Your opinions about BM Thrust and BW Scorponok

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by unafraid, Jan 18, 2006.

1. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    For those who have/had these 2 toys, what are your opinions? Are they worth it?

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Oh Yessssss

Thrust and his clone are pretty cool. You can pull off a few custom modes with them besides the main ones.
    BW Scorpy is a must have for any BW fan. Great fig for a cool show character. His bee launcher can be a little touchy though.
    They should be pretty cheap if you find them. Well maybe not Scorponok. He can be hard to find for a good price.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't say I like Thrust much at all. If you like to play around and find new modes for a toy, it's interesting. If you want something that looks anything like the show and can stand up, the cycle drone outclasses it in almost every way.

Scorpy is an OK toy, about par for the course in the world of the first or the first generation of BW toys. Mine always had loosish leg joints, and difficulty standing because of it. The cyberbee-claw is cool, though often a bitch to reset.

4. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

I only have Scorpinok. He's really good, in robot mode his missiles and cyber bey gimmick are fun, he has a bad ass colour scheme and really generous amounts of articulation. Also the detail on him is great.
    In beast mode his 4 red legs are useless however his claws and stingy tail work really well in this mode. He is able to whiplash his tail without stinging his own head (unlike other scorpion toys).

Overall I would get this figure if I didn't have him.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BM Thrust - Neat, but nothing spectacular. As mentioned, there are a few alternate vehicle forms possible and the figure can be manipulated to roll along on one wheels like the show character (can't stand independently in that position, though). Like Jetstorm and Tankor, doesn't look very much like the animation model. The "Motorcycle Drone" is a better representation of the animated character, but that toy seems to be rarer and usually a lot more expensive.

BW Scorponok - Overall, pretty cool but there's a few things that don't work all that well. The beast mode looks great and the stinger functions quite well. Like most of the insect BW figures, though, the legs are mostly for show and the scorpion just sits on its belly. Transformation is interesting and has some little tricks, but it follows the usual 'scorpion claws become arms' seen on a lot of scorpion TFs. Robot mode looks pretty close to the animation model, even with the 'mutant head' and generally stands up fairly well inspite of the weight on the back. The backpack could peg a little tighter into the back of the chestplate though and the figure will sometimes collapse when handled with moderate force. Stinger gimmick works fine in robot mode as well and the missile launcher gets great distance. The cyberbee gimmick gets points for trying, but isn't that useful. The drone only fires about six inches (on a good day) and getting the bee locked back onto the launcher after firing can be a bit frustrating. That aside, Scorponok's a good toy and worth getting if you can find one.

6. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I'd pass on Thrust. He's a floppy mess, looks very little like the show character, and I just never found him to be very fun. Cycle Drone is a MUCH better toy in all aspects.

BW Scorponok, though... get get get! His only problems are the already mentioned minor pegging issue and that the cyber-bee is hard to reset intot eh claw properly. Otherwise he's a fantastic figure with nice details, good poseability, and a nice color scheme.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thrust - Ok.. Pass on him and get the basic Cycle Drone. Far better figure. the Dlx Thrust is floppy and just plain mediocre at best.

BW Scorpy - Not too bad. Decent figure. The cyber bee claw is way too sensitive. It flys off a lot if you look at it. Still a cool figure. I recommend him a bit. Nothing must have like TM Rattrap or Ultra Primal, but still good.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Never had any problems with my Scorponok's Cyber Bee. I find the trick is to push the bee on, then push forward on the launcher catch (opposite direction to the way you push it to fire). It'll click down ever so slightly and grip that little bit better. When pushing it on it seems it doesn't go all the way down without a little help.
    Thrust is another nice toy. I found him to be pretty fun and unique. Odd shape in robot mode, but he's suitably different. There aren't many robots like him in Transformers.

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I wonder if there are plans to reissue BW Scorpy for the 10th anniversary...

10. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    As others have mentioned Thrust is Ok, not great, but I actually kinda of like him, however like others have mentioned his smaller Motorcycle drone counterpart is much more fun to mess around with.

Beast Wars Scorponok is a great toy, overall there’s really not much I don’t like about this toy and he has several very good repaints of him. I will say though is that he can be kind of floppy but I find this really varies from toy to toy. For example I had the Japanese version of him and he was very nice no Cyberbee or floppiness issues at all but on the other hand I had the Hasbro one as well and was just a floppy mess.

But ya with Thrust I would say is he not a real priority, but might be worth buying a cheap one if you can find one, or the Motorcycle drone if you can grab it. With Scorponok I would say he’s a must have BW toy if you like BW and can defiantly recommend him.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I just barely got Thrust, and I like it. The shoulders are pretty strange but it's still pretty cool nonetheless...I like the head sculpt it actually looks like a skull to me..I wouldn't pay a lot for it, I got mine for $9 and wouldn't have paid any more

12. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Never had Scorpy, and I'm not really interested in him. Goofy character and the toy doesn't look all that good to me.

BM Thrust is a good figure. Okay, he doesn't look like the show, but like all the Vehicons there's a unique asethetic about his design that I enjoy. Humanoid but not proportionally like a human. Several different ways to transform him. The little jaw that lets you open and close his mouth is fun. Chrome!!

I like him. I'm enthusiastic about him. Go get him. :thumb 

13. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    A little "Thrust in the shadows" pic. Fun with light piping. :D 

[​IMG]

14. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    Are the legs poseable for Thrust?

15. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I liked Thrust when he first came out, but then I hadn't much to compare him too. I jumped into collecting just before BM began, and had missed many of the better deluxe BW toys.

After moving to my new home I got to dig through all my stored toys, and pulled Thrust out. I was disappointed. Things that didn't bother me much then (the floppy feet) would bug the hell out of me now. If you like the character, get the Cycle Drone, as it is a better likeness and better toy. If you like the look of this figure, he's not without his good points, but don't pay more than $15 for him.

Scorponok I got last year. He was the last of the TV-BW molds I was missing, and I'd always had a thing for scorpion toys. Again I was disappoined. The bee-gimmick is too sensitive, and the figure itself not all that impressive. Mediocre by today's standards, but maybe he just needs a good retooling and repaing. Don't avoid him, but I wouldn't go for more than $25 if possible.

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
  17. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Yeah, but the "feet" are annoying as hell. They just flip out from under the wheels... which are still free moving and turn around on you if you just look at them. This of course turns the "feet" in all directions throwing balance off... basically, if you find a stance that'll have him stand NEVER EVER PICK HIM UP OR MOVE HIM!

Hey SWC... how the hell did you transform my beloved Cycle Drone? That looks even worse and more wrong than the picture on the back of his card!? :stick: 

18. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    His feet do spin far too easily. He's not really one for stable action poses, though a few are possible. His hips are on ball joints, but the arm connector that sits out to his sides inhibits some of the movement.

He's certainly got his flaws, but he still appeals to me. I'd agree with some others though, don't pay a ton for him.

And the cycle drone is the better of the two toys in many respects.