Your opinion on modern versions of classic characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Grand-Convoy, Oct 2, 2011.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I personally think they are name-slaps.

If you want updated versions of their original selves, go seek IDW's Transformers ongoing.

This.

2. deoxys

deoxys Pokémon fan

Optimus is a really great character in the movies. I like his 'show no mercy' attitude.

Another character I like was Sentinel. Damn he was awesome in DOTM.

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

well all Transformers are name-slaps one way or they other.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    The Movieverse is a far cry from modern.

I might give you Bumblebee but that's pushing it.

5. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

Que is called Wheeljack in the credits. Well they are modern versions because the characters have similar traits: (e.g)
    G1 Prime was a hero.
    Movie Prime was a hero who had to be bad to be good.

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

the credits arent "in continuity"

7. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

T_T
    Wheeljack.

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

If you're going to ignore the credits, then just go with "Quentin Tarantino's Dark of the Moon, starring Samuel L. Jackson as Epps and Bruce Willis as Lennox, with Robert Downey Jr. as Sam".

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

not in the film:thumbs2: 

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thats a very poor argument.

Its not an issue of ignoring, it just that credits are not in continuity, they arent part of the story.

Not to mention that some times the credits have different names for characters then were given in the film.

11. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Thing is, your is poor too.

The credits are put there to indentify the characters, if the characters are indentified in the credits in one way, and there's enough evidence to support that they are that character [like the ridiculously large amount of external material crediting him as Wheeljack and the credits itself], they may be called that way.

If you think the credits are not in continuity, then give me a proof that Michael Bay is the director of this film.

He is listed as Wheeljack/Que, which means that BOTH are right.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The thing is....its not.

What is in continuity is whats said and done within the narrative of the story.Its a relevent point when talking about a continuing series.

Credits are put so as to acknowledge the production teams.

Do you understand what the term "in continuity" means?

It means from within the story, in universe.....is a term that means your viewing the events from within.

In continuity, in universe, there is no film.

that list is in the credits.

The credits arent part of the story.

The only name used in the story is Que.

13. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

You appear to be looking for something to argue about. Strange. :/

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

nahhhh, just pointing out a fact for fun:thumbs2: 

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    True that.

There's only 1 way to settle this:

since DOTM is on DVD now, someone can grab some content of Que being called Wheeljack by the other characters and YOUTUBE it so that we can all hear it.

Facts suck;

what gets me is how everyone who is quick to point out that the movies aren't G1 are just as quick to say how the characters ARE G1.

16. badbotsarehot

badbotsarehot Aerialbot/Seeker

aaaanyways... :rolleyes2  here's my opinion on the characters. sorry if it sounds repetitive but i do agree with a lot of other people

Optimus: can't hate on him cause i was introduced to the movies first before any of the TV shows. even so, I find you can't beat the original G1 version, it's just...it's him lol. but movieverse is prolly my #2 then, followed by TFP
    Ironhide: pretty damn awesome, although I really do love G1's voice with that kinda accent
    Ratchet: could care less. don't like him in any generation/version
    Jazz: he had like 10 min of screen time, can't really say! design was cool i guess
    Bumblebee: he was ok. i didn't mind the radio-voice, i always thought it was clever. and some of his moments with Sam were really touching.
    Sideswipe: my favourite version BY FAR. i never really cared for him in G1, nor when I first saw ROTF, but he's definetly grown on me and now he's one of my favourites!
    Mirage: pretty cool! would've liked the cloak though too
    WheeljaQ: disgusting. i hated his design. that was NOT Wheeljack to me, despite what the credits say.
    Arcee/Triplets: "WTF to that" :lol 
    Jetfire: haaaated him too. MUCH prefer G1/WFC version
    Wheelie & Brains: much better in DOTM; Brains was AWESOME; 100x better than the Twins

Megatron: he was great in movies 1 + 2, and then just sucked ass in DOTM. never really got accustomed to the head design; much preferred the G1 style. favourite version is probably Animated or Prime, followed by G1
    Starscream: again, never could get accustomed to the design. i'm ok with the head design now, but still hate the body. personality-wise, he was ok but not great. i will always love Animated, Armada & Prime Starscreams more.
    Soundwave: just PURE awesome. LOOOOOVED his new design for DOTM. didn't care that he was "chatty," i could listen to him talk all day lol, even if it is just Dr Claw :tongue: 
    Laserbeak, Ravage, Frenzy: respectively - amazing badass, pretty cool, crap.
    Shockwave: my favourite version BY FAR. he puts the G1 purple shithead to shame!! awesome design, sadly not enough spoken lines
    Sentinel Prime: even though TFA was a douchebag, i did enjoy the history he had with Optimus. that being said, DOTM version is the best there will EVER be. i mean, Leonard Nimoy, enough said :cool: 
    Devastator: again, WTF to that! absolutely hated it. yes, i would've watched a purple-and-green version and totally bought into it. :lol 
    The Fallen: didn't mind him. he seemed cool.

17. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime- Thank you for getting Peter Cullen, but Prime stopped being the established Optimus after movie one. No compassion, spits one liners during fights, doesn't even mention Ironhides death. The closest we get to seeing the established Prime is at the end of DOTM when he seems to look at Megatron and Sentinel dead, look down, and throw the shotgun down in seeming disgust and relief, as if to say 'it's over.'

One of my favorite Prime designs, but his character is a far cry from what Primes have been.

Bumblebee- Can't stand Rambobee. In the first movie, he was cool. After that, he's too overpowered and badass. He NEVER takes any damage in the sequels. He's never in any peril. I miss quirky, courageous resourceful Bee. What we get is more Hot Rod than Bumblebee... Almost makes me wonder why they didn't just make him Hot Shot. Would have been much more fitting.

Ironhide- My favorite movie bot. Didn't have the accent, but he was a lot like G1 Ironhide, tough as nails, kickass , and Primes right hand. Could have used more lines and character, but overall they did good with him.

Ratchet- He did nothing in 3 movies. If you weren't going to give him lines, at least have him repairing or fixing things to show he's a medic.

Que - Meh. Was pointless, and he was not Wheeljack. Aside from being an inventor, he has nothing in common with any Wheeljack aside from being blue.

Sideswipe- Badass... thought they should have touched on his being mentored by Ironhide more. Wasted character for sure.

Arcee- Should have kept the one bike design -- It damn sure didn't translate into better toys.

Wheelie- Wheelie trap is the man. Love the voice and the fact that he's pretty openly an asshole.

Jetfire- Was cool. Liked the voice and depiction, and he went out noble.

Jazz- At least they made him go out like a soldier. He could have been good in future movies.. would have preferred they killed off Ratchet for what they did with his character. Jazz could have been alot more involved in sequels.

Megatron- Movie one Megs was a beast. Movie 2 Megs was ok... at least he has his ruthless moment when he kills Prime, and he survives a shot to the dome. Him crying for Starscream was greatness. They didn't let him kill enough tho. Seeing him bow to the Fallen was just disgusting and the beginning of Megs decline.

DOTM Megs was Starscream. Which is wrong on so many levels. Seeing him get bitched continuously and sitting on the sidelines looking so emo just pissed me off. And I'm a Screamer fan who would love to see him beat Megs. Honestly, his portrayal here makes you wonder how he ever was the Lord High Protector... he's no more than a lackey and a weak one at that.

Starscream- Never showed any backstab moves, which given the state of affairs in the movie verse, was pathetic. They had SO MANY chances to show this CRUCIAL part of his character, but instead they made him Igor.

Igor - Seriously, this was just a stupid waste of CGI, he added absolutely nothing to the movie. At all. I could smack whoever suggested he play any role in the movie... you could have spent that money elsewhere much better.

Soundwave- Not a bad portrayal, tho seeing him die in such a weak way was disappointing. I hate Bumblebee even more for this because Soundwave was used to give Bee his badass moment. But his overall portrayal was excellent.

Shockwave- So much wasted potential. Totally pissed at the total nothing they did with him. He kills nothing, says nothing, he only looked like Shockwave. Would have rather they just created someone to fill this role instead of me getting pumped for him and then him doing nothing.

Devastator- Another CGI waster.

Laserbeak- Best Con of the trilogy. He was actually competent, evil, and deceptive.

The Fallen- A total bitch.

Sentinel Prime- Well written. Really was pleased with what they did with him.

Mirage/Dino - Did and said virtually nothing.

The Twins - Offensive and all, I LIKED THEM. They were assholes. Nice to see some unlikeable and offensive Bots. Not all the good guys are always good guys.

the Driller - I fucking hated this thing. I think of all the extra shit they could have did with the budget for this piece of shit. It didn't even die cool.

the Wreckers - Were decent. Liked them. They took the Twins asshole spots, and had cool alt modes.

Barricade - Loved him in movie one - that's the only character he has. At least they let him hold Bee hostage in DOTM.

Frenzy - Proof the little Cons were needed. He had so much spunk and kickassness. He even died funny.

Every other Con - had no character to speak of. Just a few lines here and there would have been good but NOOOOO canon fodder doesn't need any character I guess.

18. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

Agreed.

You can't have a character called one name consistently in a movie, or even once, and then believe the character has a different or additional name just because it's listed as such in the credits.

If Que really was Wheeljack, then he should've been called Wheeljack in the movie and not Que.

It's probably done in the credits just to appeal to the fans - they had a character "like" Wheeljack, they knew the fans would be looking for and/or wanting "Wheeljack," but for whatever reason they didn't or couldn't give it the name, so they called him something else in the movie and just had it in the credits. Maybe - I dunno.

I barely recognized this Que/Wheeljack character as it was. Made no impact on me and I can barely remember it after having seen the movie just once in the theater.

19. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Totally. Same goes for Megatron. He, along with TF: Prime's Megatron, are my favorite ever. Also, I love how characters like Bumblebee are cool for the first time in history.

The only character that I think they kind of fucked up completely was Shockwave. That was one character that they really shouldn't have made into an "unstoppable killing machine" type character. He is all about logic, which is the exact opposite of how they made him. He could have been the big bad for TF4, and is one of the only villains that could have been as interesting as Sentinel or Megatron for a 4th movie. Now pretty much the only option they have left is Galvatron, which is cool, but Shockwave is the type of villain that could have had a whole movie to himself, and would have been an excellent change of pace from the more aggressive villains if they had done him right.

Also, when the hell is Ratchet going to do doctory stuff?! He was good in terms of character and design, but didn't do enough, when there were tons of opportunities.