also takes its worthy place up there, along with Lightning Vortex. But there has got to be some newer and perhaps less obvious splashable cards.

My first thoughts go to Stardust Dragon and Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, as they both work in most Synchro decks, and they're effects are universally good. No Entry, even though a common card, actually proves to be a useful trap, just like Sakuretsu Armor.

What else is there?

15. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Book of Moon is another card I see get abused often.

16. Dremare

Raigeki, the original version of Lightning Vortex. Raigeki, unlike Lightning Vortex, destroys every single monster on your opponent's side without a cost, while Lightning Vortex destroys only your opponent's face-up monsters, and you have to discard a card to activate it.

Another card I consider a splashable card is Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, since it can remove three cards from play at once (one from the hand, one from the field, and one from the Graveyard). Not to mention it has a fairly high ATK power.

But one that is DEFINITELY a splashable card is Ally of Justice Catastor. The thing destroys every monster that isn't Dark, and it doesn't matter what the ATK power of the opposing card is, it's still destroyed. Which is probably why I'm trying to find cards that negate effects, like Rainbow Veil, to fight against it (My best friend has one, which annoys me when he summons it).

17. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    scrap iron scarecrow is a good card for nearly every deck, I think my sister has 3 in her synchro deck, so frustrating when she has the 3 of them out.

18. Treadshot A1

Oh yeah, Scrap Iron Scarecrow is annoying, as works just about anywhere. Magic Cylinder also gets it's worthy place up there, just for being a pain in the ass, and so does Ring of Destruction.

I think most of the best Synchro Monsters, specifically the ones that don't have specific tuners necessary, are splash able. Stardust Dragon, Brionac, Trishula, Catastor, and I'm sure there were others.

I suppose Chimeratech Fortress Dragon also counts, as Cyber Dragon itself is splash able, and so many monsters are machines these days, what with Gadgets, Morphtronics and whatnot.

I also found a really annoying combo when I pulled out my deck earlier tonight. Using three cards: Gladiator Beast Bestiari, Double Tag Team and another Gladiator Beast, the idea is basically to have all three on the field (which isn't hard if you use Hoplomus as the third due to his sky high defence stats) during your Main Phase 1. Contact Fuse Bestiari to your third Gladiator Beast, and summon Gyzarus. Chain the effect of Double Tag Team onto Gyzarus' summoning effect, so that Double Tag Team activates first. Since you just sent Bestiari to your deck, bring it out again with Double Tag Team, and then let Gyzarus destroy 2 cards. Then Contact Fuse Bestiari with Gyzarus to make another Gyzarus, and destroy 2 more cards. Its so easy to pull off if you run some search cards, and costs you nothing. At least, I think it works. You can use Gyzarus as fusion material, right?

19. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Surprised no one's mentioned Black Rose Dragon yet.

I love summoning it, blowing up the field, and then either reviving Black Rose, or summon another powerful monster for major damage.

20. Dremare

What about Colossal Fighter? In a dedicated Warrior deck, he's an ABSOLUTE MONSTER. And his effect allows him to bring himself back from the Graveyard (His effect doesn't say anything about him not being able to).