Your thoughts on the Robots in Disguise show?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bountyan, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, so I just finished watching RiD, and I wanted to know the general TFW community thinks about it, since I've never delved much into it before. Here's my opinion:

-Sky-Byte, dear god, Sky-Byte. Confirmed for one of the best characters in all of Transformers.
    -Super/Battle mode Optimus Prime. Probably my favorite Optimus Prime design now.
    -Rail Racer and gruffy old Railspike
    -Kelly, practically the female human Waspinator of the show
    -TRANSFORMER THAT TRANSFORMS INTO A HAND. And Megatron/Galvatron in general having a shit ton of weird modes.

Dislikes:
    -Megatron literally sitting on his ass for most of the series
    -Optimus Prime telling Koji to stay at the base, Koji goes anyway
    -Koji in general and wangst over his father
    -Wedge, that annoying little...
    -Ultra Magnus just COINCIDENTALLY being in the right place at the right time in almost every episode later in the show
    -Three clip show episodes
    -Transformers yelling their attack names
    -Scourge and the Commandos pretty much having their personalities deleted near the end
    -Anti-climactic, rushed ending. One second they're fighting with giant swords, and in the blink of an eye suddenly the fight is over and the bad guys are going to "prison."

I actually didn't mind all the stock footage, because I thought a lot of the transformations were cool to look at.

Overall, I think it was ok. Far, far, far, far from the best transformers series but had some memorable characters. I might be spoiled since the only TV series I've watched start to finish before the live action movie were Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and G1. Also, the show gave me a lot of Digimon vibe for some reason. Especially since the ending almost ends the same way as one of the Digimon movies (a bunch of kids send messages over the internet so the hero can power up)

By the way, why does everyone like Scourge so much? There seems to be a lot of fans for him but I honestly don't think he did anything severely special in the show.

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Not to mention that the shows shared a few voice actors doing the exact same voices for both.

3. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

i liked rid the yelling attack names annoyed me but it was anime couldn't expect much from it

4. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its the show that got me into Transformers so its holds a special place for me

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It was much too "anime" at times, and suffered from many of the same problems as most of the japanese shows, but it brought a fresh design take to Transformers, especially in a show where a lot of the figures were reused, and damned if it didn't have a ton of really loveable concepts.

6. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Sky-Byte for 2012
    He's the greatest shark around
    NOT a jellyfish

I rather enjoy RiD, though it certainly had its problems. There were some odd things going on in that show, too, like little-red-sports-car-obsessed Side Burn turning into a little red sports car, and how the Autobots were evidently being used as actual vehicles before being called to action. And X-Brawn's head randomly being in the driver's seat sometimes.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I absolutely love RID. Like ErbFan28, it's the show that got me into Transformers, and it'll always have a special place in my heart. Though I do remember watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines, I don't remember ever really getting into either one that much, and didn't associate either one with Transformers till I finally got into collecting in '06.

It's a great show, and I wish I had gotten some of the toys back then. I vividly remember seeing Sky-Byte and the train brothers in-store, and regret not even asking for them for my birthday or Christmas. I just wish that Hasbro and Takara homaged it a bit more. Doesn't help that I never did see Universe Bruticus in-stores, and the Robot Heroes 2-pack got canceled before it had the chance to hit retail.

Botcon Sky-Byte is something I would have loved to have seen at retail, which would have meant I could have gotten him for a reasonable price. I was really lucky when it came to the Club's Side Burn figure, as I have a friend, who had signed up for the club in time to get Side Burn as his free-bee, but didn't have any interest in keeping him.

It was technically filler, but will always feel like a much bigger show/line than most other Transformers incarnations, to me anyways.

Agreed, though my sig should say that for me, lol.

8. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Seeing as it WAS an anime, I think that's a bit justified.

I thoroughly enjoy the series, every since I was young, however. I love the designs, the teams, and the personalities of the characters. The kid isn't even that annoying.

9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Barry Stigler voicing Scourge... I can't tell you how giddy I was when that was revealed.

Rest in Peace Mr. Stigler.

10. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    It was the first Transformers series for me that got me into Transformers.

Sky-Byte and Scourge, the two most memorable Transformers for me from that show.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Soul of a poet
    Body of a predator
    Skybyte 2012

12. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

It's one of the shows in the series, alongside Transformers Animated, that makes me cringe.

13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Anything that brought car robots back gets a win in my book.

And no, vehicons don't count.

14. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

RID was ok, not great, but not bad. It was kind of a nice "filler" series.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Car Robots was a bit better IMHO, mostly because RiD changed the ending and nerfed Devil Gigatron. The crap about honor, a final battleground, and all that from RiD against Devil Gigatron beating all the Autobots and torturing them until Fire Convoy opened the bridge to the core so Devil Gigatron could absorb all the energy in the core with God Fire Convoy trying desperately to stop it from happening.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I honestly haven't totally sat through the entire series.

It's a alright series. It has a lot of Combiners (Ruination, Landfill and Rail Racer), It has charecters like Ultra Magnus (a friggin badass mofo), X-Brawn (boss of the road), Prowl (I like Prowl so whatever) and the two best original charecters to come out of the show.

Scourge and Skybyte.

Scourge is probably one of the coolest charecter and is easily my favourite figure i own in my collection. (The Masterpices are inferior to Scourge)

Skybyte is a great comedy relief charecter voiced by the sadly underused talent that is Peter Spellos.

However everything else is either dull or way to silly.

Optimus Prime and Megatron my skidplate. Optimus Prime is so dull.....I mean boring.

And they called him Megatron, a sheer mockery of the name. Used for proud leaders of tyranny, malice and power. Even with his bazillion modes he couldn't lead a parade. Scourge was so much more compentant than him. Scourge was smart, brillaint, cold and deviant.

I wish he actually killed Megatron off and took over as the villain he was destined to become.

The other charecters mostly suck as they have little charecter or have annoying personalities like Sideburn, Towline, Skids-Z, The Predacon Trio...etc.

The Humans are like whatever. Their's nothing for me to say honestly.

The biggest problem i have is that with the dubbers they picked (The people that dubbed Digimon who would later adapt anime like Code Geass and Gurren Lagann.Well they weren't that great. The voices sounded to much the same and i blame the fact it was more likely rushed and the robotic tones in their voice it makes everyone sound way to simmilar)

Also 9/11 happened as soon as thew series started so it was heavily edited in the U.S and didn't get a proper airing. Disney may or may not own the show right now as they sold some Saban properties they aquirred a while back to Saban. So so far no U.S DVD release but their one for the U.K but that's expensive.

Overall okay show. Scourge and Skybyte make the show worth it. Love the concpets of it but i still like what we got out of Armada and Cybertron more. People would love those shows if Scourge (black Prime repaint badass mofo) and Skybyte were in it.

17. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

RID is all kinds of awesome! It was a nice throwback to car transformers after all the BW stuff from '96 - '00 as well. And Scourge, man is this guy one of the baddest Decepticons ever or what? :D 

18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Hated it first but grew to like it. Got a lot better with Scourge and the Commandos.

I liked by the book Prowl and we got my favourite Ironhide since G1. How can anyone not like Skybite?

It's a pity the Autobot Brothers power up repaints weren't made new characters, i.e. Red Sideburn = Hot Rod, X-Brawn = Wheeljack, Prowl = Bluestreak

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I love RID..my faves would be Optimus (Omega Prime) Prime, Prowl and of course Sky Byte and Scourge.
    I actually liked most every bot and con in this series, the human kid, Koji, was okay too.

Funny this thread is being started, I had my nephew here over the weekend and he started watching RID and fell in love with it too...was singing Sky Byte's little ditty and cracking me up!! That's why I love Transformers RiD, they bring pure joy! :D 

20. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I remember RiD with great joy. It was the show that showed me "hey, these cars are robit!!!" (Grew up with beast wars/machines as my first shows) but based on my memories, there are a few things I would like to say about it.

1) Scourge is an overly hyped character. There, I put it out there. Do I think he's a good character, yes. Do I feel he should be recognized as a good character? Yes. Is he this god like diety of evilness and badassery that we should all bow down our heads to? No, that position is reserved for a hedgehog.

2) Beautiful animation. Not much more to say.

3) All the characters were great. There were set groups who worked well alone, but could team up with the other groups. I remember the build team and Railracer quite fondly.

4) It finally let certain people say "Now that's more like G1"

Basically, it did what Cybertron did at the end of the Unicron Trilogy, but it had to make up for not having cars for, I think, like 15 old years.

Good show that I would recommend to any new fans, just don't fall for the hype that a lot of people put on the show.