Ys anyone?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by chapsy, Feb 3, 2011.

1. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

I've been on this binge with playing Ys (pronounced Eese) games lately.
    I just beat Book 1 on DS, currently playing Ark of Napishtim on PS2, Oath in Felghana(remake of Book III) on PSP, and Book II on DS. Also have Ys 7 that I have yet to play, looks incredible though.
    Really excited for the PSP remakes of Books I and II for PSP, they look so much better with all the updates!
    Is anyone else a fan of these games? Or Nihon Falcom in general. If nothing else their music is incredible.

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I played 1 & 2 on the DS and they were fun, kinda short but fun.

3. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

yea, books I and II are pretty short. I like how the DS Versions are sort of a throwback to 16 bit RPG;s.
    The updated combat system in the PSP versions, as well as the graphics and music, are making it a must buy.
    YouTube - Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles: Gameplay Trailer
    love the music progression from 1988 to now. Freaking awesome.

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Yes please!!

have 1 and 2 on the Wii, 3 and 4 on an emulator, gonna take a miracle to get the rest though.

5. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

yea, what was 5 on?
    also how is 4? never played it.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't wait for I & II. I played One on Sega Master System

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

It was a return to the combat system from 1 and 2, just more unforgiving on the hitting on and angles things, and more unforgiving when they hit you. I didn't get very far in as of yet. I got distracted by other games and kinda forgot about it.

need to pick it back up again when I tire of Perpetuum.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Played some Oath of Felgana last night. Love that game.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    5 was on SNES and was later ported to the original Playstation.

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I've only had the chance to play Ys III on the SNES years ago. I've been meaning to play the other games, though.

11. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

just beat Oath in Felghana a couple nights ago. Pretty fukken epic.
    started playing Ys VII last night. Graphics and gameplay are nice, but the lack of voices kinda bugs me.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely picking up I & II next week. I'm kinda bummed that the special edition content is only available to physical copies, because I'm getting this digitally. God of War allowed you download the soundtrack and extras digitally.

13. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

that kinda sucks :( 
    I also got I, II, III, and VI for pc.
    I only have a Toshiba Netbook, and III runs at max settings averaging 45ish fps. I was amazed. Everything is in HD too. It looks incredible!(compared to the PSP version anyways.)...no voices in these either though, they were added in for the PSP versions :( .
    Won't share any links since it's copyrighted, but if you google enough you can find English patched versions of all 4. Definintely give them a play if you're wanting to experience some good ol' 2D hack and slash RPG goodness.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just loved the music to Ys1, even on the Sega Master System. That's one of the things I'm anticipating most about this new release.

15. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

^There are definitely some classics in there. I love me some Falcom Sound Team.

Been playing a lot of Ys VII lately. It's...different. Very different from previous entries, but still incredibly fun. You have two other CPU players that you can switch between on the fly. This makes for some interesting strategies since certain enemies are weak against certain characters' weapons. Also the synth system is a lot like Monster Hunter. You come across various materials in the field and via enemy drops that you stockpile and use to make weapons and armor.
    Graphics are really nice too, for a psp game. Lack of voices kind've bugs me...but given some of the VA choices in Oath in Felghana that might be a blessing in disguise.
    If you're an Ys/Falcom fan definitely pick this one up.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Started playing Ys 1 on the new PSP Collection. Missed that Music so much. I guess the Master System game didn't start in the coastal town, because I didn't recognize that town. But when I went North and found the other city, it all became familiar.

17. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

Barbado was added in for I Eternal for PC. I kinda like it cause it expands on the story a little bit. It does throw you for a loop if you;re expecting to start in Minea though. I had no idea what to do when I started playing Legacy of Ys on DS.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for clearing that up. I felt like I was missing something, or maybe that I wasn't remembering the game right. But I knew for a fact that it wasn't a coastal town.

I bought the game digitally, but it kinda sux, because the manual comes with cool maps and stuff, but it's a digital manual, so If I want to refer to a map, I have to quit the game. I can always look online, but I love reading all the little additions to the game manual.

19. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

haha I feel ya. One of the things I always did as a kid was read the manual before anything else. I wanted to read about the characters and the story, memorize the controls, and check out all the cool little goodies inside, like character art or the mini-comic that was in the MGS2 manual(I think it was 2 anyway.)

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Hahaha, I still do that. I did it yesterday with Ys, just digitally. That's why I was a huge Zelda fan, because those games almost always came packed with maps and HUGE manuals with all this info about the characters etc etc.