Your Story - Completing Transformers with Missing Pieces

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CURAMEN, Mar 24, 2010.

1. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I am quite sure a few of us on this forum have purchased Transformers that were not complete and had to piece them together to either save on the cost of buying one that is complete or simply for the thrill of the hunt of completing an action figure.

It would be very interesting to share your stories with others on the forum, include the cost and time spent associated with completing your Transformers and post pics of the figure(s) you’ve had the pleasure of completing.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Too many stories, actually. But it's a good topic. Basically, I figure I've completed 100-200 G1 toys this way, over eBay, the Junkion and Botcon parts parties. And repro parts in a couple of cases.

They were fun hunts, but completed toys are even more fun!

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Lots of Botcon parts hunts here as well. Very rewarding, especially when it's the one piece that lets you use one of the features of the toy, like Thunderclash's back door / gunnery station platform. I was so happy when I got that part a while back.

4. CURAMEN

News Credits:
    My First Fortress Maximus

The Fortress Maximus pictured in my signature below with my daughter was purchased from Botcon 2009 in Pasadena on May 29th.

I believe I purchased it for $550, but no more than $600, and it was missing Grommet and the gun for Cerebros.

I purchased Grommet from another dealer at Botcon 2009 the following day for either $25 or $30 and purchased the gun for Cerebros on eBay for $62.29 on June 18th.

It took me 3 weeks and a grand total between $637.29 to $692.29 to finally own my first complete Fortress Maximus that’s bone-white and appears to be in C8 to C9 condition.

This is the first Transformer I ever bought that was incomplete and I am very happy to have it in my collection.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One unexpected and quite bargain-tastic instance came last year - I picked up RiD Prime at Auto Assembly for £20, but he was missing two of his rear tyres. After struggling to find spares for months, I was at a car boot sale last November and what do I find? A scratched, marked, incomplete RiD Prime... with all his tyres. :)  £1.50!

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

At Botcon 2008, I found a driver-side door for my beat-up Re-issue Prowl (not so much beat up as incomplete, he lacked the door and all the owner-applied stickers), which was the only part he was missing. As that Re-issue Prowl was my first G1-era figure, finding that door was really awesome.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Since I don't buy loose vintage, the only parts I have actively seeked was a tail of BW Prowl. I think I got him for $7 or so shipped from the UK.
    I have other incomplete bots I picked up at a thrift shop for $2 a bag, but I normally don't bother to complete them, as they shouldn't be too expensive to get a complete one, them being from newer series. I wouldn't have worried about Prowl either if I didn't get Santon/Ironhide and Skywarp/Silverbolt.

I can see how it can be rewarding and might be saving money for older figures :) 

8. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Sol Fury managing to find some of the last few pieces for my Piranacon at Botcon, and Omnius finding the fists in his loft :D 

9. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

BW Optimus Primal and Megatron (the original Ultras) were probably my hardest to complete. I was a poor college student at the time and couldn't afford to buy complete ones (since this was a few years after retail) so I had to buy junkers to scratch together complete figures.

I must have bought at least 4-6 junker lots before completing all missiles, facemasks, swords, hip missiles et al.

Come to think of it I'm still missing Scorponok's missiles....

10. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget Piranacon's sword!

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    foster is further along than I am here, but I share this same sentiment. I made a little bit of an extent to post some of my own stories here, in real time, but just kinda lost track of it.

My recent venture was G1 Wheeljack. I had lost the left spoiler in first grade when I took him complete to school with me one day. We played in the gym, and noticed I lost the part when we returned to the classroom. In panic, I went back to the gym after school (had to wait 3 hours for school to be out; that's 16 years in 1st grade time), and the janitor even tried to help me look under the bleachers and such, but nothing.

iamratchet on here sold me one and a few other parts for a decent deal, and I literally was waiting by the mailbox the day they came. Wheeljack needs some reprolabels and a touch-up paint job, but I'm just THRILLED he's complete again.

On a similar note, I really got back into Transformers through repairing some of my bots. My G1 cars all had the broken roof, among a few others. Oddly enough, I just had an attempt to repair a Skullgrin gun, but the plastic handle was too far shot. You win some and you lose some, I've found. :) 

12. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rebuilding G1s: as much about the journey as it is about the destination. Time/effort/$$$ indeed, I finally brought my G1 Ultra Magnus up to code two weeks ago (got everything except 2 small fists for white Prime + a 2nd cab connector, don't need those to display).

But trying to complete my old Power/Head/Target-masters is gonna put me in the poor house. I'm sooo close with G1 Nightbeat and Hosehead, just need those stupid little antenna-guns. I've see them go for at least $10-$20 each, and that's before the outrageous shipping. But when I do, that day's gonna be super-sweet

13. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

Years ago (1999-2000?), way before the encore series, my friend gave me his old Omega Supreme which was about 50% complete. It was missing lots; battery cover, backpack, a few tracks,and had zero yellow clips. I haven't really been trying, but in the past decade I've bought peices here and there and now he's about 98% complete. At first I was gung-ho about it, ebayed a few things. But he's still incomplete :( 

Now I'm working toward a G1 Defensor. In fact, I just received the reprolabels for them today!

14. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Well, haven't completed him yet, but putting shiny new reprolabels on my G1 Kup last year was a moment of joy! I'm really hoping to find Kup's musket rifle for under $20 at Botcon this year.

15. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Well, I was very lucky that my OCD father made me return my toys to there proper places as a kid, and when he put them in the air conditioned attic for storage he put them and all their weapons in plastic baggies. Around 1998 when I got back into collecting I assembled my nearly complete 84-86 collection. In one baggie I found this tiny double barreled silver gun. It didn't seem to fit anything, and its soft molding look made me think it was to something else. Over the next few years I would come across this gun, I remember running across it many many times and wondering WTF it went to. Scroll forward a few more years, I get a TF accessory guide and what do I see? The Double barrel cannon, for Full Tilt in Trypticon's page. F#@& me if I cannot find it anywhere for years, I ripped my home apart on multiple occasions, for it never to be seen again. One day I saw an armed full tilt on the forums and once again got super pissed. So I bought it on ebay for $45, and I feel no more stress. It was quite satisfying. I know now that I bought it it will turn up sooner or later, but until then, no stress!

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I had gotten a G1 Sky Lynx in a collection trade with a friend (got my Sixshot from it as well :D ), but the legs and such were broken. I ended up getting a spare Lynx with everything intact except the electronics. I had to swap parts, and had both of them disassembled on my bed. I accidentally knocked the working on off and ALL of the gears and innards went flying. Long story short, I had to assemble the working Sky Lynx back together gear by gear.

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    None of my G1 stuff is incomplete now because I learned my lesson. Back before the reissues... we only had Transformers that survived someones magical childhood lol. All my seekers were missing Landing gear, tail fins, missiles... etc... people don't know how much that time sucked.

Right now, the only incomplete thing I own is Lio Kaiser... i'm still missing 3 breast plates and those weapons NEVER show up anywhere. American G1 isn't that bad to complete but do yourself a favor, if you plan on collecting Japanese G1, purchase them complete. Your never going to find pieces to those rare transformers and in the end, you usually pay more than if you purchased them complete in the first place.

18. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

My brother somehow, miraculously completed up a Diaclone chrome chest Ultra Magnus/Battle Convoy. It was beautiful, and somehow almost perfectly mint. I wish we would have taken some better pics of it before it was sold. I may never see another one again.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Agreed. But even with US G1, you have this:

Some of those accessories are just killer. :mad 

20. CURAMEN

News Credits:
    My Second Fortress Maximus

I recently purchased my second Fortrss Maximus on eBay, which was missing the Radar, all Guns (big and small) and Cog, and as a part of a package deal it came with a G1 Scorponok with Lord Zarak (missing 1 arm) for $415 shipped.

I managed to sell the Scorponok bringing my total cost for Fortress Maximus down to $370.

I then acquired Cog with Gun from a fellow board member on the forum at the Junkion Exchange for $130 shipped and purchased the Large Rifle and Dual Blaster on eBay for total of $97.50 shipped.

NOTE - I had an original G1 Gun for Cerebros and an original G1 Radar that I received in a package deal from my third Fortress Maximus, which is being customized right now, that I swapped out with reproduction parts made by Darkov. I will list the story of my third Fortress Maximus on this thread once the commission is complete.

It took me almost 2 months and a total cost of $597.50 to complete this particular Fortress Maximus.

Not bad price for a 100% complete and loose Fortress Maximus that’s bone-white with excellent stickers and in great condition.

Here are some pics of Fortress Maximus and Scorponok that the seller sent me prior to ending the auction early for $415 shipped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010