Your TF design pet peeves?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HunGrrr, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Movie Convoy

Movie Convoy Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yup.

• Like Like x 1
  2. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Need new Legacy G2 Leadfoot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Curling arms!
    Why? Why do these happen at times?

• Like Like x 5
  3. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The same reason a lot of these pet peeves happen. Compromise, for lack of a better word, between style and funtion.

4. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    When there is no weapon storage in robot and/or alternate mode. Bugs me because the robot has to hold the weapon all the time, even when he's just chillin out at base, or you have to imagine the weapon integrates into the alt mode when it's really in your shirt pocket or wherever.

When there are vehicle mode parts visible near the corresponding fake part in bot mode. Example: Studio Series Ironhide's front bumper. He has a fake bumper folded across his chest, and the real one just below at his waist. *twitch*

• Like Like x 4
  5. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Their weapon should be in the arms room when their at the base, of in their hands if their at a forward operating base.

6. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Using weaker plastic like Gold plastic

• Like Like x 4
  7. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

One of my pet peeves has nothing to do with design, but I can't see starting a new thread for it.

Anyway, I hate when pin joints have plastic left over where the pin gets pushed through. I like seeing the metal of the pin ends. No idea why it bugs me so much, but it does. I use a dental pick to pry the plastic out.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't like overuse of Chrome(T30 Jetfire, AOE line), overuse of PVC(AOE dinos), nor overuse of clear plastic(POTP). I like clear plastic but using it for pinned or ball joints that could be subject to tension due to transformation or posing, hell no.

• Like Like x 3
  9. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed, WFC Megatron used clear plastic in amazing ways, I am referring to one based on the game,

10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

1. When a toy DOESN'T have storage for their weapon in vehicle mode. Parts don't really get lost wen you actually have a place to put them.

2. Combiners that aren't self contained. Meaning the hands, feet, and other essential parts to form the combined mode should all be built into the figures. They're not useful in any other mode so if they aren't self contained then you end up with spare parts that can get lost making the combined mode useless.

3. Combiners with duplicate limbs. Each limb should be a unique mold not just a repaint. Elita-One is now the worst offender because she has three limbs that are all the exact same mold.

4. Fake kibble. If you can't get the windshield to form the chest of the robot mode then the robot just shouldn't have a windshield for a chest. This is especially irritating to me when the real windshield is located directly under the fake one. Why even have those parts to form a fake vehicle mode part when the real one is already there to begin with? That just seems redundant. I think Masterpiece Cheetor also has a fake cheetah head covering his actual cheetah head. Why have a fake piece there when you could just leave it uncovered and show the real one?

5. Obvious robot parts visible in the alternate mode. This doesn't bother so much when it's the under side of a car because unless you're a mechanic you're not going to look there but this is a problem when you're a flyer and the under side of your jet mode is just a mess of robot parts. The biggest problem is organic looking beastformers. Some are OK like Optimus Primal everything is pretty well hidden but other figures like Waspinator or Rattrap have some obvious robot parts showing. It's not so bad with robotic beasts because then they just blend in with the design but when they're suppose to look organic it's much harder to hide the robot parts. Then you have guys like Energon Ironhide who just have their robot head out in plain sight.

6. Extra panel lines. This is a persistent problem with Bayformers. The simpler transformations means that the only panel lines are ones that you would already expect to see on that vehicle in the first place. The overly complex designs means there are panel lines on parts that would normally be solid parts making it really obvious that it's a Transformer and not just a toy car.

11. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Gerwalk modes. There, I said it :D 

Seriously though, electronics requiring anything larger than a watch battery. Screws up articulation and the whole figure has to be built around five AA batteries, WTH?

Also, limited articulation on any size class that should have obviously had it. Prime cyberverse had so much win, you're telling me a 2" little red car from 2010 is going to have 27 points of articulation for $4.00, but in 2018 there's a $50 megatron tank the size of my head without any frakin' elbows?

Plenty more but those are my two biggies right now.

12. IgnikaMarcus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Assuming 1 & 2 are Moonracer and Novastar, who's the 3rd?

And before you say "Chromia", she doesn't combine.

13. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Just found this thread--Visible tabs, especially asymmetrical leg ones. I hate 'em. Half the time I just take my sprue clippers and nip them off, a lot of bots don't even need them to hold together and they just cheapen and toyetify the look of the figure unnecessarily.

14. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sure this has been said, but it is unacceptable to require the user to bend parts around one another in order to transform the figure. I thought I was going to snap poor little SS VW BB last night while folding the roof into his back. No fucking bueno.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Chromia is the exact same mold as Moonracer and Novastar just with a new head. She may not come with a Prime Armor but remember that the feet parts for combined mode were packaged with PotP torso bots. Limbs all came with fists. I kinda doubt they retooled the figure to remove the combiner pegs since Elita-One still needs two more limbs, removing that gimmick would cost more money to retool than a simple head swap, and removing it also removes play value from the figure.

16. IgnikaMarcus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, she doesn't combine. The most telling detail is that Moonracer and Novastar have 5mm holes on their front bumpers, whereas Chromia doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Just looked at the pictures again and $#!+ you're right... WTF Hasbro? Why even use that mold if she's not going to be a combiner especially when we already have a decent Chromia?

OK new pet peeve... retooling a figure in a way that REMOVES a feature from the toy.

18. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

PoTP Jazz being 75% clear plastic, classics voyager Optimus having no ankle articulation.

19. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

The cam / peg type design feature Hasbro uses ( a LOT, Too too much), like on TR Blitzwings wings where they connect to the body, those lil cam nubs pop out as much as not when articulating or rotating them. pretty much ANY other solution works better for this type of joint Hasbro uses it constantly/ it is the type of thing you would have NEVER seen in G1 and it essentially makes that point of articulation parts forming since it falls out and has to be replaced every time it is used. Another grievous example of it is the articulated Hinge at POTP Jazz' body where the windshield meets the hood, the whole guy pops in half when it fails which is often.

Another is the type of 9 again) cam peg hinge used on NovaStars Wrist. pops out pretty much any time you try and articulate it or move a weapon in and out of her hand.

The 5mm pegs on the prime master decoy armors have to used from one exact position or they pop out and have to be resituated and put back in.

Thesis: In short any joint prone to popping off and being replaced essentially making an other wise sound structure into a partsformer.

20. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Light piped eyes. Looks good if you're holding your figure up to the window, but the rest of the time they look like dark, soulless voids.

Just paint them. Ta.

• Like Like x 5