Your Views on Cyber Bullying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DecepticonSpike, Dec 16, 2010.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just helping my wife out with a survey she has to do for class about cyber bullying. If you could answers the following questions, it'll help a lot. thank you in advance from both of us!
    1: What do you consider cyber bullying?
    2: What emotional damage can cyber bullying cause that isn't caused by "real life" bullying?
    3:: Why do you feel some people bully online?

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I think its just ridiculous if you let someone "bully" you over the internet. If someone uses footage or pictures of you online, thats why you have lawyers for. People have to be made of sterner stuff...

3. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1: Cyberbullying shares a lot in common with cyberstalking. It requires the person doing the bullying to have access to places where the victim can read/react to what's being said/posted. That means they need access to facebook pages, forums, et al. Cyberbullying is just the same as regular bullying without the physical contact. It's just a whole bunch of name calling, insults, and other BS.

2: It can do just the same damage emotionally as regular bullying can, compounded by the fact that it can be done while the victim is at home, where they should feel safest. As such, it can have more of an emotional impact because it can be done any time and right under the noses of parents.

3: For the same reason people bully in real life and because, on the internet, you can do it anonymously.

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    You're right, to a point. The problem is that too many officials (legal, school, or otherwise) are totally lost in regards to where the law allows punishments to be enforced, not to mention the amount of tech-training needed (and usually lacked) to enforce laws and/or punish offenders.

Case in point, one situation where a kids classmates made a bogus Facebook page in his name, saying all kinds of horrible things about other kids in school. He was picked on, ostracized, and totally ridiculed for months until police could locate the offenders, and the school was afraid of getting involved because the legal system in USA typically protects the offender now. The sites and ISPs typically play subpoena tag back and forth saying "it's a hosts job" and "it's a provider's job".

It's not just play-ground bullying but online anymore, it's a whole new breed of identity theft/slander that we didn't have to deal with that is the REAL damaging stuff we have to worry about.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:

1. Harrasing and being a dick to people on line, in other words trolls.

2. I don't known?I guess people are tracked down online and can't feel safe or something like that

3. People are dicks and they do it becuase no one really knows who they are.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I consider it to be an excellent pastime.

7. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Here's my contributions:

1. Whenever people continuously assault others with hateful and hurtful words, regardless if the person is as bad a bully as them, or someone completely innocent.
    2. I'd say that the damage would be similar, but twice as worse, since it can be done at home, where a victim should feel the safest.
    3. They feel even worse about themselves. They don't want to be the ones that feel horrible, so they try to make someone else feel even worse.

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Anybody who ATTN WHORES online deserves to be bullied.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    1: a despicable act that has no place in this world.

2: its often worse as with cyberbullying there is much more than can be done and so many more people can be involved. It can also be much more difficult to stop due to the anonymity the Internet provides.

3: same reason as the "Internet Tough Guy" they can hide behind a false name while spewing their hate and tormenting an innocent person.

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I think if you consider yourself "bullied" online, then you're too damn sensitive. Come back when you grow a pair.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So much care...

12. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

damn right

13. GallifreyanSith

GallifreyanSith Member

1: What do you consider cyber bullying?
    That's a hard one for me to define. But I think the moment it starts impacting your real-world life, then it becomes-- what I would consider-- bullying.

2: What emotional damage can cyber bullying cause that isn't caused by "real life" bullying?

I suppose it could feel like you can't escape it; make you worry how much and what they know about you and who they've told.

3:: Why do you feel some people bully online?

Cause some people are just jerks. They either can't or aren't toughies in the real-world and they take that out on people online. Or their jerks that like to push buttons.

14. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

1. Cyber bullying is nothing but another phrase used by the media to hype up something to the point of total paranoia and fear.
    2. Next to none.
    3. Because it's simply more convenient than having to spit out something at someone's face. Someone can hide behind anonymity when it comes to the internet.

15. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

LOL!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. American society is such a bunch of weepy PC turds sometimes.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Harrassing someone, posting nasty stuff about them, spreading malicious gossip, that sort of thing. Websites last a VERY long while; you put up a site saying shit about someone, it might still be there a long time afterwards.
    I'd say they're surprisingly similar in terms of potential emotional damage; the only thing lacking in cyber bullying is a physical aspect. One thing it can do more easily than in real life, however, is spread.
    Maybe they know that if they tried it in real life they'd get a kicking for it. It's far easier to bully someone when you know they won't turn round and hit you.
    They deserve to be taken down a peg or two, not to have their lives ruined.
    Ahhh, there it is. There's always someone who'll blunder into a thread like this and act like a tough guy (which given the subject of this thread is particularly ironic), and it never stops being amusing. Or unnecessary, for that matter. I don't know why the hell you even bothered. It doesn't make you look cool or anything, you know.

17. GallifreyanSith

GallifreyanSith Member

That's why I think the line has to be "are they coming after you in the real-world, and how bad will it get?". If it's someone just trash-talking online: report them to the site's staff, block 'em, or simply tell them to get bent and just walk away.

I think you have to have a certain amount of "Don't give a damn what people think" to get by in the world. Not because it's bad@$$ or "cool" but because if you take every piece of trash-talk seriously it'll eat you up. Yeah, there's a line you can't let people cross, but you have to be able to walk away sometimes.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd rather have regular bullying, that way you at least have the option of beating the slag out of them.

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm not the only one who thinks so. Read a few of the posts above yours. And last time I checked, discussions were still allowed in the discussion forum, and even more so, in a thread entitled "Your views on Cyber Bullying".

Maybe you should worry more about your own trolling than other peoples' opinions.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    What happened to the days when the guy just stomped on your lunch baggie n stuffed u in the locker?!!