Your favorite style of transformation

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prime Jetscream, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    I think the point is implied in the title, but just to be specific, I don't mean a certain transformer's transformation, but I mean style.

My favorite is either where they spin around and wobble a bit, like WFC Jetfire, or where the robot pulls apart as if to be floating, then pulls back together in a new form.

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I like the Bayformers transformations because they're mostly kept on the move. It's not always a matter of "drive up, stop, pause... transform and stand up". They're racing on highways, careening around corners, drifting, driving off of things or out of things. It's kinetic and I like that. Plus, I also like how their transformations are catered to their particular environment at the time and even their mood. Optimus' transformation in the alleyway is different than his transformation on the highway which is different than his transformation in front of Mearing. Then of course you have characters like Jazz and Soundwave that have a certain capoera/break-dancing motif. Jetfire is slow and broken down, so he has parts falling off and glitching and getting stuck and he has to bang them into place. The Decepticons have a very "sharp" and "heavy" transformations. There's dozens of poignant sounds when they transform, things like gears moving, locking into place, steam hissing, etc., and when we get to see little details that match up with that, it's just fantastic. Always how I pictured advanced, live-action transformations. There's just a lot of uniqueness in the movieverse transformations, which has a lot to do with the medium.

3. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    ^thread won

but seriously, the one thing i like about Bayformers, is that when they transform, they keep their momentum. for example, in TF1, Ironhide was racing towards Brawl in vehicle mode and in order to avoid collision with obstacles and the incoming missiles, he transformed and whilst doing so, he jumped over the missiles, did a barrel roll, jumped out of that, and fired at Brawl. by doing so, he kept up his momentum instead of stopping, transforming, and jumping vertically

4. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Live-Action Films style, definitely. TylerMirage really hit the nail on the head for that one. :wink: 

5. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Agreed. Entirely.

6. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Tylermirage knows what he's talkin about couldn't have said it better myself

7. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    The tactics used in transformation by the movie Transformers are certainly military in nature, designed to keep movement, put weapons into firing position as quickly as possible, and put one in the necessary position to escape quickly. Certainly, this puts them at somewhat of a disadvantage. So many hulking, flying parts, it's a wonder they don't fling themselves apart with a simple turn, and it's been illustrated to great effect how their parts are much less "attached" than blocky Transformers of previous generations. However, it endows them with an odd sort of grace, a weighty athleticism that emphasizes their alien nature; they can backflip while throwing a car, or spin in the air while firing their guns. The realistic aesthetic they bring to the screen is what makes the Movieverse my favorite generation, and what kind of edges Prime out. Though Prime's fights are beautifully choreograped, they're too quick, and don't feel like hulking vehicle brawlers slinging punches and guns. They change forms in a split second, losing the awesome realism and weight of the movies.

Additionally, toys which accomplish the "fly apart and reform" aesthetic really tickle my fancy, and one comes to mind: ROTF Leader Optimus. His leg and foot transformation makes me rightfully giddy, and the way his chest comes together is truly awe-inspiring. I do not say it lightly when I assert that Leader Optimus Prime's Mech Alive is the most amazing "shifting body part" in all of Transformers.

8. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I have to agree with this.

9. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TylerMirage and LCDR Blindside have said everything that I would have said.

10. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This, to be exact.

11. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Movieverse.

Those are the most unique, interesting and cool looking. It's not just toy-like conversions like G1 and the UT or transformations you can barely see like Animated (Well, only sometimes in this case) or Prime.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Toss-up between the incredibly complex, fluid and characterful transformations of the movies with their multitude of noises synced up with the movements, or the supremely characterful, action-oriented and unique transformations of Animated with their liberal use of altered and pitched versions of the Transformation noise. (I'm talking stock footage and design here, like how Bulkhead transforms to smash his fists together, or Megatron crossing his arms)

My least favourite would have to be the UT era where, outside of stock footage, they just spin and transform with not fluidty or method, or Prime where the transformations are jerky and generic. Both these also commit the ultimate sin of using the same noise for all charatcers, regardless of size or shape.

13. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here. The style of transforming is definitely one thing the movies got right.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll agree that kinetic transformations are cool but I hate the movie transformations. I like being able to see where pieces go. I like being able to look at a leg and say that moves to here and this moves here. The movies and Prime both just kinda explode then a robot walks out.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even as someone who isn't really a fan of the movies... I still have to agree with this 100%. Well said.

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

TylerMirage pretty much summed it up for me.

Movieverse, by far.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Unicron Trilogy. I love me some stock footage.

18. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    tylermirage really nailed it with his summary of the movie transformations. the lack of a stupid electronic noise really adds to that.

i also love the kind that prime jetscream said, where a flier transforms and kind of wobbles as its body locks into place. like starscream in the first movie.

19. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    TylerMirage just sent the thread smashing into the earth. Well done, sir. Movieverse by far.

I have nothing against the show, but I'm glad nobody has said Prime's transformations. The vehical does a front flip, a few parts move, and they're on robot mode. Whopee.

20. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I adressed the lackluster nature of Prime's transformations near the end of my post.