Your Opinions on Movie Series Ironhide and Blackout

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Matt Starr, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Hey guys and gals,

My Wal-Mart has received a huge shipment of Premium Series Ironhide and Premium Series Blackout and I wanted your opinions on them, especially in terms of playability and klunkiness.

Now I don't play with Transformers anymore per se, but I do like to transform them and pose them on my desk. I really only like Transformers that are very poseable and uncluttered. Universe Prowl and Rodimus are good examples of this to me. So:

1) Ironhide: Is he cluttered or klunky to you, as I've heard some people report?

2) Blackout: Ok I will own up to it--I got the original one when he came out, and the first time I tried to transform him back into his Pave Low form I broke one of the little tabs that keeps his shoulders in place. Plus the whole time I was trying to transform him, his automorph was trying to do something but I have no idea on God's green earth WHAT, since the d*mn instructions didn't tell me where the automorph would occur. So I think I messed that up too.

So his shoulders were loose because of the broken tab, and his automorph was shot too. I was very disappointed in both of us. So anyway, does anyone think he is worth buying again, and when I transform him this time, treating him like a delicate flower?

Thanks, Matt

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ironhide is one of the better movie voyagers, if not the best. His transformation is pretty tricky, but well worth the effort as he's fantastic in both modes.

Blackout, on the other hand, is a terrible toy. The automorph is a complete and utter failure, either leaving his head angled down or his cockpit completely out of whack. The shoulder tabs are horribly designed and almost guaranteed to break under normal usage. And, to top it off, the activation peg for his rotor gimmick hangs lower than his feet in bot mode, leaving him perpetually off balance. Horrible, horrible toy.

3. Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy Stealth Ops Commander

Ebay:
    i like the use of the automorph function for ironhide's legs/feet, its really cool. i agree with switchblade, blackout isn't that great, i got rid of mine but i kept my ironhide's (repainted one red).

4. BHB

BHB Well-Known Member

I never got Ironhide because I think he looks like crap. The premium is actually worse IMO because he's much less movie accurate with the frosted windows and silver autobot logo and roof. The only better looking thing about it is that he's shinier.

Blackout is pretty crappy but he was my second TF and his character was cool in the movie so I have a soft spot for him. Plus I didn't know any better when I got him. I wouldn't reccomend you getting another, especially not the worse-looking premium figure.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with his automorph but the shoulder pegs don't fit in place at all. He's awful as a toy to play with but can look cool on a shelf as I have mine. At least he looks much better than the premium IMO.

5. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blackout is crap, and Ironhide can quickly turn into a jumbled mess if you don't know what you're doing.

All I'll say is, if you're gonna transform your bots when you're utterly hammered, don't choose Ironhide.

6. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Well, I think they're both good toys. Ironhide is tricky to transform back to truck mode, but a nice truck it is. I personally think he looks a little lean in bot mode though, and although his articulation is above average, I find it a bit tight and limited.

Blackout has a very cool vehicle mode. The tabs have never broken for me yet, although they do have slight stress marks. I can see where that would be a problem. And his automorph is crap, but all that aside, he has a fun transformation. In robot mode, he is tiny height-wise compared to other voyagers, but he is nicely posable and looks awesome on display.

So I'd recommend both.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Toywise: Ironhide > Blackout
    Paint scheme: Blackout > Ironhide (IMO)

8. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

Ironhide is way better than Blackout

9. Bjjer

Bjjer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just picked up both, transformed them and left Ironhide in robot mode and left Blackout in alternate mode. Ironhide is the best movie voyager IMO and I love his new premium paint, even if its not movie accurate. Blackout sucks as a fiddle with toy but looks awesome with his new paint also. Play with Ironhide and pick a mode you like best for Blackout and leave him alone.

10. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Going by Premium paint schemes, I think Ironhide is more of an improvement. IMO, I think the originals are better, but Blackout is worse, I don't dig the brown.

11. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Blackout's a decent mold, but I'd rather perfer Ironhide. He's just a lot more fun, and I think the Premium version is the best of them all.

12. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ironhide is way better than Blackout, even though I do have a soft spot for the Decepticon.
    Ironhide suffers from lack of paint apps, escpecially his face, but his is definitely the better figure and is a sweet TF in general.

13. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback you all for have been giving me.

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like I might have to go pick up that Ironhide, while Blackout appears to be a lost cause. :( 

That sucks....it's a shame Hasbro didn't give Transformers fans, young and young at heart, a solid version of Blackout that is playable, poseable, and durable.

And for that matter, I'm also bummed that they didn't do a voyager or leader version of Bonecrusher that also actually was movie-accurate in appearance.

Ahem, enough complaining, I got Barricade today for $7.77 and I love him! :) 

14. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Blackout mold is not so bad, he looks cool specially when you take off the rotor and display him with it, but Ironhide is definitively a better mold by far.

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Blackout is a good mold, with a few annoying qualities (shoulders), but I'm with the majority on Ironhide. He is, IMO, one of if not the best voyagers of the line (with Starscream second) He's very posable and looks great in both modes.

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I love them both, but as people have said Blackout definatly has more flaws than Ironhide.

17. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Ironhide was always my favorite Voyager and I have to agree with everything that's been said about Blackout. Besides the nitpicky complaints of being too small, his automorph is a disaster. Impossible to keep it aligned and working as it should. He's very disappointing.

Though I have to say they messed up Ironhide a bit on the premium version. The Autobot emblem on the hood and the tan gears at his tailgate ruin it. Would've been perfect otherwise but, geez, they couldn't leave well enough alone.

18. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Ironhide is a really cool toy, but I was expecting a little bit more, it is very tricky and the back part keeps falling off, now, l have evac (which is a retooled version of blackout) and the guy is freakin' amazing, although the waist tabs are a little loose, it is a very good toy.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ironhide is really cool. Blackout's okay, though.

20. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Ironhide imo is the best of the Voyager line and great to play with/pose! Blackout is...well he looks neat. However every time I've tried to fiddle with him in bot mode his damn dirty waist buckles. I agree with Bjjer, play with Ironhide. Play the hell out of him. Leave Blackout on the shelf, in a decent pose, permanently! Unless flying him around your house in alt mode suits you and then that would be okay too I guess.