your first experience with transformers and how you got into back to collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transfan681, Mar 16, 2012.

1. transfan681

transfan681 Retired TF Collector

News Credits:
    hears my
    it started in 2008 when i was at a wal mart buying food and i came a cross a Stealth Bumblebee and i just saw the movie so i was like why not >

so a year past by and i just saw the super bowl for TF2. so i look up some of the ROTF toys on line

so ROTF toy line came out then i was only going to get the ones in the movie
    so now im hook on movie TF,s
    around x-mas 09 i was looking at some dvds and i found shout factory transformers S1 so i was thinking why not buy it and afther seeing S1 i wanted some classics toys so on mid 2010 i got my first non movie figs
    and after 3 yrs hear im with 150+TF,s

2. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was at Walmart buying some bionicles in 07 and I barricade I bought him and had so much fun with him I bought bumblebee

Around 09 I saw the rotf line I bought a new bumblebee then I got most of the rotf, hftd, generations, revel the shild and dotm line

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    In 2001 or 2002, my mom got me an RID Sideburn. Soon, I had like 4 or 5 Armada toys. I didn't really have any Energon toys for whatever reason and Cybertron got me back into it.

4. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In 1984, I saw the original G1 Soundwave commercial and was amazed by the animation, as well as the size of the toy, and the fact that it had a smaller transformer that fit inside him. As with most kids at the time, I couldn't get enough of the line. I haven't stopped collecting since.

5. seali_me

seali_me Dakilang Mandirigma

My first experience with TFs was back in 1984. One of my rich schoolmates brought one to school. I was so jealous. My very first TF was Beachcomber. I remember having Dragstrip, Brawn and a couple of others but for some odd reason not all at the same time.

Back 2004 or 2005, I was found myself at the TF aisle since there were no interesting videogame to purchase. Lo and behold, a WRX Silverstreak, Jeep Wrangler Hound, Dodge Viper Sunstreaker. I nabbed all of them thinking which one should I take home. I couldn't go home without picking up at least one. I got Silverstreak since I was into Initial D as well.

Then came the first baymovie. I was excited to check them out at TRU since the engineering of the alternators were just mind blowing. To my disappointment, the TFTM toys were all fugly then I decided to look for more alternators then I stumbled upon Classics Voyager Prime, Classics Voyager Jetfire and Alternators Prime. I didn't care what my wife said but they were all coming home with me. Best 100$ I spent that week.

6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't remember my first experience (I believe I had a Devastator among the earlier figures) but the '07 film got me back into collecting. It started accidentally really, as my mom and sister got me a 3-inch Titanium G1 Optimus to put on my birthday cake, only they forgot to put it on so it was a "Happy Tuesday" gift a week or so later. It spurred me to look up some of the other 3-inch Titaniums (still love those and sad they were canceled)...then while looking those up I saw the G1 Revoltechs and picked up the main four (Optimus, Megs, Starscream and Hot Rod)...then I decided to "splurge" on the TRU Classics/Hasbro Commemorative Soundwave reissue (always loved Soundwave) and Ultimate Bumblebee (the motion-activated gimmicks and giant Camaro mode amused me).

Then I talked myself into picking up "some" of the G1 reissues I noticed in late summer '08, starting with Collection Megatron and 25th Anniverary Optimus...and here I am, three and a half years later.

7. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    I had some transformers in the 80s when I was a kid and then loved the Beast Wars era and also had many of the toys. But then most of my toys as a child were given away. So sad. I didn't do any transformers until the movie came out. Once that happened, I bought a few of the figures (Ironhide...being my first one) and then when ROTF came out, thats when I began going crazy with my collection. I love it and would not trade it away and its just a lot of fun for me!

8. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

I got a G1 Hook as my first Transformer. Then in the '90's, I kinda remember watching a little bit of Beast Wars and having Insecticon and Rattrap...and a few other Basics. And G2 Road Pig. And G2 Dirt Bag. Yeah, I was hooked, and Beast Wars dragged me well into it as I watched every episode every Saturday. I never exactly stopped collecting, but I barely got any Armada and just a few Energon toys. Cybertron I got several figures from. I remember seeing 20th anniversary DVD edition Optimus in the store, and even though the included stand clearly didn't speak the real Optimus' voice I so wanted that toy! Unfortunately, the price was just too high and I never saw him again... Sadly, I only got Classics Jetfire, and only because I wanted to see the upcoming movie before I bought any of the toys. I've mostly regretted it ever since. (although Henkei Astrotrain looks worlds better anyway. The space choo-choo is grey and purple, dagnabbit.:p )

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    My parents bought me G1 Prowl in 1984. I was 3. it became my favorite toy line and I was able to get quite a few other G1s when I was a child.

I bought a few G2 toys and a couple BW characters I liked after seeing a couple episodes on TV but I didn't get back into collecting full time until RiD in 2001 and I haven't looked back.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    First experience came back during Beast Wars. After the Beast Era ended I went from getting them all to being selective. After a period of time I just cut back as I found less stuff that I was into. Then Animated was a strong point for me and I got a good amount of the ROTF/HFTD/DOTM figures that I liked, along with Generations/RTS. Now I'm hook on TF: Prime figures.

11. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I was born in the 80s and I had all kinds of Transformers when I was growing up. I was too young to enjoy G1 but I was a huge G2 kid. After Armada/Energon/Cybertron ended, I pretty much stopped collecting, focusing on 1/6th scale models and a return to GI Joe. My return to collecting came in 2009 with Revenge of the Fallen. I watched the 2007 movie but decided to skip out on the toys, but I had to have a Ravage. Ever since then I've been pretty much buying, and trying to get all those Classics figures I missed.

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

was 6 years old when G1 started, with Starscream my first Transformer (must have been before the cartoon, I just saw him as a jet that became a robot, I didn't know about his traitor ways until the cartoon started), got TF's until the 3rd season (by that time, I stopped caring). I got back into it with Beast Wars, stuck trough Beast Machines, was somewhat out during Armada and Energon, was back to full blown collecting from Cybertron on

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Back in the 80's, I can't remember what I saw first - the comic or the TV show. I'm inclined to say the comic because I was collecting comics at the time and a friend told me that Transformers was hot. I remember I wasn't too impressed with the comic art at the time, but it did lead me to watching the show on TV, and it quickly became my favorite show. I remember hoping I'd get home in time every day to watch Transformers, and was always praying to see a re-run of Starscream's Brigade, my favorite episode of all.

I didn't really get into collecting the G1 figures, as my big toy collecting love at the time was the Super Powers figures - I remember it taking forever to find an Aquaman...

But I do remember being at Sears one day, and on my way out I passed through the toy section and there was a Starscream - my favorite character. I snapped him up, took him home, and was immediately wondering why the toy didn't look like the cartoon? :D  But I loved him, and I picked up a few others along the way - Soundwave, Thundercracker (rode all the way to Albertsons to get him one day), and I think that was it. I know there was a Cosmos floating around the house, but I don't remember buying it. Maybe a Bumblebee too.

Fast forward to 2010. Hadn't bought a Transformer in ages. I'd seen the 2007 movie and RotF, but never had any inclination to buy any of the toys. I saw commercials for War for Cybertron, bought it, and became entranced with it. Didn't put the game down for months. Not long after I bought it, I happened to be in Wal-Mart, and for the hell of it was walking through the toy aisles. And there on the pegs I saw the Generations Optimus Prime and Bumblebee from WfC - bought them on sight, took them home, and immediately wondered why I couldn't successfully transform something for ages 5 and up :lol 

I was good for a while, but thanks to this site, I knew Megatron and Soundwave were coming from the WfC line. But something kept nagging at me - I needed a Starscream. So I got a Universe 2.0 Starscream. And from there the ball started rolling. Now I love me some plastic crack!

14. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

Started around early/mid 90's.

For me series wise it was Beast Wars.

My friend at the time had a Ultra Optimus Primal on his bedroom floor.

Out of curiosity I asked what it was and what show it came from.

Never left the hobby I have been collecting since.

Spent time in junior high buying G1 comics and G1 VHS tapes.

This was to learn about pre Beast Wars Transformers.

I was a completist during RID up until Armada and some of Energon.

I've since learned to cut back.

Purchase a handful or so of figures from each series.

Classics (2006-present) is the series I have the most figures on display.

The only one that can compete numbers wise is Beast Wars.

15. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Being born in '83 I was kind of young to enjoy the early waves of Transformers. I did end up getting a good bit of season 3 and later stuff so that was my main thing as a kid. I did, however, have a neighbor who was several years older than me who had a bunch of the older stuff so I was able to check that out years later when his older sister would babysit me.

I started collecting at 17 when I met a guy on a water polo team I was playing on who I discovered was into the '80's cartoons and other modern (at that time) cartoons. After talking to him a bunch about the stuff it peaked my interest to go back and watch the TF movie and the handful of episodes I had on tape.

This led to me pulling out the beat up toys I still had and then the idea struck me that I could obtain some of the toys I always wanted as a kid but never had or friends had. Ebay had become a big thing around that time so I figured I'd see if anyone sold stuff on there and boy did my eyes get wide when I started searching.

The rest is pretty much history. I had to stop for a few years while I was in college as I was broke, but once I graduated and got a job I picked it back up and had more money to blow on it.

16. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I don't remember which figure was my first, but I grew up watching Transformers when it first aired all those years ago.

I do remember having a lot of Decepticons though. I also had a lot of Cobra toys for G.I. Joe, so I favored the bad guys. lol I had Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream, and all six Constructicons. I only had two Autobots, that being Wheeljack and Hoist. I did have several of the smaller Autobots. Warpath, Cosmos, Cliffjumper, and a few others. I also had no problem owning/playing with Gobots either. :D 

My last Transformer was in 1988, and it was a Headmaster (Skullcruncher). Almost 25 years later, after watching a few episodes of the new Prime cartoon online (that a friend told me about), I was interested in the cartoon and the toys. My first Transformer coming back was the Prime RID Wheeljack. I also picked up the Generations Wheeljack that same day as well.

17. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    First time hearing about Transformers:
    On the way home from town with my mother back in 1984 and the lady on the radio was talking about the hot toys for Christmas that year.

First time seeing a Transformer:
    A kid in my class got G1 Mirage for his birthday. He was all coy about transforming it in front of us. He would literally turn around transform it then turn back around and show us the figure.

First Transformer:
    That year in school for our Christmas secret Santa I got a G1 Gears.

First Transformer under the Tree:
    My parents got me a G1 Thundercracker that year for Christmas.

How I got back into Collecting:
    Back in College a buddy of mine was telling me about this new site called Ebay and how you could find just about anything on there. So I searched for Transformers and came across a G1 Menasor giftset for like $60. By the time I was able to sign up and get my account activated, the auction was over. From there it was all down hill ;) 

18. PrimeIV

PrimeIV The sheep that got lost

Ebay:
    1st experience: Somehow I ended up with a G1 Megatron. It was awesome. I was 6? 7?
    (Sold him with my comic collection 20 years later, one of my biggest regrets. he was poor quality bc i beat the hell out of him, but still important.)

Back into collecting, long answer in another thread, but mostly bought one for my boy. Opened the box and transformed it for him, and remembered...yeah this is awesome.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my brother gave me g1 prowl when i was 3 or 4, got back into them from a g1 trailbreaker from a comic book shop, never had the mold when i was young, and wanted to see what it was like...the alts, then mps, then classics, then...

20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1984 looking at the catelog someone brought on the bus. Still love the first catelog. Got out of collecting around 1986/7. Throttlebot Searchlight was my last TF as a kid.

Around 1992 when G2 was starting, I got Jazz, Slag & Snarl since I never had them as a kid. Didn't get any others.

Around 2000 or so when BM was going, I got Mirage or whatever the indy car was called. Wasn't into beast mode TFs before that. I got Jetstorm & have bought them ever since.