Your thoughts on Prime over the years

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chaos Muffin, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Some quickies,

G1 Prime : Was like a second dad. Thanks for adding to my morale fiber as a kid. The toy & character is the most nostalgic icon I can recall.

BW Primal Prime: Was pretty cool when in a bad mood. He seemed a little over compassionate at times, but he did'nt F around when he was on the job.

Beast Machines Primal: Wahh meditate wahh!!! is all I remember. What a whiny bitch.

RID Prime: Daaamn, this is what Im talking about! Total badass while staying completely humble. He's also a fire engine. Fire engines are NEAT!
    The toy version is still my favorite Prime & Omega Prime still looks amazing in person.

Armada Prime: Likes stupid kids.

Energon Prime : Don't remember him in the show much, because I blocked that mess from my memory.
    The toy however, was and still is pretty fun. I don't care if he's fat, the way he combined was fun in a Power Rangers way.
    It's like having a Zord that's poseable, and does'nt look like he's made from marshmellows :) 

Cybertron Prime: That show was a mess too, don't remember much except for Jetfire's accent.
    The toy kicked all kinds of ass all over the place. Forget your jets , roads & rockets. Space truckin bitch.

Alternators Prime- I had to have him, looked everywhere. Finally, I've found him!
    *Opened him up* "F*ck, ew!"

Classics Prime(s) - Almost perfect, but it's been years. A new updated version would be nice. Even the little deluxe version is nice if you remove the gimmick spring.

Animated Prime - I really liked the idea of him being a pupil, and watching him earn his way up into the ranks and prove himself was delightful.
    Animated treated Ultra Magnus alot better than G1 or RID did. This is what I've wanted the big guy to be like all along.
    The toys were a blast. Probably the most Animated toys in the whole TF universe. Once you get past the chins. These we're made for playing, and fortunately the transforming was quality.

Movieverse Prime - he's a frikkin psycho.

Prime Prime - This one get's it right. Once I got past the funny face, I've warmed up to him thanks to the wonderful writing of the show. Lets hope they don't mess this one up.

2. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Did anyone else just see their life pass before their eyes?

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    The toys, outside of Masterpieces, eclipsed with Cybertron Prime, and went downhill from there.

4. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

I feel like this thread more so relfects the series rather then the toy itself.

However, I agree with you entirely...

5. snoopcow

snoopcow Yara Naika?

i hope there is a leader of Prime's optimus that can combine with trailer / jetfire. for traditions sake

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    The original Prime is Prime.
    Powermaster Prime is a massive pile of shit compared to the non-Prime Ginrai! Cheap Hasbro cost-cutting.
    Star Convoy got re-issued within months of me buying an original,leaves me bitter.
    GoBot Prime is the Prime no-one likes.
    Laser Prime might just be the best toy.
    Primal deserves his own thread, but paved the way for Animated Prime
    Omega Prime is how to do a combined Prime
    Armada Prime is all gimmicks, but the deluxe has some charm
    Fat Prime is fat, Wing Saber helps.
    Cybertron Prime is beyond freaking cool! Huge Beast, great fun and playability.
    MP Prime hasn't aged well.
    Alternators Prime was disappointing.
    Robot Masters Prime was not of the caliber of the line.
    Movie Prime is Prime only in voice and name. Buster Prime is amazing though, and breaks all my rules of not having movie toys.
    Animated Prime shows brilliant character growth, probably the best story arc for a young Prime
    Classics Prime could have been really iconic if used in the fiction (IDW!)
    Prime Prime or "Jukebox" Prime - the toy is so accurate to the screen, I love that. The character, honestly, I feel could be replaced with a toy in the show, as long as that toy had a voice-chip that dispensed any one of 25 "inspirational" Prime lines. He's more a caricature of Prime than a true Prime to me.

and there are still dozens not mentioned...

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 prime: el classico
    Pm prime: used to dislike him, kinda want now
    G2 prime: neat but i tend to think scourge as owning that mold
    Cr prime: still havent combined him with mags after all these years, eww
    Am primd: the deluxe might be best deluxe prime ever
    Eng prime: fatimus prime lolol
    Cyb prime: neat but flying trucks are stupid
    Alt prime: cool alt mode but funny legs
    Movie prime: cool, woohoo flame paint job
    Anim prime: fave voyager prime
    Gen prime: cool but a bit bland
    Mp prime: cool bot mode, stupid truck mode
    Mp prime 2.0: just shows g1 design still cool after all these years
    Wfc prime: very cool design n is right up there with amd prime
    Prime prime: meh

No primal? Trukk not munky!

8. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

G1 Optimus Prime is still my favorite version of the character and I have a lot of nostalgia for the original Hasbro toy even though I admit that it is a little bland compared to many Transformers to come after. To spice up my G1 Optimus I display him with a Diaclone colored Ultra Magnus trailer. Master Piece Optimus is a great looking representation of the G1 design but it is too big and I have no desire to obtain a large collection of Masterpiece figures. I do NOT consider the Classics version to be a good incarnation of G1 Optimus. I’m still waiting for Hasbro to give us a Voyager scale Optimus that has the look of the Masterpiece version albeit less complex.

Robots in Disguise (Car Robots) Optimus Prime is the only alternate continuity Optimus that I feel actually embodied the true heart of Optimus’ character (Until TF Prime series). This series actually made him a hero. The toy is pretty fun too. I was so glad to see an Optimus that wasn’t an ape. After the many years of the Beast Wars/Machines run, it was nice to finally see the Autobot symbol return. Given that the 9-11 tragedy occurred just days after the cartoon first aired, this was truly the most appropriate time for Optimus to be a fire truck. Although I would have preferred Peter Cullen to voice this Optimus in the cartoon, I think Neil Kaplan did a great job and he is still my favorite non-Peter Cullen Optimus voice actor.

Beast Wars Optimus Primal was an OK character, but I don’t consider him to be on par with Optimus Prime. I like the Toys R Us exclusive version with the more accurate ape face head, robot head, and robot chest piece. That’s really the only toy version of the character that I like. And while we’re on Beast Wars, I really like Lio Convoy since I think he embodies the true heroic persona of a Prime. But Big Convoy, although a cool looking toy, is a bad character and is not very admirable.

Armada/Energon/Cybertron Optimus/Animated Optimus didn’t resonate with me. None of them felt like the heroic Optimus we knew from G1. I liked Gary Chalk much better as Optimus Primal than Optimus Prime.

Movie-verse Optimus Prime may have G1 Optimus Prime’s voice, but he’s not the same character. He is a ruthless no mercy killing machine. That might look cool in a big budget action film but he’s no hero to inspire a young generation of kids the way Sunbow’s Optimus Prime did for us.

Transformers Prime Prime actually feels like they got Optimus back on the right track. I like how the character is portrayed and I love hearing Peter Cullen supply the voice. I just don't like the cartoony style of animation. The eyebrows are just too much.

9. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    G1 Prime : The best. Brave, well spoken, got stuff done, and told you where to shove it. Voiced by the best man for the job.
    BW Primal Prime: Gary Chalk is my hero. And so was this Prime. His character was not a warrior, but was shoved into a bad situation at every step, and still made it work.
    Beast Machines Primal: Too much yoga munky. Worst toys ever.
    RID Prime: Second in line to G1.
    Armada Prime: The equivalent of Good Guy Greg. Befriends kids. Has bad guys shoot at them as a distraction.
    Energon Prime : Loved to fist vehicles until they became gloves or boots. Not the greatest, but he was willing to give the victory to Galvatron. All it takes is one sentence Prime: "SHUT UP KICKER."
    Cybertron Prime: Best toy ever. Too bad he was more of a facilitator than a warrior by this point. It kind of made him whiny.
    Alternators Prime- The reason why Truk not Munky was started. Too bad his shoulders hurt so bad. Much better in Nemesis colors.
    Classics Prime(s) - Look, my doors have arms! The continuity for what has been written isn't bad, not great, but not bad.
    Animated Prime - He needed to pull Sentinels voice box out through his chest. But he got his game face on for Megatron. That alone was worth it. They even gave him a proper love interest. Character is everything.
    Movieverse Prime - Justice through killing them all! Worst attitude for a Prime ever. Should have just called him PTSD Prime. But voiced by Cullen, so we'll forget all about that face ripping and stuff.
    Prime Prime - I. Quote. Stuff. From. The. Script. That. Makes. Me. Sound. Like. I. Am. In. Charge. I am totally shocked Cullen hasn't managed to put the right spin on this version. It's like talking to a toaster. (Arcee: Prime, I want you to know, even though we may freeze completely due to a completely unexplainable aversion to cold even though we've been in frozen tundra before, that it was an honor to serve with you. Prime: It is always an honor to serve with those who are willing to sacrifice against four score and seven years ago our forefathers....) It's like someone wrote him as Abra-bot Lincoln.

10. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Sure, movie Prime is an unlikable psycho, but damn if he didn't get some kick-ass toys. As a character, I think I like Animated prime the best; he wasn't over the top or overpowered, had a likable personality and was believable as a character, while still being 100% Optimus Prime.

Might like to see Megatron (Animated megs wins again) or Starscream versions of this thread in the future (no, don't do it right now).

11. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel that Movie Prime is over rated,just because it has jetwing with it,it is selling like hotcake even the black counterpart,i still prefer the MP01 the best Prime mold ever

12. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

As this is a toy topic i'll only talk toy design and not caracter.

G1 prime: never liked the toy, especially when you had jetfire, soundwave and the dinobots who were way cooler to own.
    MP Prime: solid brick, japanese version was okay.
    Action master prime: prime himself does not transform, so the essence of transformers was lost...
    G2 prime: see G1 prime
    BW ultra primal: looks horrible MISB, but loose and transformed he's great! Monkey mode suits him. A bit too many spring gimmicks but that's bickering. His japanese DX painted version si even better and the golden disk set version rules all!
    BW TM prime: perfect prime, very good articulation, no sound, no light. Maybe a bit small, but he is in line with the deluxes and you can have bigger bots then prime.
    BW optimal optimus: Big and well articulated but not my favorite, he lost his BW feeling.
    BW 2: not the best prime, he's a lion, okay alt mode, but the gimmich severely limit decelt posability, the RM version of him is alot better.
    BW Neo prime: Looks good in both modes. His gun is way too big and too many parts of the mamouth stick out here and there.
    BM deluxe primal: not as bas as you might recon, stupid weapon. Could have been great if it was a voyager.
    BM voyager primal: don't like him
    BM (rid): super class primal: great too look at, but a bit too big for my taste.
    RID Prime: Great vehicule mode (finally a firetruck!!) it represents the essence of what prime stands for! Robot mode is a bit of a part former, but still great too look at. Combined with magnis he's stunning!
    Armada super prime: The uber brick in combined mode. Like the normal mode a bit, serieusly lacks articulation. Autotransform gimmick is useless.
    Armada deluxe "bendy" prime: Great little toy!
    Energon: fat sumo prime, not appealing at all, this goes for the leader and the deluxe
    Cybertron: big, not my style, too childish look, didin't get him.
    MP 1.0: Good looking, big, articulated, all that a masterpiece should be, showing age now.
    Alternator prime: badly designed, not my thing
    Movie 1 prime: not that great. rush job and due to overcomplex movie CGI prime not well done.
    Classics voyager prime: perfect representation of a modern G1 prime, should have come with a modern functional trailer.
    Classics deluxe prime: not bad it the didn't put in the torso-turn gimmick
    Movie 2 prime: great mold, but usually badly painted by hasbro. Takara does it more credit.
    Alternity prime: Great mold, fantastic detail, should have been a bit bigger doh
    Animated deluxe prime (cybertron): One of the best deluxe toys i ever owned, underestimated by far!
    Animated deluxe prime (earth mode): good, but not as good as the cybertron mdoe version.
    Animated voyager prime: great representation, good size and posability, simple and elegant. Whould need a better gun and axe doh.
    WFC Prime: excellent mold, needed to come with a war axe and in voyager scale to be really perfect!
    Prime Prime: not my thing, blend from animated an d movie prime, doesn't work for me. Also they forgot paint.
    MP Prime 2.0: looks very good, but the price kills this guy instantly, over expensive for what you get. Also only for old school guys.
    Ultimate OP (aka butterfly prime): just doesn't work for me. Also badly painted.

It's a long list and i didn't even get them all :( 

13. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

1984-1998 (G1 Prime): He's optimus Prime. How do you THINK I feel about him?

1998-2001 (Primal): Oh, interesting. A down to earth Prime who's flawed and still badass. And he's- wait, what? He's becoming a hippie? ... huh.

2007 (Movieverse Prime): Oh cool, great looking robot, though he's sorta.. goofy... little bit odd, but I like him.

2008 (Animated): He's like BW Primal x 100. Cool.

2009-2012 (Movie, mostly): FOR GOD'S SAKE I AM SICK OF YOU, RED AND BLUE PRIME. JUST RELEASE A SINGLE PRIME FIGURE IN ANY COLOR SCHEME BUT RED AND BLUE. WHY WILL YOU NOT DO THAT?

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    On the contrary, I feel MP-1 is greatly overrated (while still good, of course). It was groundbreaking at the time though.

The ROTF Leader mold and its derivatives (not even counting Striker/Jetwing accessories) are awesome beyond toyline preferences; there was a time when I disliked movie toys, yet I still couldn't deny it was an outstanding figure through and through.

15. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I agree with many here but...
    [​IMG]
    This guy really seems to capture the bulk of a soldier Prime.
    I also like Don's War Within design.

16. AMG

AMG Old School

G1 - Legendary toy, my favorite Optimus.

BW - Loved all the toys, my 2nd favorite Optimus.

BM - Don't have any of the toys, decent character but not nearly as good as he was in BW.

R.I.D. - Amazing toy, good character.

Unicron Trilogy - Good toys, serviceable Optimus.

Movies - Toys range greatly in quality, decent (yet psychotic at times) character.

Animated - Good toys, great character.

TFP - Don't have any of the toys, not a fan of the character.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The THS-02 Convoy is pretty damn good too, if really small. Got one right after Xmas and I really like it.

18. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    G1 Optimus is my childhood hero