Your preference? Color and Alt Mode of transformers (read first post)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Sep 7, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    So from reading reviews and forums it seems we all have very different preferences (which is cool, because it would suck if we are all the same!) on transformers so I pose two questions to comment (don't want to make 2 threads)

1. Transformation color preferences?

I know some prefer subdued colors, or realistic colors. It fits more with blending disguise, which is a big part of transformers. On the other hand, having lively and vibrant colors, in my opinion, gives the transformer more uniqueness and personality (and obviously failing at the blend-in part when you are say, an orange copter). So what do you prefer for coloring?

For me, there are toys like alternators and HA that I really love the realistic coloring, but in general, I prefer more vibrant colors, because they are very distinguished (imo). And as such I loved the Animated, Cybertron lines, etc.

2. Alt Mode preferences?

Some only likes realistic vehicles and grades an alt mode based on how close it is to one (the disguise part, again), and others love Cybertronian, or futuristic modes. What do you like and why?

For me, I don't mind realistic modes (like HA and Alternators), but I love futuristic mode. I mean, I know it kills the disguise parts, but many decepticons and even some autobots seems to use Alt mode as a faster way to travel, or a better suited combat form at certain situation, so I feel like sometimes its "transform to increase firepower" or "transform for evasion!" etc. That said, I really dig futuristic and fictionary modes. WFC really does it for me;

So lets share our opinions and preferences!

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

1. Transformation color preferences? - I love black, but I'm ok with any colors really. I do prefer a more realistic look though.

2. Alt Mode preferences? - I almost always pass on Cybertonian alt modes. For me they're Robots "in disguise," so if they look like bird-jets (RoTF Fallen) then they're not really in disguise. I really go for Earth mode jets and cars.

3. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

1. I prefer vibrant colors, but for the most part, realistic, duller colors aren't really a turn off.

2. I can go either way here. I believe certain characters should only have futuristic/Cybertronian alt modes, whereas for most I'm fine with either. I do prefer at least slightly unrealistic alt modes though, I think 100% realistic alt modes have very little character (this is one of the main reasons I'm not a big fan of Alternators).

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    1. any colors are fine with me so long as the color scheme works and it doesn't look like Has/Tak hired the designers for the original Tampa Bucs Uniform to plan the colors.

2. honestly i prefer non real world alt modes as it allows the design to made 100% as a transformer for me the scouts were some of the best figures in ROTF and to me its largely because they could design them from the ground up and did not have to use an existing vehicle as a base.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformation color preferences?

I like my bright and shiney robot modes for the nostalgia factor (I have very fond memories of G2) but I lean more towards more subdued tones for robot modes now.

Alt Mode preferences?

It depends. If the alt mode is Earth-based then more realistic colours appeal to me as it seems more of an effort to disguise and blend in. If it is alien or Cybertronian then anything goes.

6. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

1. What colour the character had in the show. So, next time I get Acid Storm it's time for some paint.
    2. Any. There are some I believe should ONLY have their original alien alt-modes, though, such as... BLURR, G1 GALVATRON AND G1 SCOURGE! PRIMUS DAMNIT, HASBRO!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I don't really have any preference for one particular color type. It varies on a per character, per alt mode, per series, whatever, basis. I mean, I've got Botcon Breakdown, brightass cyan and pink, I think he looks great. Then I've got Universe Stormcloud, completely black, grey, and dark purple. Also looks great.

Alt Mode Preference... again, it's not as if I only like one type of alt mode. In fact, I'd say my preference is "the more variety, the better." I like when Hasbro goes out and really experiments. Stuff like Ejector, the Ice Cream Twins, Deadlift, Ransack, Lockdown... those alt modes are really eye catching. I guess, in the broad sense, I prefer vehicles over beasts, but I do enjoy a good beast era toy too. I tend to use beast era stuff as Unicronians (such as Universe Razorclaw or Shokaract) because their creepy organic look works for that.

8. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

So 2 questions to comment upon so here is my 4 cents.

Color scheme is an interesting one to think about. I personally find that i have no real preference between more real dull colors and vibrant colors. Both can look amazing. What i find i cant stand is clashing. When a figure has colors that clash with other parts of him i think it makes the figures look garish. This is my issue with G2. I love the neon colors i just hate that many times they are clashing neon colors.

Alt modes i honestly have only one concern and that has nothing to do with cybertronian or realistic, modern, futuristic or even from the past. My main concern with alt modes is simply do they work. Is the alt mode solid with out to much visible robot kibble? Is there to much alt kibble in bot mode? Does the alt mode make the transformation confusing, overly complex, or just plain bad? I use ROTF Leader Megatron as an example. His alt mode is not screen accurate but i think it is well done still because it is an intimidating alt mode. It looks like a cybertronian tank. It has a nice transformation and holds together great.
    One other note i hate when hasbro does a cybertronian mode and they dont try. I feel movie 1 megatron is a cybertronian alt mode that is just bad. Mainly the way his legs and arms are so poorly incorporated into his alt mode and how poorly it holds together.

BTW i wanna say this was a good idea for a thread and was fun to answer the questions you posed!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

it'll be easier to tell everyone what colors I hate applied to TF toy molds.

I hate yellow,green & brown.

as far as the second question in the subject header goes. it's not really a alt mode preferrence. it's more of a size class preference. I hate legends,hate basics/scouts. I mildly like deluxes. I like my transformers toys about voyager size & bigger.

even though I hate scouts,I made a exception for the PCC combiners. because i'll keep them all in combined getalt modes. the gestalt modes will stand around voyager toy size.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    thanks havanowoncheese =) It was just something on my mind, as I sometimes find coloring very... dull on a transformer. I mean, its "real" enough, but it doesn't personalify a transformer for me. I don't need it to be rainbow color, but I think careful applications of color matching makes a great transformer. The WFC designs, for example, I really like the bright red/purple highlights.

And some bots' alt mode I really really like, especially those with some form of augmentations (weaponary, boosters, etC)

11. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

So, do you like Cybertron Optimus Prime's vehicle mode, then?

12. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like wacky, inspired color choices more than normal stuff. I think I prefer Botcon Spark to Universe Inferno and Botcon Breakdown to Universe Sideswipe. They just seem more creative. Not to say I don't appreciate regular color schemes.

But I definitely prefer realistic vehicle modes. Back during G1, I started losing interest when the vehicles went futuristic. I'm always more interested to buy a figure of a vehicle that actually exists rather than one that's just made up.

13. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    1. Transformation color preferences?
    I love white for some reason. Maybe I have come to appreciate bone-white transformer due the rarity of non-yellowed pieces within the Japanese G1s.

2. Alt Mode preferences?
    I prefer aerodynamic alt modes, regardless it being Cybertonian or realistic.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I never played the game, but I don't think flying bullet from the generations toy really captures the essence of WFC alt mode for optimus. I think there should have been more neon red lines across.

That said, I liked megatron, Soundwave, and BB's

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    #1: Black, blue, green, or silver. Mainly a cool looking figure with one or more of them is a sell for me.

#2: Beast modes, give me a organic looking wasp that transforms into a robot and I'm impress. I'll get any beast mode transformer over any vehicle transformer first. I'm even getting MP Grimlock. Not because it's a G1 Grimlock tribute, but mainly he has a beast mode.

16. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    1: I just like them to be show accurate in color.

2: I only go for bots with realistic or near realistic alt modes.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    As long as all the colors on the robot blend harmoniously, I'm good. As for altmodes, I'm fine with either Cybertronian or Earth altmodes, although I must say that a lot of the Cybertronian altmodes these days suck - they're little better than folded-up robots. At least G1 Thunderwing, for instance, actually looked like an aircraft when he transformed, even though said aircraft was alien in design.

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

For me, it all comes down to the vehicle type when I choose what colors fit best in my eyes. For example, sports cars I love in yellow, and black. As for military, Green, Tan, Grey, and other common colors you see on them. But in the end, you really can't go wrong with black, and white. The two colors can go anywhere really. Personally, I prefer the paint to look real in vehicle mode, but in robot mode, I don't mind some difference.

As for alternate modes in general, on Earth, it should look real, even since G1 they've been modeled off real cars. Something I do like, is when all variances of Earth vehicles are used, not just cars, jets, and tanks. But back on Cybertron, I love how they don't take any particular shape of vehicle. To be honest, I don't feel Cybertronian alternate modes even need to be "vehicles" or anything we're used to at least.

That's just how I feel. On Earth, colors and shape should be real, on Cybertron, anything goes.

19. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

WFC Primes figure is actually really screen accurate although not 100% but thats a shining example of what cybertronian alt modes can be as are all of the WFC figures that have been released so far.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    He said Cybertron, not War For Cybertron...