Your FAVORITE video game console of all time - NOT PC!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by My03Tundra, Sep 11, 2006.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    First, to differentiate here, this for consoles not PC or MACs. For the most part, PCs are an upgradeable platform where most console systems are not.

Now, what is your favorite video game console of all time, and why? It doesn't have to be new, or recent.

Mine is the SNES. Some of my fondest gaming memories are from when we (my brother and I) had a SNES and would play games together. There was one MechWarrior game on the SNES that allowed two-player co-operative mode where one player moved and the other managed the guns.

After the SNES, I got the PlayStation and he moved out. We played games once in awhile when he'd visit, but nothing beats playing with another human in person. There is just something "special" about trash talking the person sitting next to you after beating them in Street Fighter Turbo, after they had beaten you for the last ten times in a row...

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

the nes, easily. it just has the most memories for me and stuff, good games, good memories.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Barring consoles that aren't out yet, my favorite console ever is the SNES. My second favorite is the Sega Saturn. My reasoning for both is the same. Both systems had the best games of their time and the hardware to do those games justice. Both had brilliant in-house teams making some of the best games of their entire carreers. Both had a significant number of stellar second and third party games to back up the even better first-party titles. I have about ten other game consoles besides those two, and IMO none of them have both the amazing library and the killer hardware at the same time, relative to each console's own day.

They also both have had some of the best controllers I've ever had the pleasure of using.

4. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

SNES for sure, then Dreamcast, and then xbox 360 because i love its online ability

5. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The current gen tends to lack much personality. Not enough exclusive hits, too many shared titles. While that's a good thing overall, it makes it hard to really favor one console over another.

Never had the SNES - I was poor and in college.

I did have the NES, but never that many games. Did have some classics though.

I absolutely adored my N64. It never had the PSX voluminous library, but it seemed like we got several kick ass games every year, and I played most of them to death. SM64, Wave Rave, GoldenEye, StarFox64, Perfect Dark, 1080, Excitebike, MK64, DKR, BK1 and 2, Conker, TLOZOOT, TLOZMM.... And then there were some really neat niche games like Blast Corps, Body Harvest and Mischief Makers. Love to see some sequels one day...

But my all time fav had to be my first - a Colecovision. This was right before the crash. It had solid adaptations of arcade games, and best of all had the Atari 2600 attachment, so when the crash did arrive I got tons and tons of Atari games for $5.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The N64 does have a lot more great games than most people know. I got a Colecovision for free in the mid 1990s, along with the adaptor and a big box of Atari games. When I visit my friends in Arkansas, I know a place to get Atari 2600 games for $0.50! :D 

7. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Honestly, Sega Genesis and NES does get a lot of fond memories from me. That might be the top of the list, and I'm so bummed that I can't find my old Sega or Nintendo, not that they'd probably still work these days. But it'd be awesome if they did.

Oh, and I have to add N64. Can't beat Friday night marathon of Goldeneye with a group of friends. That and seeing who could beat Starfox the fastest.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

NES. Hands down.
    Sega Dreamcast and Genesis come in close together, but a far second.

9. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I've only had three: the Atari 7800, the Sega Genesis, and the Nintendo GameCube. Out of all of them, GameCube gets my vote. Smash Bros., baby! Super Smash Bros. Melee!

10. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

The SNES bar none, primarily because it was my first console upgrade. The NES got me into video games, and just the upgrade of the SNES, and playing Super Mario World for the first time, are things that I'll remember forever.

11. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Yay someone who loves the Saturn

Same here,SNES just had so many wicked games it's hard NOT to love it.

And with Saturn,I adored my Sonic Jam game.Since I never played a Sonic game before then.I loved it,managed to become Super Sonic in Sonic 3

And the Saturn controller was PERFECT for Capcom fighting games.With it's 2 rows of 3 buttons.I manged to to perfect my skill in 1)Street Fighter Alpha - I loved pulling off the Raging Demon on my friend Brian 2)X-Men COTA,ooo that game's just lucious.Loved pulling off air combos w/Akuma 3)Marvel Superheroes; Mastered that game too_O oo the air combos I could pull off with some of the characters was just evil.

My fav action game for Saturn was Astal.

*Sniff*

Now I'm getting nostalgic.When I find another job I'm going to look into buying a Saturn.Just to relive my glory days of Capcom mayhem:ev: 

12. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I am happy to say I still have all my old consoles, expect for my modded PSX. My favorite would have to be the NES, just was something that blew me away back in the day. Nothing has been able to do that since. Only other system that had any kind of feeling like that was the Atari 2600. I just rmember my whole family actually would gather around it and watch us all play. Only system that had that power.

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I remember having an Atari 2600. My older brother and my Mom had a River Raid contest to see who could get the highest score. My Mom won, but my brother refuses to accept that.

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I will say my wife is a Sega girl. I wouldn't be suprised to find Genesis is her favorite.

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Tough choice. I don't think I could pick a favorite, but I do know my top three.

(In no particular order)

Saturn: Guardian Heroes is still one of my favorite games ever. The Panzer Dragoon games being some of the most fun shooters I've ever played.

Dreamcast: I still remember the feeling of playing Sonic Adventure for the first time. Then there's Power Stone, the first DC game I ever played. Played it in a small tourniment outside the EB when I bought my DC at midnight. Got 2nd place. ;) 

N64: The THQ wrestling games totally made this one for me. My brother has every single one of them, including both Virtual Pro Wrestling games. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 and No Mercy were the best ever! The new THQ games rock, but there's just something special about those two games in particular. Some of the characters we made in those two games were so damn good, we always make them again in the new ones.

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Playstation 2. The number of great games I have played on it far surpasses SNES and PSOne (both I owned). My next console will be Wii and I hope it'll be as good as PS2 in terms of games.

17. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Sega Genesis, followed very closely by the N64. GoldenEye defined high school.

18. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My favorite tends to be what ever I’m playing on currently but the Genesis brings back a lot of fond memories. I loved that 6 button pad.

19. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Hmm, as far as I recall, I can only count 3 good games for the N64 over its entire life. Mario 64, and the Zelda games, and Majora's Mask wasn't that great either. It was basically a paperweight that collected dust for 4 years or however long it was I had that piece of shit.

20. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta say Gameboy, out of all systems, it got the most of my money. The Gameboy line has been a member of my entertainment life since I was 4. Last I had was a SP, but the PSP has put the Gameboy on the shelf for good.