Yu-Gi-Oh! Appreciation

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Dremare, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Alright, since I've become a fan of the game once more, due to my best friends, and the fact that I've noticed that there's a lack of Yu-Gi-Oh threads here, I'll take the honor and make one.

And to make this first post noteworthy, I'll put this up:

JEFusion- "Yu-Gi-Oh!" Sets New Guinness Record

2. badlander86

badlander86 Expendable Tactician

Damn it!

I was heavily into Yu-Gi-Oh! in the early days when Jinzo was the most irritating card on the field and when Dark Ruler Ha Des went to the graveyard, he was staying there.

I was a pretty big fan of a lot of the theme decks near the GX era. Played a pretty solid Fiend deck centered around HaDes and Necrofear (followed by a Return from the D.Dimension) before moving on to Six Samurai, then revisiting Mystic Swordsman/Armed Dragon Level deck then a classic Fiend/Evil Hero mix where Evil Hero Malicious Edge cause a lot of problems for me because of its "Earth" element.

I eventually gave up the game when it started getting too fast with the Synchro combos and just in time too with the Zombie revival. Went on to Magic which was starting to slow down, but gave that up as well.

Between the two, Yu-Gi-Oh! tends to be a little more fun, maybe thanks to the fiction that accompanies it but it is also the more expensive of the two games if you're talking about buying singles and such.

Heh, I'm still sourcing for an Armed Dragon Lv 10 mint...just for old times sake.

3. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell yeah, I love Yu-Gi-Oh!. I had stopped collecting once my favorite card as a kid was finally released, and I had gotten one (Zera the Mant), but I recently got back into it thanks to some of my college friends (man, Synchro summoning took some getting used to). I always found it interesting how the game would go through various eras, based on what cards were popular, like the Monarch era, or the current Synchro era.

Don't really miss the Chaos days, though...

4. badlander86

Chaos screwed the format really. Who needed Chaos Emperor Dragon when Chaos Sorcerer alone could win games in a couple of turns?

5. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I cannot tell you on how pissed I get when I play against one of my best friends when he uses a Six Samurai deck (BTW, don't know if you know this, but they created a sub-archetype of Six Samurai called Legendary Six Samurai). They are so easy to use for a cheap deck. I keep losing to it. The only time any of my decks beat his Six Samurai deck is when we traded decks for a duel, and I lost. Again.

Synchro Summoning is pretty useful, isn't it? Well, I find it useful. But the newest type of Summoning, Xyz Summoning (which, by the way, sounds kinda stupid to me. It was fan-translated as Exceed Summoning before they officially romanized it), is even more useful. You can make an entire deck based on a particular Level, and when you have the required number of Monsters, you can summon an Xyz Monster.

I don't think I mad any sense, did I?

6. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not a fan tranlation, it's what the characters actually say in the anime. Have to wonder what crack KDE was on when they decided to turn Exceed to Xyz.

7. badlander86

An homage to the legendary XYZ-Dragon Cannon perhaps?

Six Samurai vs Gladiator Beasts is always a fun match. The Gladiators have just enough power and toolbox ability to have an advantage but an early Grandmaster of the Six Samurai tends to be a kick in the balls...Like a turn 1 Cyber Dragon does.

8. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Oh yea, Cyber Dragon-themed decks usually piss me off. Well, Chimeratech Overdragon and Chimeratech Fortress Dragon are the ones that piss me off the most.

9. TheFallen

TheFallen Megatronus

News Credits:
    Made total sense to me. The thing I like about the Xyz monsters is that they could fit into any deck, no need for specific cards like tuners or ritual cards just two monsters who are the same level.

10. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I use to be heavily into the card game, but stopped when the 5ds cards started rolling out, not that I hate the 5ds stuff, I just couldn't keep with the card game any more. I played a Warrior equip deck and a dragon deck which mixed the two Dragon structures together. Haven't really been keeping up with Zexal, but I play the video games, I play the HELL out of Tag Force 5.

11. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Yea, I did the same. But after I figured out how Synchro Summoning worked, I become one big fan again. I'm afraid that I'll end up going even deeper into the rabbit hole with this, though. XP

12. badlander86

From the perspective of a guy who still believes that Blue-Eyes White Dragon is the GREATEST normal monster in the game, the Synchro system sped up the game to a point where player to player interaction was bare and too brief.

Take for example the heyday of Plague-Spreader Zombie which was all too easily fetched, sacced for the Synchro summon, and has a play-life of at least three turns, easily able to churn out two game winning Synchro summons in one turn if you had the better hand.

13. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Actually, I think the Blues-Eyes White Dragon is still the greatest normal monster in the game. But I don't think the Synchro System didn't speed up the game at all. Considering how long it takes sometimes for me and my friend to finish one duel, I think it just allows for a quicker summoning.

14. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I think in competitive Yugioh, the speed was already so fast Sycnhro couldn't speed that up any further. I mean look at the popular deck types: DDT, Dark Armed Dragon, Gyzarus Abuse...

Almost every deck type that's been successful has been speed based, at least up until the time I quit. If not speed, then complete control, as shown by the Counter Fairy decks from Enemy of Justice.

Thus, there's little from for Synchro to really speed up anything any further. In fact, Synchro, in my opinion, is just like Contact Fusion; it's a faster way to fuse, because frankly Polymerisation is an absolute joke of a card nowadays. The only real impact of the initial Synchro Monsters was, surprisingly, Stardust Dragon, probably the only star card of a main character to ever be that useful in actual play (let's face it, Dark Magician wasn't that great, Elemental Heroes are useless), as it really allowed speed decks to combine with a low-cost Solemn Judgement, basically screwing up any play the opponent might make. Then of course, they got more and more Synchro Monsters, but even of those, a lot were themed jokes, like Moon Dragon Quilla and Sun Dragon Imri (?). Only Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier was good, actually very, very good, but that was it.

Since the game wasn't really going anywhere anymore, I quit after Hidden Arsenal. To this day, I still have all my cards, my favourite decks (I'm spoilt, but even I don't have the cash for DDT or all the other strong decks) are split between Gyzarus Abuse, a Beast Warrior Piercing Deck and a third Six Samurai deck. I don't play anymore, but I keep'em around for nostalgic purposes.

Now someone can come and correct me on everything, since I quit after Hidden Arsenal, I've not kept up with the latest news. Plague spreader Zombie was the last real threat card I remember, before leaving the game for good.

15. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    to me, Synchro Summoning has completely broken the game for me, so much, i refuse to duel my little brother anymore for those bullshit cards. i mean seriously, you get something like stardust dragon or his many powered-up forms on the field it completely stalls the game, it is just utter bullshit and doesn't help the little punk cheats

i use mainly a water deck, and i still love my mobius the frost monarch, one of the best damn cards in the fucking game, along with levia dragon-daedleus

i like a long duel that is back and forth and overall a fun time, synchro monsters are WAY WAY overpowered in those effects and pretty much kill any fun

16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    While it's true that I preferred the game quite a bit more before the introduction of the Syncho Mechanic because singular cards couldn't create as much of a impact on their own as they can now (actually, before PTDN was released anyway), I also think the last couple of formats we've had (aka, the ones without Heavy Storm) have easily been the best ones since then.

As a whole however, I've been playing since the beginning, and I still play today because I still enjoy it. Like, I might not have the money required to make every deck that I'd like (let alone travel to big events), but YugiohETC keeps me on my feet, and I've honestly put way to much into it to turn back now.

17. badlander86

I recall quitting shortly after Plaguespreader made waves as well.

Still, I love the game but I just wish the fiction returned back to the days of Kaiba and Yugi. I'm guessing everyone here has seen the Abridged series at least once.

And since we're on the Toyark, I might as well link up some Yugi-Oh! Merch news:
    Tomopop Review: Kotobukiya's Yu-Gi-Oh One Coin Set, Volume 2 - TOMOPOP - COLLECTIBLE TOY CULTURE - Vinyl toys, Papercraft, Garage kits, Gamer toys, Japanese toys, robots, movie toys, and more.

I'd get these guys only for Kaiba, High Priest Kaiba, Kisara and Blue-Eyes. Except these little guys go for way too much on the single market.

On the subject of Synchro, I still think the whole concept was geared to the super-competitive TCG/OCG tourney players who loved the heck out of those cards but rendered anything before almost completely obsolete. Sangan, Mystic Tomato...tutors like that still have a place in any deck of course, but play a Tyrant Dragon themed deck now and you're likely to get laughs from your opponent.

On a side note, I still have my half-done pet project of trying to build an anime-accurate Kaiba deck. I even have Saggi!

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Those are pretty amazing (especially the Dark Magician Girl of course), which reminds me.

... I've always wanted one of those Millennium Puzzle trophies, but I was too much of a scrub back in the day.

19. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I think that i tolerate Synchro because they were all either extremely splashable cards, or they were themed for a particular deck. Synchros weremade to support all the decktypes that were famous, and hence things stayed fair enough, as everyone had their own Synchro to use to fight everyone else's.

I actually think that Synchro was more geared towards little kids, actually. While Yugioh has always been a collecting thing, it's never had the ideals of Pokemon or TF Armada, where the idea was to "collect them all". The idea of little pieces that can then work together, that made you want to collect each part and the ultra-rare synchro monster to use them with, that was geared to kids imo. I mean, have they ever made a Dark Armed Dragon tin? No. Have they ever made a Diamond Dude Turbo tin? No. But right whenit came out, Stardust Dragon and Red Dragon Archfiend already had tins. They were made for kids to emulate the show, and increase collectibility, or at least that's how i see it.

20. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I saw the first wave at an anime store, those are ADORABLE! I want the DMG. There's also this thing but it seems harder to find these days:
    Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D`s D Wheel Yusei Go (Completed) Konami Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D`s

I never got it, due to the fact that it was always a tad bit too expensive for me to justify...
    Stardust Dragon is easily my favrioute card because it stops a lot of staples.