Your favorite version of devastator???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by eagc7, Jan 12, 2010.

1. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie Devastator (aside from the wrecking balls)
    He is Awesome

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    ROTF. I like how the components vary in color and design, as in G1 the constructicon's transformation scheme involved standing up to reveal the robot underneath. Naturally big vehicles too. He may have had a beast/dog-like mentality, but G1 Devy was a dim bulb.

3. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I disagree:

[​IMG]

The IDW design used Constructicon parts for pretty much all of Devastator. I sort of miss the chestplate, but it's a small price to pay.

Gotta go with G1. I found the RotF design so lumbering and awkward that it lost a lot of menace. The thing looked as if it were barely capable of dragging its own bulk around. It didn't even actually fight anyone, just fired up the vortex grinder. I actually have difficulty picturing that one being capable of raising its arms to smash someone.

The uniqueness of the six-bot form also appeals to me, along with the fact that the leader's position isn't what later became typical.

The upright posture of G1 Devastator also lends him some additional intimidation factor.
    [​IMG]
    DEVASTATOR WILL CRUSH YOU.

Oh, and the fact that the G1 version can speak full sentences helps, too.

- Coeloptera

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    G1 Dev, no question.

5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

G1 Dev, it takes an equal like a fellow combiner or Omega Supreme to bring him down, not John Tuturro.

6. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 Devastator: best there is/was/ever will be.

"Starscream's Brigade" right? Umm that's cool and all, though us G1 backers probably would've preferred a Devs clip from another ep or the '86 movie, since this was 2 minutes before new kid Bruticus "devastates" him :tongue:  Don't mind me.

7. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

G1.

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    G1 Devestator surely gets my vote.

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

This is my favourite version of Devastator.

It's the one I had when I was a kid. The box art for this Diaclone set still stands as a personal fave.

Agreed. In fact I hadn't noticed the missing chest plate until you pointed it out! :) 

My current (ongoing) Devastator kitbash project is strongly influenced by the IDW innovations.

G1, for all the reasons above.

For toys, Micromaster Devastator is pretty cool, though of course his reliance on "cheat" parts is even more obnoxious. "Classics" Devastator has some nice qualities, but the duped molds kind of suck. RID Build King (and Devvie repaint) are sweet, especially if you tweak the official combination a bit. The recently unveiled Chinese KO I-can't-believe-it's-not-Devastator is pretty rockin' too.

ROTF Devastator....? Um... there are things I can appreciate in the design, but overall, he just feels wrong. Somewhere between some kind of Bionicle set and something Goblins would build in World of Warcraft. No thanks.

Wait, so you're saying ROTF Devastator is better because he sucks?? ;)  :lol 

zmog

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  10. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

G1, who had the best voice "Prepare for Extermination!"

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think the only fictional character that has to fear movie Devastator would be Sandman from the Spiderman comic books. Sure movie Devastator might be handy if I needed my cat's litter box cleaned out but he can't fight, he can hardly move, and even inanimate objects like the top of a pyramid seem to give him trouble.

If it had been G1 Devastator he would have kicked the twins butt, taken out the top of the pyramid with ease, laughed at the human weapons and then it would have taken the Autobots outwitting him to keep him from swinging the battle for the Decepticons.

Movie Devastator was like one of those hyped up boxing matches where it's going to be the greatest fight ever only for someone to get knocked out in the first round.

12. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

G1. In spite of my sig.

13. Chevluh

Chevluh Well-Known Member

It's good at looking like it could work and I admire it for that, but the hands and head still come out of nowhere, and at places I find difficult to reconcile with the individual constructicon designs.

14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Until they shot with a microscope at him that is.

15. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    It's gotta be the G1 version. He's as dumb as a post, big and imposing. The ROTF version, for all of its visual awesome, simply seems incapable of having a real battle -- "Stay underneath it and you'll be okay!", anyone? G1 Devs, however, beat the living you-know-what out everyone and did the same to Autobot City in the 1986 movie.

16. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    G1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. nitewing73

nitewing73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    G1 Devastator is my favorite. I remember when my little brother got the gift set one Christmas. And he still has it.

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I actually like G2 Devastator best...same design as the original G1 Devastator but in a more common color (yellow) for construction equipment...

19. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

G1, definitely. My favorite combiner is actually Devastator and yeah, the toys had problems, but the above picture is exactly what I'd do if asked to redesign him. I don't miss the awkward chestplate at all. That's money.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    G1. When I think of "combiner", he's the first to come to mind. Unlike every other Scamble-city combiner, G1 Devestator doesn't need foot plates when he's got Mixmaster's cab and the front of Scavenger that work just as well.

Movieverse Devstator...not so much. While it's cool they tried to work him in, all he really can do is shoot giant bucket grappling hooks and suck in things.

Plus Mudflap totally blew up half his face from the inside. G1 Devestator doesn't have that vunerability of Autobots getting inside his head because he sucked them in.