Customs: your worst injury when making a custom.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by luke4, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hmmm...a bruised thumb while taking a pin out once, and a cut no worse than a common paper cut, but other than that I've been injury free so far. Then again most of my have been straight up repaints with only a couple having a mod or two. I've got my first two heavy mods planned. One of which is my fan character Raven-XL7, the other one I actually came up with earlier today, so I haven't posted anything about it yet. I'm going to attempt a digibash or two first.

2. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i was using a dremel disc and it snapped, flying directly into my eye... luckily i was wearing glasses. always use eye protection.
    i don't really have too much luck with those discs either. i have quite a few rips in my pants from slipping off of the bot and gouging my leg (i work with extremely limited space)
    overall though, I think I've been pretty lucky... *stabs self in the forehead*

3. griffith76

griffith76 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From my years of working with tools and hardware I've never gotten any real injuries except for one some 2 months ago. Hand-held grinder disc shattered into 3 pieces while I was using it and I was so unfortunate to have 2 punctured my right chest leaving 3 holes. My whole upper body's bloody within seconds . Good thing the blood slowed down pretty soon so I went to sleep after cleaning and bandaging (it was about 2am when it happened). The wounds were somehow still bleeding when I woke up in the middle of the night so I got a little worried and I went to a doctor to clean the wounds and take the particles out. I was shocked when the doc dug into one of the holes to clean and it was about half an inch deep. Took a month to heal. Strange thing's that it wasn't painful at all throughout except when I wash the wounds.

4. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    OMG! You sir are a trooper and I salute you.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    For me, I don't get injured much because I do make a diligent effort to be careful and safe. However I have:

• Burned my finger just a tad with my soldering iron twice.
    • Cut my fingers just enough to bleed some with an exacto.
    • Bruised my fingers and my hands with my center hole punch.

I don't consider those anything major, because I was able to use Band-Aids and Neosporin and was fine. :) 

6. griffith76

griffith76 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL I was an idiot! I became complacent with years of experience handling a grinder with its safety guard removed. It's a really useful piece of hardware especially you need "perfectly" flat surfaces fast. Now I try to avoid using it and every time I gotta do a check on the discs to see if they have weakened over time and usage.

7. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I was trying to push a pin out of the extra Ramjet I had that I turned into Fitor. This was many months ago. Anyway, the awl I was using slipped and went straight through the tip of my thumb, ripping a gash about half an inch long completely through my dermis. You could see the layer underneath, perfectly smooth. I super glued it back together (super glue was originally invented as liquid stitches to patch up soldiers on the battlefield to get them to stop bleeding long enough and take them to a proper medical facility during WWII, btw), wrapped it up with some toilet paper and duct tape and it healed after about a week.

8. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    I try to keep the injuries ON the custom :lol  so I guess I'm lucky...so far nothing serious.
    The odd nick or plastic chunk bounced off my eyeball every once in a while.
    Although someones comment hurt my feelings once :cry  does that count ?

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You're not an idiot. But you've learned from your mistakes so that it doesn't happen again. So there you go.

10. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just the regular cuts and bruises here. But I get the one that piss you off a lot. Like while using a dremel and it skips off the bots and just runs over your knuckle. Like a nun rapping your fingers with a ruler.

11. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Meh,X-acto knifed my index finger a little bit,nothing big.
    I did notice a bunch of little non-bleeding cuts from gripping the knife's blunt side for stability. Apparently not as blunt as i thought, yet the damn thing won't cut through a classics Bumblebee head,that frustrates me more than the cuts.

12. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

I was grinding black plastic with a dremel tool, and forgot that black plastic heats up from friction quicker than other colors due to the fact that black absorbs heat better. The plastic melted and got all over my hands. Those were some PAINFUL burns...

13. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    X-Acto slipped. Went into the fleshy part of my thumb. Didn't really feel it at first, they are in fact that sharp. The tip of the blade actually drew a line on the underside of my thumbnail.

Pro Tip: Butterfly band aids are your best friend.

14. MROptimusPrime

MROptimusPrime LEGAL NAME: OPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    I was making the VERY simple Playskool Moto-Tron that is posted here. While using a screwdriver, it went clear through my left palm and out the other side of my hand.

My 7 year old son had to go to the neighbors so they could dial 911.

15. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Working on a Model I stuck a hobby knife through my left ring finger. In through the top and out the side, but like frenzy_rumble said it was so sharp I didn't even feel it.

Not exactly a model or kitbash, but I was working on my Olds 442 and using a 3 & 1/2 inch angle grinder without the shield and I ground the skin off of my right index knuckle to the bone now that hurt. I've had other cuts and injuries, but I never get stitched up because scars are cool LOL

16. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i once cut off a chunk of the tip of my thumb. blood everywhere.I was getting lightheaded. so I grabbed a piece of cloth and duct taped it over the thumb.Healed great!

17. optimusawesome

optimusawesome Well-Known Member

worst injurywhile customizeing, I have had was when I grabbed the business end of a soldering iron in an attempt to keep it away from my son. I would rather sacrifice my self that let that little guy get hurt.

By far that is not my worst injury though. it didn't happen while customizeing, but all I will say is: Nail gun + hand = ouch!!!!

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Read through this thread for the first time yesterday...kind of had a laugh at some of the stories not really understanding why so many injuries...I myself have never had one...

Got home yesterday and started on my custom Universe Devastator (you know where this is heading)...sculpted the chest shield and all is good...started sculpting the knee gaurds with a razor blade then all at once the stupid thing slipped...

Now I have a 1" gash and about 1/2" deep on my hand just below the thumb...had to use the o'l superglue method mentioned above to seal the cut...

:peoples: 

19. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You see, that's what happens when you tempt fate. :p 

Hand + forehead + staple gun = DRAMA!

20. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Mine was I was trying to make a keychain out of my artillery
    shell,thing is about 6"-7" and was drilling the bottom out,well long
    story short,it exploded as the blasting cap was still in it,and had
    shrapnel in my eye when it went off,burned my eye,and tiny