Your not going to believe what I just bought at a garage sale...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transmetropolitan, May 22, 2007.

1. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Yesterday I went with my Mom to a big neighborhood garage sale and found...
    A

G1

FORTRESS MAXIMUS

Holy Gnaw-poop! The white is fairly dingy, and the whole thing was icky dirty. I gave it a good cleaning and it looks decent FOR EIGHT DOLLARS. I thought about haggling it down to $5, but I didn't want to be a cheapskate. It's missing all the accesories, even the plastic window on his left side, but he does have Cerebros. Oh, and his big gun broke off in his fist leaving the peg. I tried for an hour to get it out but it's too hard for me, though I'm sure it can be done. None of the stickers were applied. No where. The left leg pull down stair step is a little loose. Basically, just a body and a head. I'm going to sell it on Ebay to help pay for some of Botcon or, if I can ever find one, a Wii . It's just too incomplete for me to keep and I'm content with Brave. I'll post the auction link later this afternoon.

2. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

yeah I got mine with Metroplex and Sky Lynx for $50. You should keep it and fix him up.

3. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Hmmm... knowing how big that peghole is, you might have some luck drilling a small hole in the peg remnant, putitng a screw in about halfway, and then gripping the screw head with pliers to give you some leverage (Drilling the hole is important, otherwise the screw will just add pressure, wedging it in tighter)

Or if you've got a drill bit that's just a little bit smaller, and you're very careful, you might be able to just drill the thing out entirely, but there's a lot more potential to damage the actual fist there.

Congrats on the find though! If you haven't already got a Fort Max, maybe you should consider keeping this one? He's a worthy piece to have, and if you've got Cerebros, then the pieces you need can be gotten as reproductions as well as eBay parts lots.

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Bah, even for $8, I would never bother with a incomplete broken Fort Max.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    At OTFCC '03, a dealer had a whole table of incomplete Fortress Maxi. Just the bodies, no accessories at all. I don't remember how much he was asking, but it wasn't much. These didn't have Cerebros, but he's not much rarer than Max bodies. Spike is the real money winner there. Too bad you didn't get him.

6. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Yeah, totally anti-climatic. This doesnt even compare to the time that dude got a free, almost MIB G1 Optimus that was sitting in his friend's sister's room. That ruled.

7. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I don't believe it. No one ever finds anything good at Yard Sales or Flea Markets...

Well, there's that one guy who always posts his finds here... That lucky bastard!

(Great find, BTW. Never once found a FM body in all my years of searching... Found most of his parts, but never a body...)

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    that's a waste of $8. I mean unless it makes you happy. But it sounds like it's missing alot of parts.

9. rework

I'd say it's far from a waste. Even stripped of all parts, that could Ebay for close to $100. Worst case, that would buy a lot of movie toys!

BTW, I hope you asked the people running the sale if there was any chance they had any of the parts - Or any other Transformers!

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

You guys saying he wasted his money are out of your minds. Even incomplete and in the described condition it's easily worth 10 or 12 times what he paid for it. That's one hell of a find.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Well he said it was dinged up and "icky dirty" made me think badly of it :p 
    oh wait I just re-read his entry he cleaned it up and it had Cerebros. Ok yeah I would probably pay more then $8 for it too.

12. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Great find...time to start piecing him together now...

13. Cerebros

Cerebros TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Congrats! $8 is definitely a great find especially with Cerebros. I bought a FM body (mostly white) for $90 alone. Wish I could find stuff like that at garage sales.

14. rework

I would sell the Cerebros seperate from the body. I think you will get a lot more that way. There are a lot of people who would be interested in just the head, but wouldn't want to pay the additional cost & freight for a whole body.

Or, if you are going to Botcon anyway, just take the head with you. It would be a powerful trade item! If you don't get any offers you like, Ebay it after...

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's a hell of a find, well worth $8.

16. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cerebros alone goes for pretty good money alone on ebay...

Great find good luck on you re-sale.

17. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd take an incomplete Fort Max for $8. I'm always so broke that money would never allow me to afford a complete one. I mean, I could always buy the parts for him off of eBay as time allowed it. I'm jealous of your find, and more jealous that the person that found it for that amount is just going to sell it.

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Eight bucks?! That's a helluva find. You probably can't even ship him for $8.

Speaking of which, how much were you gonna slap him on ebay for? I might be interested in getting some body parts off of him...

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hey, does it have the red sliding parts that go on the arm ramps? I need one.

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I always stop at local garage sales and stuff like that...you'll never know what you might find....

I have found a few Transformers here and there, but mostly all I see is Power Rangers stuff....