Your opinion on modern versions of classic characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Grand-Convoy, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

In the movies, the main characters were 'updated' versions of their original selves. What is your opinion of the 'Modern' Optimus/Wheeljack/Starscream/Mirage and the like?

2. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

Are you asking as in Design or character? :) 

3. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

Character sorry. :L

4. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

LOL Thats Ok:) , Thats What I Thought You Meant, Just Wanted to Make Sure :thumbs2: 

I Love Optimus Don't see Any real Difference between This Version and G1:tongue: 
    I really Loved All of there versions in the Movie, The Only thing is, I wish I could
    have Seen Mirage Use His Cloaking device,
    and Ratchet use his Medical skills, Besides That I love them All,
    I'm Glad They Made Bumblebee not talk To Me Thats an Improvement,
    I think they did really well at Keeping their Characters similar to their Original selves
    :D  Just My Opinion

5. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Movie Optimus is the best rendition of him I've seen yet; he actually gets things done, and especially in Dark of the Moon, you feel horrible for him.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I believe people already know what I feel about Movie Optimus, so I won't repeat my thoughts here.

Movie Bumblebee being Rambo is meh. The whole point of Bumblebee is that he's not supposed to be the strongest or most skilled Autobot, but he's diligent, sincere, courageous and good at what he does (espionage).

The Movie-verse Decepticons are a bunch of inept losers.

7. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

Movie prime doesn't match his G1 legend. I mean, what the hell with the pissing off and sulking in truck mode? Come on...

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime- I'm sorry to everyone and Peter Cullen but man Bayformer Prime is a jerk. I just don't like the whole ''Give me or Face/We will kill them all!" attitude he is now depicted as, he was a lot better in the first movie.

Bumblebee- I hate Bumblebee, he is overrated, and i hate the mute thing now. Thanks to him Prime BB suffers miserably as a result.

Ironhide- Badass, Sadly didn't care when he died. It pissed me off his death is never mentioned again.

Ratchet- A.k.a Mr Useless.

Wheeljack- Not Wheeljack....Que.

Sideswipe- Is a badass but doesn't do anything important.

Arcee- Why Bay Why? :banghead: 

Wheelie- Is more likeable than G1 i can say that for sure.

Jetfire- Is epic. Better than G1. The GLORIOUS JETFIRE!!

Jazz- Poor Jazz. :( 

Megatron- He really suffers from villain decay....litterally. After the first movie he comes back to just be upstaged by The Fallen and Sentinel. I just hated the way he died in DOTM, it was a cheap shot.

Starscream- G1 Starscream (Cowardly) - Treachery = Suckiness.

Soundwave- Actually cool.

Shockwave- Poor Shockwave.....The biggest waste of charecter ever in a Bayformer franchise goes to him. Instead of beign the main villain he shows up for a few minutes, has teh Boba Fett silence treatment and dies a pitiful death.

Devastator- A Waste of CGI.

Laserbeak- Total Badass.

The Fallen- Sucks.

Sentinel Prime- The only Bayformer charecter who is actually well written.

9. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

I didn't really see much character presentation or development in the movies or over the course of the movies.

The bots were just there to kill and be killed.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I like 'em all.

11. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

'Bots:

Optimus Prime - One of my favorites, the Optimus who is willing to get SHIT DONE here, this man is not kidding around, he will stop the Decepticons. NO MATTER THE COST.

Bumblebee - Very Annoying at times, but then again, he was annoying in G1 too.
    To his credit though, he has some very heartwearming and truly sad moments ["We gave 'hem one hell of a run!", "Goodbye my old friend" being prime examples].

Jazz - Pretty damn cool, like G1 But better.

Ironhide - The true Ironhide, no other Ironhide can match his badassery or courage.

Ratchet - One of my favorites, a good update of his G1 personality [though still inferior to Prime-Ratchet], really got the educated and calm medic personality well.

Wheelie - Funnier than his G1-counterpart could ever hope to be.

Arcee Sisters and Jolt - Never had any characterziation. Bummer.

Sideswipe - Wipes the floor with all past incarnations of him combined without breaking a sweat. Damn, he's good.

The Twins - Good characters, but overused.

[Behold the eternal glory of] Jetfire - BEST. CHARACTER. EVAH. G1-Jetfire was the Captain McBland, he sucked. ROTF-Jetfire is the loveable Large Ham badass Grandpa who turns in a Blackbird, this dude is AWESOME.
    Sadly, he died too soon. Bummer.

WheeljaQ [considering he is Wheeljack] - I loved him, a charimatic wacky scientist like no other, also felt really sad for him.

Dino/Mirage - A little generic, but good.

Topspin - Never had any characterization, so..
    Leadfoot - THIS MAN KICKS ASS. My second favorite character of the movie-verse [second only to JETFIRAAAH], the other Leadfoots can't even HOPE to be as awesome as him.
    Roadbuster - Inferior compared to his original personality, but still cool.

'Cons:

Megatron - One of the most vicious Megatrons to date, his sheer brutality will forever be remembered, and for that he is one of my favorite Megatrons [second to Prime-Megs and matched with Animated-Megs].

Starscream - Had his pros and cons, he was pretty indentical to his G1-self, only being slightly smarter [y'know, flat-out mouthing off Megatron on his face isn't the smartest thing to do].

Soundwave - GOD DAMN'IT, I love him! They made him such a Magnificent Eldritch Abommination here, cruel, sadistic and truly inhuman from the moment we meet him. Badass.

Barricade - One of my favorites, took a toy-only character without any personality and made him a badass, no-nonsense wrathful thug to the Decepticon cause.

Blackout - Ditto for Barricade: Now a heartless monster who lives only to serve Megatron.

Bonecrusher - Amusing as hell, given the character was pretty much nothign before, I'd say this was for good.

The Fallen - Cool voice, cool backstory, cool powers, cool personality.
    Died too soon though, but I definitely think he was an improvement [Tony Todd..just...TONY TODD].

Laserbeak - Best incarnation of the character to ever be seen.

Frenzy - Same thing of Laserbeak.

Ravage - Nothing more than Soundwave's lap cat so...meh.

Scorponok - Same thing for Ravage.

Sentinel Prime - A generic dead mentor in G1, a complex Well-Intentioed Extremist who is always on the grey side of the morality: Never truly wrong, but never truly right either, an anti-hero of the finest sort on the movie-verse. Voiced by Leonard Nimoy.
    Any questions on who is better?

Crankcase - PREDATOR, Predator! Predator predator predator, indeed, PREDATOR! What makes this character awesome is PREDATOR, he is just PREDATOR, which means PREDATOR, thus, superior to all of his previous incarnations: None of them were PREDATOR. PREDAAAAATOOOR.

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope future versions of Transformers do Ironhide more like the movieverse and less like G1.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's a mixed bag for me.

Some updates worked out really well like Ironhide going for a new alt mode that matched his personality better. Hugo Weaving was able to bring some interesting things to Megatron back before he became the easy to beat and second string to other villains character. Jazz looked to have some real potential so it's sad he got short changed in screen time.

Some updates, ouch I really wish some of the updates could be buried out in the desert somewhere. Starscream just didn't work for me at all as Starscream. I'm so tired of Bumblebee.

Nothing I really want to keep about any of the characters from the films though because it seems like there is always some series with a better example of the character than there was in the movie. If the movie verse just faded away I can't say we'd have lost anything of any importance.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

A] they werent "updated versions of their original characters"
    they were re-interpretations

B]there was no characters named Wheeljack and Mirage in the narrative of these films:wink: 

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Optimus- Not much to say,I love him,and I really felt sorry for him in DOTM
    Sentinel- Loved the character. Had a good twist and he was certainly better than Dickimus Prime from Animated
    Ironhide- Most badass Autobot after the two Primes. He is the king of one-liners
    Bumblebee- F*ck him
    Ratchet- Didn't do enough,but I liked him
    Jazz- Died a hero. I was ok with him. Didn't like him as second in command though
    Sideswipe- BADASS. F*ck BB,THIS is the badass car autobot
    Jolt- Excellent design,weapons,he saved the world,but he had no lines :( 
    Arcees- Hate the designs,they were forgetable. The only thing I liked about them is that Elita gave Screamer a kill
    Twins- They were hit and miss. They would have had a GLORIOUS role in DOTM,but bay dumbassness at it's best took them out of the picture :( 
    Mirage- ON DE GROUND G1 MIRAGE BECAUSE YOU JUST GOT PWNED. Love him Love him Love him
    Wheeljack- Ugly as F*ck but he did cool Wheeljack stuff. He invented stuff,his stuff didn't work at one point and he gave Barricade a kill
    Wreckers- If you don't see why these guys are awesome the you must be a NANCY WANKAH!
    Megatron- Loved the voice,liked his ROTF and DOTM designs,but he went out too quick in DOTM
    Starscream- Pretty cool,and he went out like he lived...a pussy
    Soundwave- Pretty damn cool,I liked him
    Shockwave- Underused,only had one line(Driller bot is thirsty ISN'T a line) but had a badass design
    Barricade- Barricade was awesome,made a great comeback with a few badass lines and he got to ordre cons around! Got killed by humans though :( . He also has a badass vehicle mode
    Brawl- Badass motherf*cker,nuff said
    Blackout- Awesome bot with awesome weapons
    Grindor- Showed off the melee capabilities of the design
    Bonecrusher- Bonecrusher hates that he's awesome
    Sideways- Pretty much a nobody,but I liked him. He and Barry would make good partners
    Constructicons- Cool designs but underused. Some of them didn't get Toys!
    Dreads- Badass Predators and damn they are fast
    Minions- Frenzy was ok,Ravage was awesome and Laserbeak was a f*cking badass

16. Strawberrytop00

Strawberrytop00 Derpticon

Well, I can't really say since most of them didn't get character development at all! But here is my thoughts-

Optimus Prime- I don't really care about the whole "We will kill them all!" thing I don't let it bother me...I like him I love his design and I love his character. Like both G1 and him the same!
    BumbleBee- I feel he got more screen time in the first and second film that should have been Prime's, but he didn't bug me in the third one. But will he ever speak!? That got old real quick! I thought he fixed it at the end of the first one. G1 a little more better.
    Ironhide- Loved him! Hate that he died and no one seemed to even care! Liked him better than G1! Design suited him better than a red van.
    Ratchet- I like him, I just wish he had more screen time and fight scenes. Liked him better than G1.
    Jazz- His death was like this- Optimus" We lost a good comrade *toss* " Jazz was one of my favorites in the first film. G1 is better.
    Sideswipe- Love him! But he needed way more screen time and development. I love his 'wheel feet' they look so cool when he's battling. Better!
    Wheelie- He was ok in ROTF...but I loved him in DOTM! Great job at making a some-what annoying character into a great enjoyable one! 100% better than G1 Wheelie! WAAAY Better!
    Brains- Both Wheelie and him I found to be adorable! He wasn't annoying or anything!
    The Twins- First time watching the film they didn't bug me...after that I felt they were waste of time!
    Jetfire- No! Sorry I did not like him! Did not like the whole old grandpa thing going on!
    Arcee- I think her design for the first film would have been great! Too bad Bay had to go and ruin her character making her useless and weak! G!, Prime, and Animated are far better!
    Dino/Mirage- Liked him, his accent was awesome! He defiantly stood out!
    Que- I refuse to think of this freak as Wheeljack! Ugh he is creepy as hell! He looked too human and his eyes were freaky! Did not like him at all!
    The Wreckers- Loved them and their accents were-to quote Lugnut- GLORIOUS!
    Megatron- Liked his design in ROTF and DOTM, too bad his character seemed to decrease as his look got more awesome. He is defiantly brutal, despite the fact that he was sulking in an alleyway, look at how he quickly dealt with Sentinel, ripping his helmet off and beat him rather quickly. Hate that he died, but that's what happens when you like the bad guys...you have to be ready for their death cause they never win. :(  Animated will always be my favorite!
    Starscream- My favorite character in any transformers series! I think I'm one of the few who loved his design here! XD He looks unique and being the Air Commander, looking like a bird of some-sort, seems like a fit. I get chills listening to his voice even when it changed in each film, getting higher-pitched. I hate he died, but Starscream always gets killed in any series he's in. But getting his eyes taken out is a brutal way to go. I did however get a laugh at his screaming and slamming his head against the ground. XD I'm glad he did get another chance to take out some planes when Lennox's team was flying in and he blew of the Autobot's shuttle. Don't make me choose a favorite! I can't! XD
    Soundwave- He was cool in ROTF, but I couldn't really see him as Soundwave in DOTM, why? He seemed extremely chatty. XD What happened to the silent badass we all know and love! I didn't like how he got taken out by BumbleBee of all bots and in a rather quick way. At least let it be Optimus, Ratchet, or Sideswipe to take him down. G1 Superior!
    Shockwave- Yet another favorite, his design is extremely badass, too bad-like all the other Cons'- he went out the way he did. Yes I know he was said to be the main villain just to cover up Sentinel...but at least give him great epic scenes and a less pitiful death! Ugh Such a waist of a great character! Animated is my favorite!
    Devastator- Waste...could have been epic...but they didn't do that now did they. -_-
    The Fallen- ...ugh...no...
    Lazerbeak- Awesome, when I first heard him speak it thought it would be lame...but nope totally badass little assassin you got there Soundwave!
    Sentinel Prime- Hated what he did, but he was a great character, his voice was very epic.
    Barricade- Loved him! Enough said.
    Blackout- Awesome design, very fitting!

But these are just my thought. ^^;

17. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Optimus - 9/10. The most emotional and human of the Optimus', even moreso then Animated and Primal. The most badass as well, though he lacks any real character arc throughout the films. When you piss him off, you piss him off.
    Bumblebee - 8/10. This was the Bumblebee that started Hasbro's "religion" believing that Bumblebee is a one-man franchise and therefore must be everywhere. But that's beside the point. He's young, but he's still very mature and capable (even bashing the Twins into line). He's very human as well, just like Optimus, and I don't mind his lack of voice either.
    Ironhide - 10/10. The best incarnation of Ironhide thus far in my opinion. Brave, badass, hilarious, trigger-happy, caring. Got great character moments, some of the best fight scenes. I love Jess Harnell's voice for Ironhide, even in some of the smallest of scenes. Also, he gets some of the funniest lines among the Autobots. ("Oh no I've seen that. This is NOT that. This is worse. Prime! Make something of yourself! ... He's pissed.") I was very shaken by his death, even if he was never mentioned again.
    Ratchet - 6/10. Underused, but I liked Robert Foxworth's voice as Ratchet, and he was always a favorite of mine for being the "underdog" who always observed from the background of scenes.
    Jazz - 8/10. The second best incarnation of Jazz behind Animated. Cool, hip, intelligent, and sleek. I love how he transforms by spinning and flipping.
    Sideswipe - 9/10. He was generic, slightly portrayed as cocky, but not only did he seem to act as second in command in DOTM after Ironhide's death; his design is easily the best out of all of the newcomers following the first film. The wheels, the swords, the dual pistols, and his sexy Corvette alternate mode. So really, Sideswipe gets a near-perfect score thanks to his design, not his character.
    Dino/Mirage - 7/10. He was generic just like Sideswipe, but Francesco Quinn's portrayal of his three lines, his badass sickle-blades, sexy Ferrari alternade mode, wins me over. The best incarnation of Mirage yet. I seem to call him Dino over Mirage now. He's the only Autobot I really do want a toy of besides Sentinel and the Wreckers. Shame that Ferrari was such a picky bitch about letting him into DOTM.
    Que/Wheeljack - 4/10. I didn't care for his head design too much. And he's just got so much "kibble" from weapons, car parts, everything else on him. His Mercedes alternate mode is overshadowed by Soundwave's same alternate mode. I do like George Coe's quirky, excited portrayal of a good chap who just wants to help his friends, and his death was sad, the way it was done.
    Arcee(s) - 2/10. Nonexistant thanks to the apathetic Michael Bay. I liked the alternate modes though, and Grey DeLisle's voice always is welcome to me, but nothing to talk about with her.
    Jetfire - 10/10. The best incarnation of the character yet. Hilarious and badass and crotchety all at once.
    Wheelie - 8/10. In ROTF I loathed him due to his potty mouth and crass humping of Mikaela's leg. In DOTM however he was legitimately funny, and really redeemed himself by sacrificing himself to save the Autobots. Tom Kenny is hilarious.
    The Wreckers - 9/10. The only reason they don't have a perfect score is because they didn't get too many badass fight scenes. But I love John Di-freakin-Maggio as the fat stocky Leadfoot, and Ron Bottita as the belligerent and cantankerous Roadbuster. TopSpin was cool-looking too. The second-best version of the Wreckers (bar LSOTW).
    Jolt - A cool design but nothing to say about him.
    The Twins - Honestly, they were legitimately funny, bar the fact that they were kid appeal characters and yet they were cussing Leo out. Imagine Winnie the Pooh calling you a bitch ass.

Megatron - 10/10. One of the best incarnations of Megatron. Utterly barbaric and animalistic. Ruthless. Hugo Weaving was perfect as this Megatron in ROTF and DOTM, and had the best guttural and purely primeval roar. Had some good character moments ("Sentinel's bitch"), and while his TF1 design was crap, ROTF and DOTM were badass.
    Starscream - 8/10. The tatoos in ROTF were a nice touch. He never turned on Megatron, but in the long run it wasn't so bad. He was extremely, extremely badass in the air, as an Air Commander should be.
    Soundwave - 9/10. I preferred his ROTF head to the DOTM head, but damn. This Soundwave, while not an emotionless computer like every other incarnation, is one heartless bitch. I rooted for Bumblebee to kill his evil ass in DOTM. The Mercedes alternate mode was pretty slick as well. At first, Frank Welker's lack of vocoding in his voice made it odd, since now Soundwave sounds like a generic, but I got used to it.
    Shockwave - 5/10. In terms of design, the WFC version beats this one, but this design is by no means lacking. Shockwave is yes, portrayed as a mindless drone on-screen for the most part, but I liked him. In the comics he's much more ruthless and doesn't care for those he kills. As long as he gets to kill.
    Laserbeak - 9/10. While I didn't like his head design, everything else about him was very impressive. He was the single deadliest and most important Decepticon in DOTM. And appropriately evil. I was very happy to see that he was dead. Best incarnation of Laserbeak yet.
    Blackout/Grindor - 6/10. No character other then the fact he was loyal to Megatron, but his design was pretty darn cool, helped by the fact Prime himself only comes up to his chest. Best incarnation of the character thus far.
    Bonecrusher - 4/10. He had a cool design but no character, and made a "cameo" in ROTF. Favorite design for the character? Definetly. Favorite character for the character? Nuh-uh.
    Brawl - Cool design but not much else.
    Sideways - Again, a cool design, but this time nothing else.
    The Dreads 7/10 - Excellent designs, and they showed enough intelligence to back down from fighting Ironhide (temporarily anyway). Sure they were cannon fodder, but contributed to one of the best fight scenes in DOTM.
    Constructicons - 6/10. No character since they were generic drones, but they had impressive designs, particularly Long Haul, Demolishor, and Overload.
    Devastator - 4/10. Ultimately, a waste of time and budget, but he looked cool, and his combination sequence was incredible.
    The Driller - 3/10. Another Devastator, slightly cool in design. Ultimately, he didn't contribute to the plot (which Devastator did somewhat by unearthing the Harvester for The Fallen), and halted it it to crash a building, and was randomly killed by Optimus after 2 seconds of fighitng.
    The Fallen - 4/10. While he was a crap villain, ultimately, he's my favorite version of the character thus far, in terms of design. Also, Tony Todd's naturally great voice is awesomesauce.
    Barricade - 8/10. First thing I can say about him: Where the HELL did he go? Anyway, he was a brief, but popular character with me. Liked Keith David's voice for him over Jess Harnell, and I was happy he finally got some closure in DOTM. Plus, he got to slap around some poor Protoforms. :lolol 
    Ravage - 5/10. Pretty damn badass design, poor execution.
    Scorponok - Same as Ravage.

Sentinel Prime - 10/10. The best villain and by extension character of the film series, and now my favorite version of the character. Voiced to perfection by Leonard Nimoy. Deadly and ruthless, and yet still a tragic villain, simliar to Lotso (thank you Paxtin). Just perfect, and he was able to take on several humans, several Autobots, and Optimus all at once.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    As much as I can't say I was "wowed" by the characterizations of any of the movieverse bots besides Sentinel Prime and Bumblebee, I am totally behind the idea of reinventing characters, moving into new territory for their characterizations, and even completely reinventing them.

That being said, the characterizations of almost all the cybertronians suffered in the movies by the lengths of the film, the larger casts in the later 2 films, the focus on spectacle and lengthly humor scenes, and above all else, the relegation of the titular characters to backdrop pieces for the human characters, whom the plot revolves around. Some of the human characters are pretty well-defined, but the Autobots are simply there to move the plot along or punch eachother in most scenes, and the Decepticons are even more shallow, in most cases only howling monsters for the US military to shoot at to show how great they are.

19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Honestly, the creation of G1 BB makes no sense. In a war that has lasted as far as the war did, characters like him would be the first ones to die, simply because they are weaker than the rest. Natural selection at it´s finest. Being sincere doesn´t get you very far in a war. Courageous might get you far, but unless you have the firepower or strength to back it up, you are just being stupid. But then again I dislike the concept of characters like G1 BB.

If I pick a fight with a MMA fighter, I´m being courageous, but I´m also being a retard.

20. Grand-Convoy

Grand-Convoy God Ginrai

Starscream is my favourite character in every franchise but this one, he hauled ass. Soundwave was a B.A.M.F., Shockwave was a pushover. That ain't right to me. My favourite characters:
    Bot - Ratchet/Que
    Con - Sentinel/DOTM Megs/Barricade.