Your Thoughts on G1 Upgrades & Custom Parts

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CURAMEN, Apr 15, 2010.

1. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    This is a thread only about G1 Upgrades and Custom Parts.

I just wanted to get the overall feel and opinions of what everyone else thinks about all the G1 Upgrades and Custom Parts that are getting produced recently.

For me, I really like the fact that 3rd parties are making upgrades and customs to enhance the overall appeal for G1 toys.

So far I have purchased the custom Ratchet and Ironhide heads by Best Toys, custom pile-drivers for Frenzy and Rumble and custom Soundwave and Soundblaster heads by Maiden Japan and the Devastator Upgrades by Crazy Devy... All of which are AWESOME!!!

I look forward to more G1 Upgrades and Custom Parts and applaud anyone and/or any company that takes an interest in making vintage TF's that much more cooler.

Heck, I would like to see them do some type of upgrade or custom on each G1 toy!

Imagine having a G1 cartoon accurate Omega Supreme or Trailbreaker head or upgrades to all combiners similar to what CrazyDevy has done for Devastator... That truly would be something IMO.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?

2. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I heartily agree with you... I got all the CrazyDevy upgrades for G1 Devs and love them. They've transformed him into my Classics Devastator! Even little things, like the WST Shockwave coming with a new hand for G1 Bruticus was fairly cool. I think a lot of these G1 upgrade parts are pretty clever engineering and vastly improve the figures (though I'm sure many are hesitant, like I was, to mess with expensive G1 toys).

I missed out on the custom piledrivers, but am considering getting the CrazyDevy ones, if they're easy to attach, and if the headsculpt looks better in person than the prototypes. I'm also cautiously optimistic about their Predaking upgrades (as their Devastator ones are awesome)... but wary about having to disassemble anything on G1 Preds, as he cost me an arm & a leg.

I'd love to see some kinda upgrades for G1 Megs, as I have a love-hate relationship with the toy.

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only have the Ratchet and Ironhide heads and I must say, they are absolutely amazing.

4. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Love 'em!
    I have the CrazyDevy leg upgrade, MAIDEN JAPAN's Soundwave head and the Ratchet and Ironhide heads and they all add a lot of appeal to the toys.

5. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Even though I don't own any of them, I think they're all great, especially the Crazy Devy stuff (I'd own it if it wasn't so god damned expensive).

It's nice for companies to to be focusing on the older toys rather than the new shiny ones.

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not just wanting G1 upgrades - new ramps and stuff for Gigastorm would be nice, so would a Beast Wars weapons set (Depth Charge, Dinobot, Rattrap,etc...).

Even something as simple as ramp connectors that enable the connection of the various base modes more easily.

7. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Those heads for Ratchet and Ironhide are phenomenal. Encore Ironhide is now one of my all time favourite TF's thanks to that clip on head.

A new sword/propellor for G1 Springer would be nice.

I keep meaning to get the Energon axes for G1 Optimus and Magnus.

The little Megatron gun and fists with holes were nice on Reissue Starscream a few years back.

8. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Some of that stuff looks pretty nice (piledrivers for F/R, Crazy Devvy bits etc.) & some of them add heaps to the actual figure (heads for Ironhide/Ratchet) but the only G1 accessory I own so far is an I-gear Autoscout cassette. I know it's not technically an accessory but it definitely fits in well with the rest of my cassettes. I also own the Impossible Toys Spike & Sparkplug and when you're not losing their helmets/wrenches, they make nice little representations of those characters. :) 

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the upgrades are awesome to be honest. Its nice that people decided to upgrade all these old toys. For one, ratchet and Ironhide really needed faces...

10. AMG

AMG Old School

I thinks it's pretty cool that they're making upgrades for the G1 bots. Some of them are really nice and add a lot to the toys.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i wanted the Crazy Devy Hands upgrade for my Devs, but i can't justify 40 bucks for 2 fists and a gun.

but that doesn't mean i don't think they are awesome.
    wish that more could be made and price could be dropped, but i understand why it's not like this yet.

honestly, i can't explain why i have yet to get the IH/Ratchet heads set. that would be an easy add to my PoL...

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm glad they're available for the folks that want them, but they don't do anything for me.

Part of G1's charm is in its limitations.