Your ideal Unicron scenario

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Windsweeper II, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I got into a discussion about Quintesson toys in the rumors forum and it sidetracked to envolve the upcoming Unicron storyline.
    Many of us anticipate any Unicron storyline with dread - and sadly not because past storylines have managed to imprint the Chaosbringer as an omnious figure in our memory - and many of us have gripes about how the character or plot has been handled in the past or that it has been handled at all.

But how would you think a Unicron storyline could be handled by IDW in such a way that you look forward to it on the edge of your seat so to speak?

I'm simply trying to anticipate what IDW is planning with what follows:
    To me it seems the "prepare - confront - repel" guys are a sect preparing to confront and repel the Chaosbringer.
    It seems IDW is also getting less shy about stating the religion is reality.
    So i anticipate that rumored Unicron centric mini series being all about establishing what we have been told about the Cybertronian genesis story as a reality and Unicron as part of it.
    We'll probably get to see the LL encounter Unicron first after dealing with Tyrest and crew which have probably tied themselves to the Worldsweeper guys out of opportunism.
    This will probably bring them to earth and Cybertron in Unicron's vanguard.
    The actual confrontation will probably be a shared event. And Grimlock in homage will probably be key in awaking Primus or something and defeat Unicron.

Of course i could be wrong about all of this and have misinterpreted and misremembered a lot of things.
    But if i'm right all of this could be very cringy or very good depending on how it's executed.
    In any case the last thing i want is Optimus, Arcee and GI Joe being the only actors in the confrontation, fighting their way to Unicron's brain and simply blowing him up.

2. Geox82

Geox82 Well-Known Member

You see, I think they are still playing fast and loose with the religion vs reality thing - especially in light of OP 10. While TAAO may have ended re-affirming the notion that a spark has imprinted a true form that could only be achieved through forging or blacksmithing - this is true of all sparks, not just forged sparks, but the matrix born sparks as well. Simply put, Nova just didn't have the materials to allow the sparks harvested from the matrix to achieve their natural form... nor did he care, as he placed these sparks in bodies based on what he felt was needed - this is true of warborn cybertronian MTO's as well.

But while TAAO seemed to affirm the Camien teachings - we saw in this latest OP issue that Solus Prime was just a tribal leader, nothing special - in fact it can almost be inferred that the only truly special "Primes" were Megatronus, Onyx, and Alpha Trion, the others just seem to be PoP's that became tribal leaders, and then wrote their own history books to prop them up as more special than everyone else.

Regardless, that does leave Unicron as Primus' counterpart - but we don't yet know in what capacity - is he a deity/universal constant or is he a construct of another being as he was in the G1 cartoon. Regardless I think the important thing is what he represents, a threat on a global scale to any life in the universe.

One other thing - everyone seems to be overly concerned about Unicron's introduction - but I think what people have completely failed to do is actually pay attention to the context he is being introduced in. He is not a major storyarc in LL or OP (Yet) - he will be getting his own monthly series to become the 3rd title effectively replacing TAAO. This means, that just like Rom vs TF - it could be taking place in the distant past. For all we know - he was already defeated by Primus Titans and this is the story of how Metroplex and his brethren accomplished the feat prior to returning to cybertron to assist in the unification of the 13 primes. This is the direction I hope they go in, that Unicron was already physically defeated, and is now a malevolent presence in the universe - to draw a parallel to marvel - think Shadow King. Instead of a physical threat, he is that whisper that creates chaos - he puts the ideas of "a place for everything and everything in its place" or "peace through tyranny" - into the minds of Primus' creations.

To put it into context - imagine how much more damage Unicron could be accountable for if instead of physically eating planets - he line up the dominoes up and tipped them over to lead to the rise of Decepticon's and the civil war that destroyed countless civilizations - including almost destroying Cybertron. And what if we learn, that those visions Optimus Prime has been getting since issue 50 are coming from him.

• Like Like x 4
  3. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Building off of this, I like the idea put forth by Cybertron that Unicron could assume a normal sized form after his planetary body was defeated. A small, perhaps even unassuming, guy drifting from planet to planet seeding chaos, going unnoticed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I loved issue 50. It would be a shame if no more was done with those visions.

It is quite unfortunate that Unicron traditionally is a giant transformer and that is how he looks best, because he would actually be a bigger threat as an energybeing like Tornadron.
    Then again form should not be a limit to him if he is a God.
    This might just be his favorite way of showing himself, but Unicron may be more like an idea and his chosen fysical form while able to affect may not be affected by events on the fysical plane.

But i would prefer Unicron not to be a God, nor Primus.
    I would Unicron to be a force of nature, an antithesis to the big bang.
    I'd enjoy Primus and Unicron to be one thing, one idea, with the powers i attributed to it above but with more of an animalistic intelligence seeking to make all one again simply because that is the idea that gave birth to it when the big bang occured, and that idea fueled itself by creating itself so that it constantly has to eat in order to survive, trapping itself in it's goal.
    So that it is truly beyond good, beyond evil.
    I would like that goal to be not presented as evil, but as something that especially to Cybertronians might be seen as another way.
    An end that may lead to the universe being recreated as a better place.
    I would like Unicron to force the Cybertronians to confront themselves with the suffering they have caused all over and the evil they have done.
    I would like him to not be evil but different.

But that probably won't happen in an IDW title.

5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Unicron shows up, decimates Earth and Cybertron, maybe eats a colony world or two. Make sure to get a nice shot of him consuming Windblade, like how Brainstorm went in the Marvel era. Slag a few other annoying / pointless characters while we do. I've become so tuned out of the IDW universe (With the exception of Lost Light, for now) I really couldn't care less what happens to it. If the sales figures keep dropping they'll have to stop and either cancel or reboot the universe anyways.

Joking aside, I'd like to see Unicron have a close connection to the Quintessons when they decide to bring him in.

6. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Like in Dreamwave G1 maybe.
    They seemed to be researching it if i remember correctly.
    That was a tantalising issue.
    I'm still bummed that after all that Prime Directive shit and all Dreamwave had to fold just when it got interesting.

7. Geox82

Geox82 Well-Known Member

I would love any and all of this - Like I said, let the giant planet eating body be an ancient threat that Metroplex and the Titans already destroyed - give us a Unicron that is different in how he creates chaos. In truth, thats kind of what made the Unicron in TF: Prime so good, the twist that he was Earth and could make stone manifestations of himself was great... it just felt like it was dealt with too easily.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Yeah. I like the idea of Unicron being earth.
    Prime wasted an opportunity.
    Maybe IDW can do better.

9. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Old Bot

News Credits:
    I think its too early to assume an ideal Unicron scenario, everything in IDW constantly changes plus the fact that a Prime arc is ahead of us and Unicron's introduction could be endgame

10. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Unicron has consistently been one of those "story ending" arcs for Transformers. He's consistently been the end of a Transformers telling. G1 cartoon lasted 1.5 seasons after him. BW lasted used him at the end of season 2 and then died after 1 season of BM. G1 comics - US and UK - both died after bringing in Unicron. There just isn't that much to do after him, and really, how do you defeat a planet? As much as I hate it, TF is not JLA or Avengers or FF or X-Men and doesn't have the ability to bring in a Thanos/Darkseid/Doomsday/Galactus type character and survive.

Thinking that IDW may draw out Unicron for quite some time (year or two or more) and then use him as a way to hard reboot or give TF a break.

Ideally, I would like to see IDW pull itself out of the nosedive they seem to be doing. I would LOVE to start seeing the Autobots be the heroes again, and for characters like OP and Grimlock and FM and Hot Rod, who I feel have been thoroughly drug through the mud, actually get a chance to shine and be heroes like they were intended to be.

11. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'd like Unicron to just warp into Cybertron's orbit without warning, though he's seemingly dormant with scans revealing no signs of activity, either externally or internally.
    Everyone's losing their shit, all the religious Transformers are like "it's the end of days, Unicron has come to annihilate Primus's children!", Optimus, Starscream and co. are strategising, trying to figure out if there's anything they can do.

They hatch a plan for Metroplex to fly a joint force of the Autobots, Decepticons, and Colonists to Unicron and try to destroy him from the inside out before he can activate and kill them all.
    They reach Unicron's planet form and split into two teams; one to remain on the surface, the other lead by Optimus to go underground to try to destroy Unicron from the inside out.
    In the process of scouting from the air, the above ground team spot what looks like an old Autobot shuttle, but before they can radio anyone to report the strange finding the ground suddenly swallows it, as huge chasms start appearing across the "planet"... Unicron is transforming!

Below ground team Optimus is making their way towards Unicron's brain module when his transformation begins, and while Optimus and a few others are able to move fast enough to avoid it, in the shifting of his innards several of them are dumped into a sea of strange liquid. This "sea" is full of islands formed from gigantic chunks of planets Unicron has consumed, the ruins of spaceships float on the acrid waves, and the corpses of both mechanical and organic aliens line the shores of these "islands".

Optimus and his crew draw closer to their target and stumble upon a massacre of dead tentacled, biomechanical aliens; Quintessons! Optimus recalls seeing their likeness on Shockwave's Ore missile, but has no idea what they are or where they come from. They follow the trail of the dead and eventually come upon a huge sword embedded in the ground.
    At that moment metallic footsteps begin echoing behind them, drawing closer, accompanied by angry, arguing voices and even heavier louder footsteps behind them.
    "I swear to Primus, Misfire, if you ruin one more game of Shoot Shoot Bang Bang by triggering some cataclysmic, world-ending event...!"
    "I didn't do it on purpose, Krok! Why would I have done that on purpose?! And anyway, technically it's Crankcase's fault for–Hang on, is that Optimus Prime?"

After a brief confrontation, Grimlock appears behind the Scavengers in T-Rex mode, and they go through the same rigamarole they did with Fortress Maximus. They explain that they came upon Unicron last week, and after setting down discovered the Quintessons working to guide him back to Cybertron so they could "reclaim their planet". The Scavengers didn't really care, all they saw were a bunch of gross (techno)organic aliens, so they decided to kill them all, like in the good old days. Grimlock killed most of them himself, but the others took great delight in hunting down the remaining Quints, eventually tracking them to Unicron's brain module, which Misfire shot while trying to kill the last Quintesson. This set off a chain reaction that destroyed the gigantic brain, ending the threat of Unicron to Cybertron before he could ever return.
    Unicron appearing near Cybertron and subsequent incredibly slow transformation is the result of a game of Shoot Shoot Bang Bang gone awry. Misfire tackled Crankcase into some weird console the Quintessons had been working on, the teleport energy in turn triggered Unicron's incredibly slow transformation, a case of rigor morhpis on a colossal scale.

Eventually everyone returns to Cybertron where the Scavengers are hailed as heroes for saving an Autobot war hero and saving the entire planet.
    And everyone lived happily ever after.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I just posted a pretty reaching conspiracy that popped to mind over in the OP#10 thread, after reading through it and this one:

It'd be quite fun to see that Unicron was secretly one of the members of the 13, stretching the corruption of the lineage all the way back to then.

It could provide a crisis for all of the religious bots in story to learn this (maybe even giving us some cultists), and give us a non-planet sized Chaos Bringer that uses his brains and super ancient knowledge to provide the "super-mega-omg-ultimate-heavy-metal" threat; instead of just a regular "super" threat, like that other wacky Prime, Onyx.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Interesting :D 

14. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So, the Fantastic Four movie Galactus route, huh?

15. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I don't know. I'm not very familiar with Fantastic four fiction.
    I just meant he would be less vulnerable and thus more Godlike as an energy being.
    But any way i see it, to be a real threat in the IDW verse his physical form should at least be just a manifestation of his real self which cannot be affected by events on the physical plane.
    Otherwise Optimus and Arcee will just fight themselves a way through a bunch of slimy creatures while Starscream and Windblade play kindergarten politics and blow Unicron up from the inside. Turning him into number so and so of the list of LOTR style threats that never really were a threat at all.

16. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that idea has been overdone.

17. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Perhaps, but it's never really been explored properly.

18. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Old Bot

News Credits:
    Don't forget the Movieverse, it REALLY sucked
    True but who wouldn't want to see a Unicron story wherein the Matrix was already used up making the only KNOWN way of defeating Unicron useless

19. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Interesting. They'd have get creative.

20. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unicron magically resets the universe while erasing all the other Hasbro properties and we all start over.

• Like Like x 1