Your Top 5 Games

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NGW, Apr 5, 2008.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    In no order, whatsoever.

Shadow of the Colossus
    -Single best game I have ever played. An amazing experience that no one should do without. Shadow is an artistic masterpiece. Unbelievably unique (though this is to be expected from Team ICO). The best boss battles in gaming history. Everything about it is just so unbelievably well done. Great story. Wonderful visuals. It really captures the sense of scale and isolation of the Forbidden Land.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requim
    -As a HUGE Lovecraft fan, the story really appeals to me as it draws so much from the mythos. A wondefully frightening game that plays mind games with you, the player. The sanity meter and insanity effects are a brilliant touch. Combat and magicka system are a breath of fresh air for a more or less traditional survival horror title. If you have a Gamecube I highly recommend picking it up.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    -Single best game in the entirety of the Zelda franchise. People were craving something different for the series, and Majora's Mask certainly was unique. The timed aspect turned many off, but for those that were able to get used to it, the fun, memorable dungeons, very dark and mature story (darkest and most mature of any Zelda title, and one of Nintendo's darkest ever) make it an easy top 5 pick. Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and even the highly acclaimed (though rather overrated) Ocarina of Time cannot compare to Majora's Mask. Closest Zelda game to it in quality is Link to the Past.

Super Metroid
    -Fun, challenging. The definitive Metroid title. Super Metroid set the standard for Metroidvania games for years to come. If you have a SNES, it is a must have title. If not, it can be had on the Virtual Console for a mere 8 bucks. Hard bargain to beat.

Mass Effect
    -Solid gameplay. An amazingly indepth conversation system. Beautiful visuals, a wonderful score. Bioware's latest (and greatest) certainly delivers. Mass Effect features one of the best stories told in a game, and also boasts wonderfully well done and acted dialouge. The first installment in a planned trilogy, the choices you make over the course of the, admittedly short (10 hours, but oh how satisfying those 10 hours are), game will carry over (along with your character) the remainder of the trilogy.

Honorary Mention: Hotel Dusk Room 215
    -Hotel Dusk is another game included for its visuals, story, and dialouge. While light on actual gameplay, the story of Hotel Dusk is where it really shines. Hotel Dusk plays out like an interactive detective novel (you even hold the DS like a book when playing). The game features a fun, interesting cast of characters, a solid conversation system, wonderfully well written dialouge, and an amazing sketch book art design. If you own a DS, and can manage to find a copy, pick it up.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

metal gear solid
    worms
    street fighter alpha 2
    sonic the hedgehog (although I haven't played 3 and sonic and knuckles in a while, they might top the first)
    grand theft auto: vice city

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    lunar series
    ff series
    halo series
    star ocean second story
    xenogears/xenosaga series

i love rpgs

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    1. Exile (BBC Micro)
    2. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
    3. Metal Gear Solid (Playstation)
    4. Elite (BBC Micro)
    5. Gods (Amiga)

5. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Battlefield 1942
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Resident Evil 4
    Full Spectrum Warrior
    Mortal Kombat 2

Honary Mention: Sonic The Hedgehog games up to Adventure, Soul Calibur, God of War, Quake 3.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Star Wars: Rebellion (PC)
    Day of the Tentacle (Maniac Mansion semi sequel) (PC)
    Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic (PC, X-Box)
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (PC MMO)

7. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Super Metroid (SNES)
    Mega Man X (SNES)
    Tyrian (PC)
    Quake 2 (PC)
    Einhander (PSX)

8. gil

gil Godmaster

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (I've enjoyed the zelda series, but for some reason, I like this game the best)
    Punch Out!! (This is my classic game)
    Pokemon Saphire (then Ruby/Fire Red/Emerald/Leaf Green and then the DS games)
    Mario Kart DS
    Fight Night Round 2 (boxing is awesome, and I hated how round 3 had that cheap daze shot thing)

I probably have more game I like better, but I can't think of them, so I guess that ain't that great.

9. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Not in really any order:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl- so much to do, and since my friends live near me, the fun won't be going away after a long time, we were playing Smash 64 nonstop a few months before Brawl came out!

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time- definitely earns title of greatest Zelda ever. Great combat system, very nice storyline, interesting sidequests, and managed to keep me playing for at least an hour everyday for a month

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- not as extraordinary as OoT, but since I played this first, it almost made OoT a little hard to play because I was hooked on the Wii control scheme. I loved being able to just flick my wrist to slice enemies, and the darker atmosphere made it very enjoying to play. The graphics lack in areas, but the lighting makes it seem natural. I definitely look forward to a sequel, or at least a Zelda with the same controls

Kingdom Hearts (I & II)- who would've thought that a Disney and Final Fantasy crossover could be so much fun?! Great combat system that revolutionizes RPG-type games, stunning graphics, and brilliant settings make the KH series a must-play. While the story might be cheesy, it all ties together and delivers a great experience

Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)- one of the only Star Wars games I've played, it delivers a solid TPS/FPS game. The single player modes are kind of weak, but add a buddy to co-op and it's a blast. Even better is to go against each other to prove that Luke could take on Darth Maul

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't often like to use series as taken up only one number on my list, but I will do it with the FF series like you do, just because my list of 5 would be 4 FF games and Castlevania: SOTN, and that wouldn't be too exciting!

1. FF series. It's taken a ton of flak in more recent years for various reasons, but it is honestly one of the series that has always grown, and I grew up with it. It has shaped my views of video games in general. I will say that the spinoffs, besides Tactics, have been letdowns and bascially were cash cows, but the main line, weather you like each installment or not, has always taken pretty big leaps in one area or another from it's predecessor.

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Great music, great control, great 2D visuals in a time when 2D was sparse, and amazingly combines metroid like exploration with the mood and setting of the Casltevanias and added an RPG like depth to the play mechanics.

3. Chrono Trigger/ Chrono Cross. Ok, I lumped these two together as well. Chrono Trigger has more likable characters and a more enjoyable combat system. Chrono Cross has my favorite overall storyline of any game, but that story is only great because it plays off of 'Trigger in a great way where it IS a sequel, but it isn't JUST banking off being a sequel to be successfull. They also both have great music and visuals for their respective platforms.

4. Super Metroid. Great mood, wonderfull controls, somehow makes you want to find the next hidden item no matter how mundane, and I can still play through it any number of times to this day.

5. Mass Effect. I generally like to see how much I like a game after so many years before I consider it one of my favorites, but I was undeniably addicted to this from the get go, and it had my attention all the way through. It made want to do and see everything and play it again as soon as I beat it the first time. So, I just feel this game deserves a spot here.

Some honorable mentions: Mario World, RE & RE4, Silent Hill 2, Secret of Mana, Zelda 3 and Ocarina of Time, Bionic Commando, Lunar SSS, Sonic 2, Suikoden, and Vandal Hearts.

Oh, that last one, Vandal Hearts, is probably one of the most underappreciated games. I hardly ever hear anyone talking about it, but to be honest, while it lacked the depth of FFTactics, I found it overall more fun with a more comprehensive story.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Super Mario Kart - SNES
    Every other version can GTFO for being derivative party game shit.

The Halo's - Xboxen
    The games belie the epic richness of the overarching backstory. But the games are fucking awesome too. How online should be done on consoles. Great campaigns too. Epic shit. Haters be damned.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Megadrive
    A more streamlined, well designed, and impressive game compared to Sonic 1 and CD. How Sonic games -should- be. Just brilliant.

Capcom vs. SNK
    Just... awesome... wowsome. Nothing but love here.

Rock Band
    Game of the forever.

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    1. Halo Series (xbox-360), my sentiments echo Twists.

2. Phoenix Wright series (DS), excluding 4, great storylines and interesting characters. Im not one for text-based adventures, but the Phoenix Wright series blew me away.

3. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (360), Giant Robots beating the crap out of each other and doing super-sentai style moves. All wrapped up in a tangled web of time lines. I love this game

4. Godzilla series (GC-PS2-Wii), for a G-fan like me, these games are almost everything I could want, falling just short because they lack a mode that lets you stomp around a city smashing stuff without competition or timer.

5. Star Wars Demolition, Podracers with Proton Torpedos? AT-ST as a serious enemy? The friggin' Rancor! Vehicular Carnage in a galaxy far, far away.

13. Bumblebee78

Bumblebee78 Well-Known Member

1) Castlevania: SoN
    2) Gunstar Heroes
    3) Kingdom Hearts
    4) Super Metroid
    5) Final Fantasy VII

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No order.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Which would also include Mass Effect and Jade Empire by default. Not just the best RPGs to come out of the West, but because of the subject matter probably the best I've played. I can get immersed in these more than Japanese RPGs.

Tomb Raider. The original is awesome and the recent update is full of win. When the emphasis was on exploration and not combat, the sense of awe and discovery couldn't be topped. Totally awesome, I've got the Saturn, PS1, PC, N-gage versions of this, as well as PS2 and 360 Anniversarys. Thats quite bad. And I would still buy it again if they released it on DS.

Virtua Fighter (whichever is latest). Best fighter for me. Its not instant reflex mania (although, quick reflexes do help). The pace of the game means I can actually think about what I'm doing. Couple that with a balanced roster, where any character can win (depending on the players), and the deepest fighting system I've seen and there's a reason why I'm on this a lot. Especially on LIVE.

Ninja Gaiden (xbox) Sublime. Much better than DMC IMO. Can't wait for Ninja Gaiden 2.

Halo series. Yeah, I have to go with TT. Best online on a shooter. So much to do. So many people to kill. So many ways to die.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  15. bandron

bandron seeker jets' nightmare

Ebay:
    In no real order:

Lords of Thunder (Duo)
    Y's series (Turbo cd/Duo/ps2)
    Dracula X Rondo of Blood (duo)
    Guardian Legend (NES)
    Xenogears (ps2)

I've so many others that I love but these are my all time favorites. I know there is a lot of Turbografx 16 and Turbo Duo in the mix but I really like a lot of the games for those systems. As a side note Rondo of Blood is original. That sucker set me back.

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Playstation

Probably my favorite game ever made to this day, great fast paced action, exploration and a huge map to explore. Not to mention fluid animation and great music. It's like a 16-bit game on steroids.

Thunder Force III - Genesis

The ultimate twitch shooter. The perfect mix of difficulty, terrific power-ups and perfect level design. The graphics were some of the best of the 16-bit era and the music was a masterpiece in FM-synthesis.

F-Zero GX - Gamecube

If you could take fun and stamp it onto an 8-cm miniDVD, this is what it would be. The graphics might not be state of the art but the game moves so fast you don't really notice it most of the time. Loops, twists and turns all flying at you at breakneck speed. Nothing beats hitting a boost plate out of a turn, hitting your turbo and blasting past your opponents. Add to this tons of unlockable racing machines, custom racing machines, and unlockable courses keep you coming back for more.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - PC/Playstation II

Big but not too big, more cars, motorcycles, more weapons and the same "sandbox" structure as the first. I love that you can take side missions, play the regular missions or just go around terrorizing the city as you please. Most of all the game is just fun to play.

Wing Commander II - PC

Back when I was a freshman in high school I would get lost in this game. At the time it was the most immersive video game I had ever played and I spent countless hours blowing up Kilrathi ships and saving the galaxy.

17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

oh man, I forgot about two of my favorite ones that have been listed now, the lunar pair and tomb raider 1.

18. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Rock Band (Xbox 360)
    Like Twist said, game of the forever.

2. Kane and Lynch (Xbox 360)
    Not sure why, but there's just something about this game that makes it amazing. The gameplay is wonky, but the story can't be beat.

3. BioShock (Xbox 360)
    Creepy, great gameplay, and a great story to boot. Plot twist nobody expected as well.

4. Mortal Kombat (Genesis)
    First video game and system I ever owned and played thanks to my brother. Mom wasn't too happy about it.

5. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
    Not sure why I liked this game so much. Definitely my favorite Zelda game.

19. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

It is admittedly difficult for me to differentiate nostalgic love from objective appreciation of the gameplay/story/etc. of a game, but having said that:

1) Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES): to me, this is a no-brainer. . .greatest game ever, by leaps and bounds. I can't believe that this isn't unanimous here. . .

2) Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (NES): Incredibly simple, incredibly difficult (for a little kid, particularly), and incredibly fun. First game I ever got for my NES in 1987, and still one of my favorite games to play.

3) Double Dragon Advance (GBA): I love Double Dragon, and this is the best that it has ever been. This is an under-appreciated game, I think, which is too bad. I just got it late last year, and was blown away.

4) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS): I could have listed SOTN or Dawn of Sorrow here, since all these games are pretty much the same with some minor tweaks in gameplay, story (I guess the story changes are pretty significant, actually, but who cares about the lame stories in these games, anyway?), and enemies. But, I've played this one most recently, so I have a biased affinity for it. Plus, this being Castlevania, I want to control a guy with a whip all the way through. Anyway, these 3 Castlevania games are all perfection, in my mind.

5) Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2): I don't even own a PS2, never did, but I would be remiss not to acknowledge this game's greatness. Story, gameplay, atmosphere, nuance, everything is pitch perfect.

runners up: Mega Man 2 (NES), Street Fighter 2 (arcade), Strider (Genesis), Joust (arcade), Resident Evil (Gamecube), GTA III (Xbox/PS2), Halo (XBox), Goldeneye (N64)

20. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Mass Effect
    Metal Gear Solid
    Super Mario Bros
    Mortal Kombat
    Doom