Your photography setup/editing software

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I've been liking the discussion threads here, thought I'd jump on the bandwagon! :D 

What do you guys use for pictures/editing, like what camera do you use, do you use a tripod, lighting tools (if you use them) and what editing software do you use? Basically, your comic making hardware. :D 

2. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

I use a Nikon Coolpix 5900, (5.1 Megapixels) with a 256 MG Multi-media Card,
    I use a Velbon CX 300 Tripod...and I use an editing software
    called 'Photoline'.-If anyone knows how to use Photoline please PM me, thanks. :D 

3. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a canon g1 (three megapixils!), tripod, a pink sheet that a set up the toys in front of so it's easier to cut out the background, and photoshop/gimp.

4. Thunder_Cracker

Thunder_Cracker Friendship is Evil!!

Canon PowerShot S45,4.0 mega pixels, no tripod :(  I use 2-3 books to station the camera for close up shots or just hold it up with my hand and such for angled shots :p 
    I use Photoshop CS3 and sometimes Adobe Illustrator CS3 for some fun, will be using it later on for some vector images
    Only light in my room comes from a crappily placed window :lol  or my room bulb light at night shootings

5. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't use a tripod or lighting. I use MS Paint to resize my images and then GIMP if I want to add effects. Which are usually just eye glows or gun blasts.

I think my camera is a Panasonic DMC-LZ8.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Great thread Sage! I dig the discussion threads too.

I'm really low-tech...

My camera is a Sanyo...not sure what model. It's not garbage but it's not a super nice one either. I use Macro settings on the camera with no flash.
    I do use a tripod...no special lighting stuff, I just turn on all the lights in my kitchen and living room lol.

I mainly just use MS Paint to add in the dialogue but every once in awhile if I want to add in some little effects here and there I use MGI Photosuite SE and I'm starting to use a little bit of GIMP.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Well, I've been practicing making a comic in preparation for a serious attempt at one, so here's what I've been using so far:

Camera:
    Sony Cybershot DSC-W50, 6.0 megapixels -- got it for Christmas back in 2006

Don't have a tripod for it, I've been pretty good at keeping my hands and arms steady enough to take decent pictures. Though it might not hurt for me to find one.

Software:
    Originally was going to use Photoshop CS3 to make comics, but I recently purchased Comic Life Deluxe Edition, which I'm still experimenting with. Might use Photoshop to add effects, if any, to my pictures before formatting them into a comic using Comic Life.

Pretty much, that's it.

8. Draeck

Draeck Tanks can bounce

Yay! Discussion thread! We need more of these :D 

Ahem.. the camera I use is a Pentax K10D (10,2 megapixel) and it's actually my dad's camera..

Right now I always use the external flash thing on top of the camera, it makes the pics look much much better than without. Nothing else in the lighting department.. I just do all the camerawork when the sun is shining so I don't have to worry about it. If the pictures still get dark I edit them..

I do have a little tripod but I never use it.. I usually just go through hours and hours of sitting still trying to get good pictures, usually I have like 400-500 shots for one episode and often have to delete half of it because its useless... It would probably be easier to use a tripod, or learn to wait until the flash is ready, but its just the way I do it...

I use Photoshop CS2, thinking about trying out GIMP but I'm pretty busy with making fx in photoshop.. and also a bit too lazy to try it out :rolleyes: 

Mah camera:
    [​IMG]

9. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

Kodak Easyshare z712 IS, 4 GB memory card, sandisk, Dollar tree mini tripod

Photo Explosion for FX, MS paint for text.

10. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Ah am using a pretty old FX12 Point and shoot camara from panasonic and nothing else.
    editing is done via Photoshop 7.

11. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Ah am using a pretty old FX12 Point and shoot camara from panasonic and nothing else.
    editing is done via Photoshop 7.

12. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use a Kodak EasyShare C813 (8.1 megapixels), a tripod from Wal-Mart, and Photoshop Elements 2.0.

13. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

Olympus C-60 zoom

and i'm cheap so i use photoscape for editing.

14. Mini-Bot

Mini-Bot Blackout Fan Girl

I alternate between two cameras: The Canon Rebel XTi and the Rebel T1i. To edit and put together the comic I use a combination of Comic Life Deluxe and Photoshop.

15. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    I've got a HP Photosmart M527 6 megapixel camera I use with a table-top tripod. I usually use the macro setting, and always set the ISO to 100.

For indoor shoots, I usually set up in my hallway, where it's nice and light (that's why I use sets--same location, different looking environment). I bring in some lamps for extra light if needed.

For outdoor shots, I try not to shoot in direct sunlight, as it washes images out and I'm too lazy to play with the white balance settings :p 

Regardless of indoor or outdoor, I shoot everything twice--once with a flash, once without. Since my camera is set up along a different angle than the main natural light source, I get two very different looking images.

I use photoshop 7.0 for editing. I blend my two images together, usually setting the flash layer to 60-80% opacity with a lighten filter. This gets rid of dark spots and enriches the picture IMO, while still retaining natural shadowing.

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Camera: Formerly a sucky Kodak EasyShare camera. Now I use a Cannon PowerShot A2000 IS, and I freaking LOVE my Cannon! The Cannon outperforms the Kodak in every possible way (it came standard with an Image Stabilizer, which really keeps my pcs much sharper than before!) and the quality of my comic pictures drasticaly improved the MOMENT I started using it! Tripod wise, I rarely use it, but I have this ajustable tripod that screws into the bottom of the PowerShot via a hole which seems to be good for nothing else.

Photo Editing Program: Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 ("The Poor Man's Photoshop"). Bought for family photos, it got frogoten until I started into photocomics, at which point it became my personal software. It's more or less a watered down Photoshop, as it's missing a significant amount of Photoshop tools (like the quick selection tool), but the most basic tools (healing brush, blur filters, etc.) are still there. It's also got a photo uploader built-in the software, so I just have to plug the camera in and it automaticaly downloads my photos. I'd get the real Photoshop, but the price tag is still out of my league, so I make do with what I've got (which is enough for moderatley good effects).

Backdrop: Since my comic is essentialy "Toy's Life with giant robots and sexy Japanese female androids", my house is the backdrop for nearly everything that happens. However, if I need a "set", like when I needed to take pics of characters in a secret Canadian fortress, I simply set up 3 white foamboard walls that meet in a corner to simulate somewhere that's not my house.

17. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I use a Casio Exillim EX-Z75 as my camera, though I've been eyeballing a nice new Canon. As a set, most of my stuff is done in my room, though I use other locations when I need to. My main base is a well-lit section of my bunkbed that is cleared off and set aside for that purpose. For editing, I use Photoshop. I used to use Photoshop 5.5, then I upgraded to 7, then CS2, now I use CS4.

18. star11scream

star11scream Spoon + Star11scream

Which is better
    ........Photoshop CS4 or GIMP

19. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

(IMO, CS4 is better)

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I've more experience using Photoshop CS3/CS4 than GIMP. I tried GIMP, but wasn't able to master it. So I'd go with Photoshop.