Your thoughts on the TFP RID line: Are they possibly skewed by the FE line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kuma Style, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is just an honest thread, and I don't really think that there's a lot of negative discussion that can come from just talking about the subject straight out.

And, with that: The thread title is pretty to-the-point. It seems like, for the most part, people here think that RID isn't up-to-snuff with the FE line, and honestly, that's ok. However, waht I'm wondering is, is that if there was no FE line to begin with, would people think that the RID line is better than they do?

For me, my favorite three from the RID line are by far Megatron, Soundwave, and Wheeljack. They're all just awesome frickin' figures. At the same time though, they're also the three that don't have FE toys to compare to. It's a bit of a head scratcher though, because I don't know what the FE line could have done "better" on those three outside of maybe Megatron's color?

With Prime and CJ though, my thought is that these toys would be looked at a helluva' lot better if there wasn't the FE line to compare to. Sure, CJ's arms would still be long, and Optimus would have the "cape", but I definitely think they'd be looked at as good, even if not great, if the FE toys weren't there.

Another thing that's kind of odd is that, like I said above I don't see the FE line having done anything better with Soundwave, Wheeljack, and Megs, but the general consensus is that FE line is "better" because they have better versions of 2 of the 5 RID toys... that's not even half.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that, if FE hadn't existed, RID would get a lot more praise? I really do.

Also, there's no poll because I don't really see the point in it.

2. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    I think that the hatred wouldn't be as intense as it is now, but there still would be some. Several of Hasbro's moves (such as the name changes and the clear plastic) would have gotten scorn anyway, even without FE.

Think of it like this...say you have pizza and it is rather bland. You might be willing to get it but you still wouldn't rank it high. Now imagine you had AMAZING pizza, then the bland pizza...the bland pizza still tastes bland but now your views are colored.

3. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I think that even without the FE line, people would still yearn for show accuracy. There is something to be said about Hasbro wanting the energon light up gimmick to be featured, particularly in the Powerizer class figures and I think as the past has shown, these gimmicks tend to impede the figures from reaching their full potential. While I don't have these figures yet since they're not out in my area, Powerizer Prime seems to be not that bad, if they molded his arms in red from the start and gave him more show accurate weapons, I think a lot less people would be whining about it. Megatron seems fine, his wings aren't that bad, and paint, well that's always been an issue with Hasbro releases compared to Takara ones. The only real issue is his gimmick weapon for lighting up. I wish they'd just release one that has a blade that can lock into position.

As for Revealers, honestly I don't think there's much of a problem with RID compared to FE. So if we got Revealers first, I doubt there would've been much outcry. Wheeljack and Soundwave appear to be amazing toys. The new Cliffjumper, though not my cup of tea, definitely has its own merits.

4. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Sure, the RIDs looks even worse when compared to the FEs.

But for me, the RIDs by themselves would still look bad.

I still wouldn't have liked RID Bumblebee, Prime, Bulkhead or Cliffjumper even if I hadn't seen the the FE molds. They're just not good. I don't like Knockout and don't think he's a good figure, and he has no FE mold.

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I think that I would not like CJ regardless as he is just too hollow for me. Knowing the FE line one exists does make that fact even worse. So there maybe something to the added disappointment knowing that something better was actually created.

For OP, I think the Leader class Optimus would have be good enough for me. It still maybe good enough since I am not sure I want to spend the crazy price on the FE stuff yet.

The biggest thing for me between the FE line and the RiD line is the incredibly stupid powerizer weapons. CJ had hidden guns that were awesome. Bulkhead had that awesome mace, which is now a dumb weapon unlike in the show. Don't get me started on Optimus' gun. I think even without the FE line those things would have annoyed me.

In terms of Bulkhead, I may have said eh and bought the RiD line one to fill in the blank, but the FE comparison out right makes me dislike the RiD one.

Its like knowing a perfect classics Galvatron exists, but your stuck with the Hasbro one. Or if Hegmon was a released figure for a couple of people and all they finally released was the nerf colored Megtron.

6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But, see... that's what I'm getting at... you group it as "RIDs looking bad" when there are specific ones you don't like.

I respect your opinions on those particular figuresIt feels like Cliffjumper and some aspects of Prime completely overshadow awesome stuff like Megatron, Soundwave, and Wheeljack, which, at this point are the majority of the RID line out on the shelves.

7. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Pizza's personally a bad metaphor IMO, because bland pizza is still relatively good. I'd take bland pizza over a lot of things. Pizza really needs to be crap to actually be bad.

/end tangent

8. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I honestly think it's a mixture of the lack of paint on the toys, the poor distribution and outright disappointment of how the First Edition toys ended up, and the general hype that happened while the Movie Line turned it's head around for the third time.

9. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes I do. In fact the RID figs (for the most part *coughvoyagerprimeandbulkheadcough*) aren't bad at all. It's just in comparison with the FEs that they look like turds. I was going to give a clever real life comparison but looks like Mr. Chaos already made one.

10. Secretcode

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Also, I do think its a bit unfair that people give certain toys that haven't even been released or mess with by anyone a negative stigma as soon as they are revealed without having any actual reviews or hands-on time to base it on, such as Knockout, Bulkhead and (Even though it's not Prime) Bruticus.

11. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I've got RID Prime, Wheeljack, and Cliffjumper so far. I am pleased with the figures. Prime's "cape" is much less intrusive in hand. Cliffy's got a LOT of faux parts, but a fun transformation. Wheeljack...damn... wow... speechless.

EDIT: However - prime's weapons are a letdown, and the back of his cab is just open.. But i can live with that.

12. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    TJ,

Keep in mind that Soundwave and Wheeljack were still part of the FE line. Supposed to be FE wave 2 with the vehicon and Terracon CJ. Megatron RiD is just the oversized FE figure.

So your favorites are still FE figures repackaged.

All the rest of the figures are the real RiD line and they all leave a lot to be desired.

13. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would have to agree...if I had never seen FE Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Bulkhead and Optimus...I would be satisfied with the RID versions...maybe not bumblebee. Overall...They really aren't Bad...still better than 100% of the DOTM stuff. I don't look at it as a step backward. It could have been handled better but hey...who am I to judge? I'm just a 35 year old man who still likes to play with toys...

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I agree with what you're saying TJ. In my opinion, Optimus and Cliffjumper aren't bad toys on their own. In fact, the only thing about Optimus that looks worse than his FE counterpart is his back kibble. If the FE never existed, I guarantee people would like it. They might still have some nags that it's hollow and the translucent parts on the arms are out of place, but they would still enjoy it as a figure. Yeah, Bulkhead and Bumblebee aren't really impressive, but FE Bumblebee wasn't great either (then again I honestly give no fucks about Bumblebee). Many people are already saying Vehicon and Arcee look better than their FE counterparts. So, yeah, aside from Bulkhead (who looks seriously weird), most of the complainers would never know the difference if FE didn't exist.

15. Secretcode

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Incorrect. Terrorcon Cliff and Vehicon were Wave 3 or just Wave 2 if you want to say that the Cliffjumper addition was Wave 1.5 instead of a full on Wave 2.

16. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    WJ and Soundwave were presented as RiD from the start, I don't think they ever were First Editions.

As for the thread, TJ you are absolutely right. These toys aren't perfect, but they're pretty good quality, better articulation and sculpting that many recent toys. It's just that the FE and the series of... mistakes hasbro has made lately amplify people's perception of them.

I don't think I've even seen somebody who actually owns RiD toys saying they're utter crap. Even RiD Bumblebee (who admittedly is pretty crappy) has enough things going for him to win his owner's affection slowly.

I at least know that I'm going to give these toys a chance at least, they look pretty fun to me.

17. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i honestly enjoy the first editions and the main line figures. i went in thinking op and bee look like crap and wont be good compared to what i already had in FE but, i enjoy them alot.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I think the RiD hate is LARGELY due to people being blinded by pretty pictures of things they cannot have.

Both FE and RiD Prime and CJ have their flaws, fixed by the other. One has a cape, the other a fake chest. One has a hollow torso, the other a little long in the arm.

The grass isn't always as green as it looks from a distance.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I agree entirely. The only two FE's that I really want; Cliffjumper and Bulkhead, not only look good but are pretty show accurate.

Instead, Hasbro's mass release versions, while still at the very least decent toys, don't measure up. Mass-release Bulkhead would have been acceptable to me had Hasbro not gone and shown they litteraly can do a much better version of him at mass retail, but instead they go with a less accurate version. And in CJ's case, the FE version actually incorperates the built-in hand cannons that CJ actually uses in the show, which is the big draw for me. Yet, the mass release abandons that important detail in favor for some kind of machine gun/axe thing and a robot mode that's got a slightly larger amount of kibble.

I seriously have GOT to wonder why the hell Hasbro bothered to make a bunch of seperate molds for multiple characters, and then do the stupid thing by making the better versions nigh impossible to find and the slightly inferior versions the mass releases. I know it comes down to the retailers and crap, but Hasbro has GOT to have some weight to their words as to what THEY think retailers should carry.

My opinion on the figures who do not have FE versions, however, are generally positive. I think Knock Out looks pretty boss, myself.

20. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I don't think Megatron's bad. I might call him the best of the lot. Wheeljack looks good, if too small. Soundwave looks decent from pics I've seen.

The thing for me is this - there are several bad figures in this line, and that's enough to make me not want to collect it. I don't want a collection of Prime characters where some look good, and many others look outright awful or just too cheap. Not to mention the money factor - I don't want to spend my money on figures I think are lacking in quality simply because it's a character I need to complete a collection. These are going up in price and quality is dropping, and that's not cool with me and my wallet.

One or two misses, okay. Every line has a miss or two. But once you get into several misses right up front, there's no reason to believe the rest of the line won't be the same. That's why for me, the "RID" line is bad, as it stands right now. There's more bad than good in it.

That's why I've chosen Cyberverse. Quality is consistent across the board and I can build a Prime collection that I can look at and like. And save some money while I'm at it.