Your TF design pet peeves?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HunGrrr, Jan 25, 2016.

1. HunGrrr

HunGrrr Walks with Elias

Out of curiosity, what is the one design aspect/choice of a TF that bothers you the most and why? Hopefully we'll get a ton of varied answers.

My biggest pet peeve would have to be when a weapon or accessory partsforms into an integral part of the alt mode. The reason why it irks me is because of you lose the part, you essentially lose one mode of the toy. (I'm looking at you, G1 Wreck-Gar and your tire "shield") Another example would be stealth bomber Megatron and the cannon made from his wings.

What are yours?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Starry Night Melody

News Credits:
    Wide ass hip joints that make posing awkward.
    Combiner Wars has been horrible at this but I understand why.
    Still, if I'm paying $100+ I'd like it to be able to at least do something besides stand and flail it's arms about. :lol 

3. Rushin Panther

Rushin Panther Well-Known Member

Mine would be the opposite of yours entirely where you have a sleek cool lookng vehicle with a big honking gun stuck on top. Pretty much all the stupid MECH Tech crap we got from the movie line.

• Like Like x 3
  4. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    I know I will get some hate for this, but I can't stand balljoints.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Typically faux parts do.
    Also, I can't stand feet that are molded posed.
    Molded blocks for fists instead of sculpted hands.
    Articulation hindered for no good reason.
    Flimsy plastic and tons of holes just to "save on costs"
    Emoted faces sculpted (I prefer stoic faces)
    Organic designs
    Animal alt mode arms/hands+legs/feet used for robot mode arms/hands+legs/feet
    Car parts that unnecessary transform (doors don't need to just split into 4 parts "just because", for example)
    Parts that should tab or lock that don't for no discernable reason).

Those are just off the top of my head....

• Like Like x 5
  6. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I dislike most of Animated too.

One of my pet peeves is permanently attached heads that can only swivel left and right. I love the range of motion that comes with ball joints (and the fact that they can be removed and replaced for customs).

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Parts that are going to see a lot of friction or scratching getting painted anyway and thus inevitably get easily worn down. I.E. the head of Generations Cosmos - ever since that problem was discovered, I've never transformed him back into spaceship mode since you gotta use your fingernail to pry the head up.

Toys obviously designed with light-piping in mind that never use them, or have clear plastic eyes but so much back kibble all light is blocked.

Rubber parts that have no purpose in being rubber. Oh, yes, I'm looking at you Generations Blitzwing helmet.

I don't think most of Animated had weapons that stored as parts of the vehicle. Half? Sure. but I can cite numerous examples where that isn't the case.

• Like Like x 3
  8. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or the light piping is there, but they went and painted over the eyes.

Ah. The only ones I was ever interested in had this problem. (I only have one left: Blurr)

• Like Like x 2
  9. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ratchets without fine enough spacing to allow for nuanced articulation. E.g. LG13/CW Leader Megs.

Anything that makes standing unstable (overly small/light/insufficiently tight feet and/or ankles for instance.)

Friction joints on LARGE robots with HEAVY limbs which will tend to droop over time. (Fine on smaller bots.)

Insecure tabs prone to separate on their own.

Figure dependent: transparent or lightpiped eyes instead of painted. (E.g. Takara's MP-10 vs Hasbro's... but then I love Leader Megs' light piping lol. So yeah, figure dependent.)

Should add that while these are pet peeves, I can live with them happily unless they're really severe.

10. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Tiny feet! Recently reposed my dotm shelf and everyone stands just fine......except Dino. Love the figure, then again I somehow never got rotf sideways so to me it is new, but if i want to pose him it has to leaning against someone else!

11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Modern day, FOC and beyond figures (outside of the MP line) with their over reliance on crappy, uninspired, overly reliant on tabbing parts style engineering. Figures used to have much more solid transformations where things really locked into place.

12. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

Probably humongous chests. They always look like they will get in the way on an actual robot and mess with the silhouette. Thankfully uncommon.

Friction joints on large, heavy toys as mentioned before.

Whatever made my Whirl's arm so floppy. Lack of heels, top heaviness... anything that can make toys hard to stand.

Light piping bothers me too. I would rather my Transformers look like they have a constant, cartoon accurate glow instead of looking dead in dark areas. I don't like clear windows much either because they clash with the cartooniness that painted eyes and general aesthetics usually bring.

13. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

Difficulty standing due to top heaviness/back heaviness/no heels
    Curling elbows
    Unnecessary faux parts, particularly when it's a key part of a bot mode.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Annoys me as well, Probably most so in Beast Wars - Cheetor's butt and gut guns, Wolfang's tail and entire back. Makes the alt-mode look terrible if anything gets lost too. It's at its worst when the weapons/accessories don't look like anything other than the removed chunks, like Cybershark's (non-TM) shark head and tail, which were a... claw, and... a hammer... I guess.

15. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    One of my pet peeves is when hands fold out of an arm, but don't have a flap to cover the empty space in the arm. Not a fan of empty spaces in general but for some reason it bothers me more when its in the arms (I suppose because it's usually fixable with an arm flap).

Guess I'm not a fan of lightpiping in general either. I would much prefer that the eyes are painted. For the most part I'm not too bothered, but what I hate the most is when the clear plastic for the lightpiping makes up the entire back half of the head as in the case of TFA Blackarachnia and Legends Slipstream.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I hate light piping.

I don't like being able to store the weapon in the alt mode, i.e. - the gun barrel turns into the car's exhaust pipe. It's cute but ultimately unnecessary and makes it parts-forming.

I don't like when there is some aspect of the alt mode that winds up ruining the robot mode, i.e. - CW Mixmaster's mixer.

I really don't like asymmetry. Don't get me wrong, it can be done right but those cases are few and far between, like Beast Wars Megatron. That works. Gimp arm Megatron from Michael Bay doesn't. Asymmetry is an artistic interpretation that I just don't think robots are capable of.

Faux alt mode parts. I don't remember what Optimus it was, but one featured a fake truck cab for the chest. That's cheating.

17. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

1 Loose Joints.. This was a feature of Combiner Wars Deluxes and it stunk. of the 16 deluxes I got so far I had to stuff papertowel bits in nearly every hip joint, at least 4 shoulders, had to force painter's tape in Rook's elbows to even hold up a hand foot gun.. No excuses for this! Especially when the Prowl/Wildrider mold has inexplicable ratchet joints.. on the fists tight enough to make half the transformers produced in the last 20 years jealous!

2. Tiny Trucks.. I am damn tired of tiny truck almodes.. Prime, recent Generations and Combiner wars are Littered with them! There is no reason CW Offroad/Firstaid should look so tiny next to the Prowl and Mirage molds. Prime Kup was embarrassingly tiny!

3 Incomplete repaints/remolds.. For example CW Chopshop.. the ends of the mandibles could have been made ragged edges instead of just keeping Shrapnel's cylinders.. would have been a nearly perfect repaint.

4. Improperly geared ratchet joints.. Hasbro has been making Transformers for decades, there is simply no excuses for this anymore! None!

5. Unstable feet. Don't need to go into too much detail here..

6. Monkey wrists (Formerly gorilla arms) Transformer hands should ALWAYS be molded with swivels or to end up vertical.

These are basics, basics of design not even getting into nitpicks that I had listed before and decided to forego..

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I really prefer transparent cockpits on jets. I wish the CW Aerialbots had them. I didn't buy the CW Leader seekers because of the painted faux cockpit. As mentioned, molded angled feet, as well.

19. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    man, that reminds me of Cyberton Thundercracker -- he was BASICALLY the exact same design as a Cyberjet, and you'd think with 10 years of engineering expertise behind them they could improve on it, but nope: the front and back half of the body didn't peg together and left him a useless floppy mess.

20. Mixmaster

Mixmaster [Excited quacking]

News Credits:
    The tiny "feet" on RotF Sideways and and his remould Dino are only their toes, the rear wheel forms a heel for the foot, which makes them far more stable.

• Like Like x 1