Your ISP is watching you

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundman006, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Soundman006

Soundman006 the Doctor

2. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see this going really well.....

3. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    What's next? Are they going to monitor how many users are fapping? I'm sure they'll find a way to link internet initiated fapping to global warming and terrorism in the future, best enjoy it while we can.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You know what bugs me about all this? It's not that it's trying to stop piracy. I'm okay with that. It's that it's up to individuals to decide what piracy is, and the power their given to combat said piracy.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I work for an ISP. So let me tell you how it works, at least according to my company.

We're notified by the owner of the property that this IP Xxx.Xxx.Xxx.Xxx has downloaded and/or shared property Y. We call subscriber Z and let them know that we've been notified by company B that they downloaded and/or shared property Y and they should stop. In most cases, this should prevent any legal action that company B decides to take against subscriber Z. I say "most" because there's always that chance that company B decides to just say the hell with it and sues the shit out of subscriber Z.

Ok, so lets say we call subscriber Z, let them know the situation, and subscriber Z continues to download/share property Y. The ISP will throttle subscriber A's connection until the ISP is able to talk to them again and have them e-sign a document basically saying "I'm sorry and I wont do it again".

Now, lets say it continues still. The ISP shuts the connection off completely, contacts subscriber Z again, at this time, they have 24 hours to e-sign another document, basically saying "I'm still sorry and promise to never do it again" or the ISP will disconnect me.

ISPs are trying to educate subscribers, and hopefully get them to stop before company B decides to sue the shit out them.

At no point during all of this, does company B know the identity of subscriber Z, unless a subpoena is provided.

I hope this makes sense, as I'm quite drunk right now and on my kindle.

As an added bonus, if you subscribe to Armstrong Cable as your ISP, you might actually get a call from me personally, since, as a member of our lead technician team, I've been selected to have to deal with this shit. I'm not happy with it, lord knows I've done my share of downloading, so please don't give me crap about having to call you.

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

in other words, if you just don't share copyrighted material, or download it, you'll be fine :lol 

7. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Man I miss the GOOD OL' days of the internet when it FIRST really got started back in 95'.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

Pretty much.

Everybody thinks that if they don't share it, they wont get in trouble. Downloading will get you into just as much shit.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Is this going to apply to torrents of TV shows? That's all I download these days.

10. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    It's mostly premium networks like HBO that care about that stuff.

There really isn't a legal precedent for public access stuff like CBS and ABC and such, because you can get those shows for free off the airwaves and are allowed to share it for private use. I'm sure those networks would love to stop torrents of their shows, but they don't have the balls to ever take it to the courts.

Like I said though, HBO and Showtime and those guys, they have and will go after piracy for their stuff.

11. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So watching YouTube won't risk me getting my internet killed? I'm really looking forward to episode 8 season 2 of Transformers Prime, and I don't think it's airing here any time soon. Though it may not be uploaded and I'll have to wait anyway.

Of course, for all I know this could just be for America.

12. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My company does something similar. Except, we don't call people. We send them an e-mail or letter :) 

But still.....I know somehow, some way....people will find a way around all this.

"Where there's a will, there's a way."

13. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    So, basically I can't watch a video without getting arrested. I love how the government is more concerned about copyright than trouble with other countries.

14. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I'd say something, but it would be breaking rule 3 here.

15. TheIncredibleHulk

We send them letters too. We only call them if they get so many complaints.

16. TheIncredibleHulk

Youtube will be fine. I'm sure if there's copyrighted material, they'll deal with youtube themselves.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

I don't believe the government has anything to do with this. And you can get sued for downloading, not arrested.

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Does anyone think comics and anime will be an issue? I've downloaded back-issues and licensed anime(Evangelion, FLCL, Gundam) in the past.

And I'm assuming copyright holders only get your IP by requesting from the source sites, correct?

19. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

They have tried the sue everyone tactic and it hasn't worked, but their strategy with this seems to be to make the use of the internet as horrible as TV and movie distribution is now so that it isn't a viable alternative to the channels of distribution they control. That's why they don't even say they will cut people off completely but rather throttle them, insert onerous popups to tell you how evil you are etc etc...

My personal belief is that short of cutting off everyone's internet there will always be a workaround. To quote "Serenity": You can't stop the signal.

This is the ISPs doing this not the copyright holders. So, basically the people that can monitor every bit of traffic to and from everywhere have appointed themselves the attack dogs of the content creation industries.

20. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:

hmmm...yes "It's not my fault, I'm just following orders"... never heard that one before...