Your thoughts on how Hasbro/Takara should handle repaints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I try to stay away from getting repaints if I already own the original figure or a superior color of that mold. But I was thinking yesterday if it would be better to release repaints simultaneously. For example, last summer when Concept Camaro Bumblebee came out, would it have been better to release movie Cliffjumper along with him? That way, buyers have a choice. Of course, that's assuming a red repaint of BB was in the works. It probably doesn't make any sense from a marketing standpoint, but I'm speaking more in terms of a collector. Thoughts?

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, that'd be great collectors, but as you say yourself, it wouldn't work from a marketing standpoint. Retailers wouldn't want to order packs where half the figures are the same one in different colours. The only way I could see it working (and even then, probably only in theory) is if instead of say, 6 Bumblebees to a case, they had 3 & 3, or 4 Bumblebees and 2 Cliffjumpers, so the redecoes aren't taking up space that a new mould rightfully ought to.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Yea, I'd say have more of the original mold in stock and offer a few repaints on the side.

4. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    i rather like the way they do things now... with recolors that round out toylines, as well as backup sublines of recolors, and most if not all of them done very well.

while it's nice to have the choice up front, simultaneous releases pretty much defeat one of the purposes of recolors in the first place [which is to visually refresh shelves/pegs later on in the line, without spending a lot on overhead]. i'm fine with waiting until later in the line for recolors. they're usually worth waiting for... Big Daddy and others [and later on, TFTM Mudflap] have all proven themselves to be worth holding out for.

5. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I like the way they're shipping the repaints now. But I have 1 gripe. I think every figure in a toy line should get at least 1 repaint before the line ends. I'm still waiting for a Cybertron Defense Scattorshot & Evac repaint.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I think repaints should be always be a new character, none of this "battle damaged" crap or "Night Attack" junk. And they should also be some sort of homage or reason behind the choice in colors. Let the original molds be the new characters while they get repainted in 'classic' ways. Also, a new head here and there couldn't hurt, those do wonders for selling a toy because it helps add to the fact that it is a new character.

I honestly like the way Hasbro does most of it's repaints, where they help pad out the end of their lines by mixing some new and old figs. But I'll agree that every (voyager or smaller) mold should try to get at least one repaint. I'm still waiting for the '74 Camaro to be repainted in any color besides yellow and black. It's such a generic looking robot it could have passed itself off as an homage to tons of G1 guys. Shame he didn't even get one real repaint (I don't consider Battle Damaged toys as repainted).

7. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

This is not really true, most stores hardly EVER know whats in the case when they are ordering. I say most because the people who are doing the ordering really dont know what a BB or a repaint Cliffjumper is.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I definitely agree with Zie about the first point; so-called "battle-damage" doesn't seem like worthwhile use of a redeco, especially when it's basically just a bit of airbrushed black and silver. The "Night Attack" and "stealth"-type redecos I can kinda deal with, as long as there's some kind of reason for it.
    I don't think redecos should necessarily be homage characters, though that is nice if it's feasible. I think there's plenty of room for new characters among the old, and since many of the old-hands shared moulds, I don't see why the new guys shouldn't as well.

I do like the idea of redecoing all the smaller moulds at some point (and even some of the larger ones, if there's a feasible use for it, e.g. Leader-class Metrotitan or Fort Max ;) ).

Fair point. Although I daresay they'd pretty narked to open to case to find it's all redecos. Add to that not everyone will be buying several copies of the same mould, so they'd probably end up with shelfwarming stock, and be reluctant to order more.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some good points here. We know that repaints have been a part of TFs since the very beginning; and in spite of the fury they seem to generate in some, we've been told at Botcon by the Hasbro panel that repaints assist significantly in recouping development costs... ultimately helping to keep the line profitable and viable.

Hasbro has also stated that as they plan releases, they do not anticipate that someone would choose to purchase EVERY figure... so repainting provides a nice variety/selection for parents/kids who might like the look of one color over another. Sure, a lot of us buy them all, but that's the exception, not the norm.

It's funny, because when we were kids we looked at it much more positively... we said things like "Red Alert transforms just like Sideswipe", not "Red Alert is a repaint of Sideswipe". Because their personalities were fleshed out, we had no problem distinguishing them from one another as characters, in spite of their mechanical similarities.

Those types of small changes to molds (Trailbreaker to Hoist, Grapple to Inferno, the Fairlady mold, the seeker wings) go a long way to help identify the toy as a new character. I'd love to see more of these types of adjustments, as well as new heads... but a straight-up repaint is obviously the most economical solution. More directly in answer to the original post, it's probably wiser to keep them at the end of the line, for the reasons lastmaximal stated.

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I agree with Noisemaze that each toy should have one repaint. I also like the idea of just remodeling the head. For example Classics Cliffjumper with a remolded head (I know they had that limited kit but not wide release) would have been a really nice release. Overall they aren't doing a bad job but even minor changes sometimes make a huge difference on how badly I want the toy. Of course I am in the minority of the market they are aiming for but I still think it could make an impact.

11. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

That's why I think the first version of the mold should be the new guy and the repaint should be an 'old-hand'. Sort of like Cyb Downshift was a new character but his repaint, Big Daddy, was a Micromaster homage. The Cyb Crosswise mold falls into this situation too, where the original mold was an Original character (in a sense) but he had two 'Old-Hand' inspired repaints (G1 Smokescreen and G2 Jolt) to help re-push the mold. The new characters get some love for being new molds and the repaints get some love for being 'classic homages'. Something I think works out real well for everyone.

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes the cliffjumper classic is a big turn off to me because of this reason. No remolded head. At least give us that nothing else on the figure other than its coler needed to be changed. To me it is just being lasy not to do this. The G1 version was a different mold than bumble bee but at least the heads were different as well. I am not going to say anything else because it will just make me angry. I'm just gonna shut down and recharge the batteries.

13. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

True. And to this day, when I think of "Repaints," I don't include the G1 stuff. I still look at those figures/characters differently.

14. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I don't understand why they didn't repaint movie jazz as something useful. They released a FAB jazz recolored as smokescreen, it seems like they could have easily done that or any other g1 car. Instead they smash him up and make him "final battle" jazz... LAME

15. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd prefer them to at least have some new parts. Failing that, using repaints of existing molds to give us characters we'd otherwise never ever get (Big Daddy comes to mind) goes a long ways towards getting over the "I already own that mold" stimga (bad ass coloring job helps here too). Of course, re-deco (new parts and paints) into an otherwise overlooked character is the best of both worlds here.

16. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I like and can deal with how they do it now. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the Animated line though...
    I'd still like to see more of the older molds redoced like Universe 1.0 for those that missed out on them.
    Though more retools like Premium Bee and Prime wouldn't hurt anybody either.
    DN

17. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I'm not sure that all toys need a repaint (Shortround I'm looking at you), but those are two amazing toys that I would have thought were automatic repaints.

Two lines later, and we get repaints of Armada Red Alert, Cybertron Mudflap (a chronic shelfwarmer), and Quickmix for Universe? Doesn't make sense to me.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sure they could manage that if they made fewer original molds in a given line. ;) 

19. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Well, actually the head we got looks more like Cliffjumper than Bumblebee. So Bumblebee needs the remolded head, not Cliffjumper. Cliffjumper had a nose & mouth, Bumblebee had a face plate like Prime. I kinda irritates me when everybody keeps saying that Classics Cliffjumper needs a new head when it's actually Bumblebee that's wrong. They should've just kept the G1 cartoon as close to the G1 toys as possible & then we wouldn't have this problem these days.

Totally! I laugh my ass off every time I think about Armada Red Alert being repainted. Especially as "INFERNO". That just cracks me up. All they had to do was put a ladder on Mudflap & paint him red & THAT could've been Classics Inferno. And instead of an Erector homage you have Classics Grapple. That would've been a much better exclusive set than what we're getting. Now I have to get 2 Mudflaps & paint one red & find a ladder that will fit.

20. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my opinion people over complicate they way repaints are picked. People are complaining about mudflap not being grapple or being released at all. I think if you use some common sense its pretty easy to follow the thought process. We all know the movie line was extended due to retailer demands. Which is also probably why we suddenly have all these store exclusives.

Toyrus wants two voyager price point items. Hasbro is limited to molds that are available relatively quickly, can pass for the realistic tone of the line, and they need an autobot and a decepticon. If you look back Mudflap is the only voyager mold that is both realistic and works as a decepticon. I can think of two others but Scavenger has that crappy leg gimmick and evac is out since they will already have two other voyager helicopters on the shelf at the same time.

Now, mudflaps had a preexisting repaint that was planned but cancelled. However that color scheme isnt realistic so hasbro needs a new one. My guess fro them not ussing grapple's is that they used it already, on energon roadblock. So the use the color scheme of a g1 crane they havent used already

I think a process like this is probably used for most repaints and i think it works fine