Your thoughts on Takara's laziness/cheapness?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Wolfdawg, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So this isn't one of those Hasbro bashing threads. This is more of a thread asking for your opinion on Takara's figures. Arms Microns, for example, doesn't even have paint aps! Then, it requires you to put the "Minicon" together yourself. Plus, after checking my Facebook account, I see that TFSource has updated pictures of that TRU Exclusive Prime that comes with a trailer, only to find out that the trailer is made of cardboard. I mean, really. If Hasbro had pulled these stunts the fans would go ballistic, but it seems like it's all good if Takara does it.

Honestly, the stickers alone make me hate the AM line. The only figure I got from the line was Jet Vehicon because I thought, hey, the stickers can't be THAT bad. Oh, but they were, and the plastic of the Micron feels like something I would buy from the dollar store.

So yea, compared to the shit Takara is pulling, Hasbro is golden. The only thing Takara has going for them at the moment is the Masterpiece line. Even then, that tiny Sideswipe has done nothing to impress me.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Is it Takara being lazy and not using paint, or American customers being lazy and not having to complete the figure themselves and do minor "work?"

3. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    Why should I have to work in putting together a figure that I've paid for? My opinion is that I don't think certain toys should have the "assembly required" label. It's bad enough I have to put stickers on the figure. Now I have to build them too?

I understand some people enjoy model kits, but I don't. I don't think Transformers has ever been a brand of toys that had to be pain-stakingly put together.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    While I really enjoy putting together my Microns I completely agree about the sticker part. I've always hated stickers, even back during the G1 days, so that means any of the AM bots or Microns that I buy stand naked on my shelf because they have no color on them. :( 

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    It's not exactly the model kit aspect, just the aspect of completing something, like a Lego set or a Me- another Lego set.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Takara is experimenting. Remember that they are a company and as such need to make things that will sell. Their high paint figures weren't selling well enough. Transformers doesn't have the power in Japan that it does here. So they're trying something. I'm not going to fault them for experimenting.

And I love the Microns. I actually enjoy putting them together and applying the stickers. I don't love doing it on the figures themselves but the Microns are golden.

You just need to be less butt hurt and move on.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Considering Hasbro's major justification for no Breakdown toy is that it's not in their alloted Voyager budget, I'd say Takara isn't being the cheap one here.

Besides, model kit building is HUGE in Japan. Gundam kits have been extremely popular for the past 30 years. Since Takara's stuff isn't really meant for overseas export, they only need to retail to the local populace in Japan.

8. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    This isn't a case of Takara being cheap or lazy, it is a deliberate attempt at something different. The model-building aspect of the toys is more popular in Japan and they're attempting to draw that market toward Transformers. It's OK if you don't like it, you aren't their target market. They still have the Masterpiece and Encore lines for those who want the fit and finish, but then again, if you're reading this then you still aren't their target market.

9. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i really like building the microns and applying stickers- my Prime collection is a mix of Takara imports and reprolabels NA releases (and yes reprolabels told me they will be doing a set of stikers for FE Optimus -woot!)

10. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

The Microns = :thumbs2: 
    The lack of paint = :thumbdown 

As much as I like Breakdown, I wouldn't had bough him if it wasn't for the fact he isn't getting a Hasbro release.

11. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind the assembling the Micron by myself, but I expect the main toy to be really good. Lack of paint and sticker sheet as a substitution is already bad in my book. I prefer tempograph any day. The only exception I have against this rule is the G1 Reissue figures, lol.

I understand why TTomy does it, but thanks goodness there's alternative....Hasbro! To sum it up, any TF line or figure other than the G1 Reissue, whichever company does the tempograph, good qc, good paint app, will get my money.

12. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From my perspective they have pulled a complete 180. I can't speak for their domestic market, but here in the US if I am going to import a toy, it has to be something unique that I cannot find at home. Takara's paint apps far exceeded that of Hasbro's, so in some cases (Animated, Classics) it was worth it for me to pay more than double the cost of a Hasbro figure. But this Arms Micron madness is not impressing me at all. I almost feel bad for the Asian market in this case, and do not think applying stickers is "a little bit of work." Not only is it tedious and annoying, but the end result pales in comparison. I'm curious to see how those stickers hold up years from now. My G1 toys look pretty bad now that the stickers have begun to fade and peel. I suspect the Hasbro Prime toys will look just as awesome in 2032 as they look now.
    Don't even get me started on the packaging... I'm not a MISB kinda guy, but of I were I wouldn't give the AM series any consideration.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I'm sorry, this is incorrect.

The correct answer was "has the Rhinohammer"

14. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

:lol 

15. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. The economy. It's crap. Takara is trying to save some money just like everyone else. The fact that the Japanese yen is stronger than the US dollar is actually hurting them more than helping (expense of exporting their goods outside of Japan).

2. The Japanese like building model kits (which includes applying stickers and a little painting), and Takara is trying to capture some of the market that Gundam has (Gundam is much MUCH more popular than Transformers in Japan).

3. These toys are meant for a Japanese market, not Western. Don't expect Takara to cater to Western tastes.

4. If you don't like it, don't buy/import it. Takara probably couldn't care less about the dissatisfaction of non-Japanese customers because you're not their target audience/market base.

16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Agreed.:D 

17. Wolfdawg

News Credits:
    Well, like I mentioned, the Micron building thing is a bit understandable because I know some fans enjoy putting things together. The stickers, however, are horrible. The majority of the time, the Hasbro paint aps look better than the stickers on the Arms Microns figures. I think that reeks of pure laziness.

Everyone bashes Hasbro about lower quality plastic, high prices, and an overall cheaper feeling picture. But Takara uses the same molds and plastic that Hasbro does, but goes a step farther and just says "Screw paint aps! You want a decent looking figure? Put the stickers on yourself.". All this, and I still hear people bashing Hasbro and totally ignoring Takara's faults.

Sure, Takara has Breakdown and Jet Vehicon. Both are pretty good molds. But I have a friend who purchased Breakdown and the plastic quality isn't that great, the stickers took FOREVER to apply properly, and a good bit of the stickers are peeling off the figure! I own Jet Vehicon and while I like the figure, I don't think the plastic quality is all that great (the wings, in particular, are a little worrisome and I wouldn't expect them to survive a fall on a hardwood floor) and most of the stickers just look cheap to me. Actually, compared to G1 and Reprolabel sticker sets, the AM stickers seem to be of lower quality. A lot of the stickers aren't cut too well and tend to hang off the area where they're supposed to go. And, like I said, they tend to peel themselves off after a few transformations. I've only Transformed my Jet Vehicon once and the ankle stickers have wrinkles in them.

18. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I would like to add that stickers have actually filled in mising details that weren't filled on on their respective figures counterparts.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Gotta admit that this topic surprises me.

20. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Heck after the 'fun' that I had applying Ratchet's stickers, I have not bothered to apply the stickers to Jet Vehicon and Breakdown.