Your Priorities When it comes to TF Collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Well having been dealt one of those not so bad blows to my family's finances over the last few months has now reached it's peak as to how much I'm allowed to spend on figures.

I've actually passed up just getting new Universe 2.0 Figures I've seen on the shelves that I may want for the cheaper Deluxes now due to this. At the moment I'm only going to get 3 more Universe 2.0 Figures possibly 2 if I can find them, then it's onto my top priority rebuilding my Cybertron Collection then Restoring my Metroplex.

Plus with the fact my finances available to me to use for collecting has gotten me sometimes to the point wondering why I need "Plastic Crack" [Pretty much got me depressed] now has gotten me thinking that even with a limited budget I can still collect TFs. Just now every month I have to allocate to what is the Priority to get. What's the figure that I really want to get now....

I use most of the month after I spend my budget to search out sources of Cheap Transformers [Mainly forums like this and e-bay,every now and then I get lucky there]

Anyone else been affected by the economy to where you have to prioritize?

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    little, the gf studys so I help her ot but I dont have a money problem. I just cant find what I want.

3. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I've found my collecting tends to angle more towards 'sets'... basically, I want a group that looks good together. So I tend to go for stuff that's roughly in scale with each other... Classics are wonderful, because for the most part they all look good together. I usually prefer to build on these 'sets' and figures compatible with them rather than start something wholly new. So I tend to like the Cybertron/Classics aesthetics, but have been reluctant to jump into the Animated or Beast Wars style of figure, simply because they're obviously very different.

I also seem to go for 'upgrading' my existing figs, with things like City Commander, Binaltech arming kits, etc.

If you had to stick with one thing at relatively low cost, Classics Deluxes are an excellent choice. Just keep an eye out for when they go on clearance, and get them then.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I've had little trouble getting what I want. But that's completely subjective as what I want are Classics/Universe 2.0, and for the most part- Deluxe class figs. I've yet to really want any Ultra or any of the more recent Voyagers. I now plan on getting the gestalts and much of the new wave hitting in a couple weeks. But when those come out, I just do what I've been doing. One by one and with a bit of patience. If I don't find something at a store today, I'll find it at another tomorrow. No big deal. The only things I'm buying online or from people here in the Junkion section are things not available anymore in retail. I find little point in ordering a figure from HTS and get it, what... a week or two ahead of retail? Or upcoming figures from people in China for five times the cost or more? I can stand to wait.

I'm not trying to knock the people who do buy from those sources, if you're willing and able to do it, then all to you, it's just not my thing. And really, I think Peaugh's awesome for doing so and giving us great previews of the figures.

What it comes down to though is pretty simple. My priorities aren't very hard; paying rent, filling the fridge, gassing up the car, and then whatever else, Transformers included.

I do kind of hope that not every month is going to be like November though, $250 was indeed a bit much. Hopefully I can cut down to half that this month.

5. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Well I for one am glad they're $7.77 around here at my Wal-Marts, that means I can probably fit more than one figure into my overall budget. If I didn't get figures I'd end up spending that money on comics.

I only wish the Ultras would be a bit more within what I can get now these days....some of them look pretty good.

I do like to go with sets, but usually I try to get the complete first Waves of a Series [I've gotten just about Waves 1-2 of Animated, and Wave 1 of Classics 2.0 Deluxes]

The figures I really wish I could get are the Masterpiece figures, I was glad Walmart had MP Screamer for $50 when it came out, I was going to spend $80 on ebay to get him a day before I went and found him at my Local Wal-Mart.

But at the moment, I'm stuck getting deluxes....my last round of buying bigger figures will be for a while. [At least I was able to get Unicron, and Wingblade] even though I got the 2 TFU Sets [Costco, and Sam's Club too]

I just wish I could locate more Transformers at flea markets and yardsales....I'm a Junker so I can't resist yardsales/flea markets.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I still would love to be as much of a completionist with Animated as I can (i.e. a mold representation for each character, no repaints [bar a select few]), but I've fallen way behind on that (still need Snarl, Swoop, Sentinel Prime, Ultra Magnus, Shockwave, and a ton of the upcoming stuff). So, while I plan on trying to get as much as I can, I'm leaving it to the characters I really want right now. Friend picked me up Blitzwing the other day, he was my pick out of a table full of figures I still needed (though no Shockwave :( ).

The occasional Universe figure if there is no Animated I really want/need, if it is something that interests me. Not too too much I really want from Universe out at the moment.

Outside of that, for more collector oriented things, there's certain figures I'd really like, but outside of a big thing like going to Comiccon or some such, I don't actively try for those items. And those all come down to characters I like and figures that interest me (still want Alt. Ravage [Jaguar], Masterpiece Starscream [Walmart exclusive], Masterpiece Convoy, Masterpiece Grimlock, and like Omega Supreme, Trypticon, and a couple other G1s).

7. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Space is my limiting factor. I keep my entire collection in my office at work, I don't have one transformer at home. Masterpiece and Alt/Bt got me back into collecting in 2003 and I had put together quite a large G1 collection but I have been slowly selling it off because of space. I decided to stick with Masterpiece/Alt/Bt. Once I get all the G1 stuff sold I will only have Masterpiece/Alt/BT and maybe 5 total from movie and classics line.

8. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey Tyjos,
    I don't know if this helps, but amazon has some of the ultra's for less than $10 and you get free shipping over $25.00. I know it's still $25, but I wanted to let you know just in casae...
    -mykticon

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Neh. I live on an income, but I muddle through.

10. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Plain and Simple... Buy "ALL"

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    My main priority is completing the henkei G1 line-up. Got all of them besides exclusives so far and intend to expand that collection. Furthermore, most animated are lots of fun, so I'm getting 70-80% of that line too.

The occasional masterpiece is also added, but that's about it. I'm not bending backward for vintage G1\re-issues nor do I care about previous lines.

12. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

As much as I get wowed and fascinated with all the newer lines of TF's, I still remain true to my collecting needs. I only purchase minty loose G1 figures from 1984-1986. Once I have every single release from that era, I'll think about branching out to others.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I try to keep my collection as small and exclusive as possible, for the sake of both keeping expenses low and maintaining a certain personal value to the figures I currently have. I'm also a pretty big stickler for certain characters, articulation, detail, alt. mode and proportions, which helps to dissuade me from getting most figures. However, I am very partial to certain interests, namely Optimus Prime and Henkei figures. As far as I'm concerned, it's a slippery slope, so I really try to restrain myself, especially with the latter (Painfully resisting Bumblebee, Hound, Ironhide).

My primary collection is limited to my stand-alones, MP-04 Prime and MA-21 Prime, while my Classics/Henkei's include City Commander, Prime, Sideswipe, Prowl, Sunstreaker and Mirage (who I probably shouldn't have gotten). I also have 3 animated Primes, War Within Prime and 4 Revoltechs stashed in a drawer somewhere.

MP Grimlock will make a nice addition, but I'm this close to cancelling my Henkei Cyclonus pre-order.

14. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah I've had to cut back on my spending espically this month. With christmas shopping and plus I had to fix my wheel for about 200, I haven't got some figs I wanted in the store. Also didn't order a whole bunch from bbts recently.

15. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

I have prioritized in 2008 but not really due to a money crunch (Im used to being a poor mofo! So thats not really affecting me!)

Anyway, I prioritized this year because I asked myself this question:
    Why do I collect transformers???

The answer was: I loved the G1 characters/cartoon when I was little (I was born in '82, so I was REAL little!)...

So I decided that I'll probably stop collecting Transformers when I complete my Universe/Classics/Henkei collection (minus that boring Silverbolt!).

The only other things I see myself collecting would be stuff that fits in the above collection (asthetically) that I havent yet gotten like...
    RID Railracer
    MP Megatron (just cuz I have Prime already)
    ML Soundwave
    Blades
    E. Omega Supreme
    (and maybe a movie fig or 2 is they are as cool as L. Prime and L. Brawl were)

16. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I went through a money crunch a few years back (during the RID series). I passed on getting a lot of the toys. There are far more important financial responsibilities...

However, that doesn't mean you can't still collect... And eventually collect all of them. I eventually got all the ones I passed on... Just about all of them for FAR less than shelf price. You just have to be patient and wait for someone unloading their collection... Happens all the time.

17. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually have some sort of hook up on the import stuff so I get a decent deal getting an item when it comes out, and I only get what I like which usually isn't much. I am trying to save for a wedding though so I'm taking a new approach.

And that's my new approach. Someone always sells stuff lower than MSRP so I'm going to play the wait and see game on stuff that isn't that important to me.

18. alpharon

alpharon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My priorities are to complete the MP line. I've also been grabbing up the upgrades like the City Commander set, Alt Prime Gas Tank, MP Roller, etc. for the figures that I already have in my collection. This definitely isn't the cheapest route, but it is a lot cheaper than buying everything I see off the shelf. IMO, the MP line is the best it's gonna get, so I'll remain loyal to it as long as Takara decides to keep it up.