Youtube Copyright?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Mar 26, 2010.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I looked online and people said that this strike may get removed within 6 months.... But its been 6 months....

In the past before I made my own videos, I uses to upload videos thats are not owned by me., and they all got Copyrighted and removes,
    I noticed that after 6 months, the strikes were gone!
    But this was like in 2008.

Can someone explain to me if this will ever go away or will it be there forever?
    Like research it for me... Just help me in anyway possible... x-D
    (P.S. - And yes I have deleted the video onces I got the Strike)
    (P.S.S. - That was the last time I ever uploaded videos I didn't own and thats when I started making my own)

2. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, this isn't the right forum for this, but what does it really matter if the "strike" remains? As long as you aren't uploading videos that could have claims made on them under the DMCA, then there is nothing to worry about.

That said, if you do keep uploading videos under copyright, Youtube can permanently cancel your account. (That is whether the DMCA claim is valid or not.)

3. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

It's become 10X worse than you think it is.

YouTube - Viacom Suck This! Fail Toys! News Report by Mike Mozart #ViacomFails

That's right. A couple thousand 0:30-1:00 clips from Viacom's television shows and movies (Which may I add 1. the user who uploaded the video doesn't recieve a cent off of it and 2. it's basically free advertising so you end up getting even more money in the longrun.) and a whole internet armaggeddon is about to go down. Everyone is gonna get hurt for this, including other companies.

It's fucking ridiculous to get sued a couple million for a short TV clip you uploaded. How greedy could you damn be? Honestly.

4. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Eh, I couldn't watch that guy in the video for more than a few seconds.

Anyhow, there was a bit of news recently how Viacom was filing DMCA takedown notices with Youtube on videos that they put up on Youtube themselves. Apparently, Viacom had hired agencies to open up normal looking, individual accounts (rather than an official Viacom branded user) to upload artificially "roughed up" videos from places like Kinko's (to avoid using their own IP addresses) in an effort to generate a false grassroots feel (otherwise known as astroturfing). Absolutely ridiculous.

5. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I liked watching his teeth :) 

I think companies like Viacom have every right to sue whoever the hell they want if that user uploads :30-2 minute videos of their show material, diced up into entertaining amv's. Obviously the user has done a terrible wrong for taking time out of their schedule to make these vids, upload them, and share with a bunch of other people their work - while not getting a single cent out of it. While these companies receive free advertising and reap the benefits in their store products *snerk*

Totally. Yt makes the entertainment industry lose bazillions of dollars every day, each time someone watches a movie illegally uploaded to the net. It's like piracy, and I totally wouldn't steal a car cause that's wrong too :) 

6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

well, MAX, i believe that that is copyrighted material that it will be staying off. you getting a mild slap on the wrist compared to what other people are doing.

a lot of people are getting false DMCA claims and YT doesnt investigate it, they just suspend them with barely a reason why.

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's hoping Viacom falls flat on it's face after this lawsuit.

Gotta love fucking morons that can't accept free advertising.

8. Tyrannosaur

How are they losing bazillions off of free advertisement for their products? Wouldn't that generate more money?

9. mineraljane

News Credits:
    My original Youtube account was permanently disabled about a year ago for uploading a clip from the Colbert Report. (I had a previous infringement too for uploading a BBC clip from a David Attenborough program.) Of course, the clip I uploaded also included a clip from another show that the Colbert Report used in its show. Many of the most shared shows, like the Daily Show or the Colbert Report, rely on fair use under the DMCA to allow them the use of clips from other shows to construct their own programs. Of course, that is done to profit Viacom. (I am simplifying things regarding fair use as there are other considerations, like commentary added, that are required for fair use claims to be valid. It's still silly, though and only going to get worse if the more stringent ACTA is finalized as an Executive Order in the United States.)

He was being sarcastic. (Though, admittedly, it's hard to tell sometimes on the internet.)

10. Tyrannosaur

Aah I see now. Sorry ;) 

I was going to call "Poe's Law" on it, I couldn't tell. I'm like half-asleep right now.