Your Favorite Smash Brothers Game?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by eagc7, Feb 28, 2011.

?

Fav SSB Game?

1. Super Smash Bros (N64, 1999)

9.1%
  2. Super Smash Bros Melee (GC, 2001)

18.2%
  3. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii, 2008)

45.5%
  4. I like all 3

22.7%
  5. Smash BROS SUCKS!

4.5%
  1. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Which is your Favorite SSB Game?

Well Hard for Pick for me Since i Enjoy all 3 (mostly Brawl)

Whats your Fav?

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Brawl is my fav. I am godly with snake and lucario.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'm pretty much equally bad at all of them, but I like Brawl the most. I'm a sucker for gimmicks and flashy style.

4. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

*Sighs* Super Smash Bros. When I was but a wee lad, I was hooked on the N64. At THAT time, I was bamboozled by the whole crossover deal. Then when Melee came, I was completely blown away and thought, "smokin' shit, it can't get any better than this!" Unfortunately, I was right as Brawl was so full of fail.

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    love all 3, but I probably like brawl the most (as long as smash balls are turned off)

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Played the Wii version but havn't played the other versions yet but I know they are on the Wii store though.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Melee all the way

8. night-skyward

night-skyward Collects animated, mainly

Brawl easily, at it's core it's the same as melee but looks better and has more characters...

And while gameplay in subspace was a bit clumsy at times, the story (well what was told through cutscenes) was just awesome =D

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the N64 original, it just works.

Played Brawl the other day and after playing other 2d platformers the controls felt slow and too unresponsive to feel fluid.

10. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Melee for sure. Undefeated with Ganondorf.

11. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I play solely with Falco, so i'm coming to this from the perspective of a player of Falco, and thus the abilities and fighting style shifts between games. Also, i rarely played 64, so i can't comment on that.

Between Melee and Brawl, Falco's playstyle i think changed a lot. Melee gave Falco a very dominant, very aggressive playstyle, but not like that wielded by Ganon. Instead of relying on powerful attacks to quickly rack up damage, Falco's blaster made him very good at racking up damage in small bits, whcih quickly added up. His blaster was also the source of his dominance, as his range and stun, along with rapid-fire capabilities, allowed him to freeze enemies with nothing more than that Blaster. In a one on one fight, that can cause huge damage, and Falco's aerial skills are more than capable for dodging others in 4 player melees. That made Falco a hit-and-run character, who's main advantage lied in his long range skills. His attacks all contributed to that effect: Phantasm makes distance between you and the opponent, Fire Bird gives motion in any direction, Reflector nulls the opponents projectile, and finally his Dair spike to punish opponents who tried to jump out of the way of his blaster.

Brawl, having taken away the stun effect of his blaster, made Falco change a lot. There was no more standing on one end of Final Destination and shooting across at everyone else. They could charge you now, even when you're shooting. That practically forced Falco to take on more of an aerial fighting role, and gave his Dair Spike greater prominence, as an air-to-ground weapon, while repurposing Fire Bird as a redirecting tool after said Spike. Reflector's projectile qualities made Phantasm's dangerous drawback slightly less of a problem, as from medium range Reflector could serve as a safer alternative. Overall, that made Falco a lot more active in fighting, having to continuously dance around and alternate between ground and aerial combat to win. While that does increase difficulty, it makes Falco a lot more fun than just standing around and shooting as in Melee.

So, Brawl for me. :D 

12. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Falco was the only character that ever posed a threat to me in melee, but only one of my friends was actually good enough with him to be that threat. Thankfully, due to Ganondorf's slowness it made it super easy for me to time all my attacks perfectly, meaning that any attack or movement made towards me usually resulted in a huge fist or boot to the face. Even though their movesets were pretty much identical, I could never use Captain Falcon as his speediness made him much more difficult to control than Ganon.

13. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Brawl...definitely.

14. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Brawl.
    The original was too boring and Melee was too shit.

15. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Only Smash bros 1 is on the wii virtual console, For play melee you haev to buy it (Wii Can paly Gamecube games)

16. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

The original is a classic, but the stages were absolutely rubbish, aside from Dream Land, Brinstar, and Corneria. The roster was impressive, though, and it was a very bold attempt for Nintendo to render all those characters in 3D for a fighting game. It has its own place in my heart, but I can't deny that it hasn't aged well.

Melee is a work of art. They improved on every aspect of the original with a massive amount of recognizable stages, characters, and moves. Stages like Hyrule Temple, Termina, Pokemon Stadium, Mute City, Jungle Japes, and Onett created completely new experiences, and the cast tripled from the last game, allowing us to play as Zelda, Bowser, Peach, Ice Climbers, and Marth- characters with unique play styles that changed the way matches were played. The single player experience was improved upon as well, bringing us Adventure and All-Star which were both awesome. Giga Bowser was probably the best surprise-boss ever. Trophies were a joy to collect and the coin system simply implied winning fights. However, Melee had far too many clones, and though they boosted the roster, some were downright silly. Pichu, anyone? However, Young Link was one of my favorite characters to play with, and no one can deny the sheer beatdown that Falco could bring. Melee was a competitive game, though, and an experts' one, at that. Techniques like Wavedashing, Directional Influence and Dodging, and L-Canceling could greatly improve one's gameplay, and speed was an asset that could not be ignored, with characters like Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, and Marth dominating the top tiers. It was a fast game by nature, really.

Brawl is simply a polishing of Melee, turning it from an expert's game on par with Street Fighter into a fighting experience that everyone could enjoy. Sure, there is still a learning curve, but this time around, things seem smoother and lighter, both literally and figuratively. Characters float more, everyone's speed is lowered, and movesets are changed- there was a movement away from clone-movesets and an emphasis on individuality- characters may have similar moves, but play styles are drastically different and no two characters can have the same strategy. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf may still have the punches and kicks, but they possess different effects, and the rest of Ganon's moveset is extremely different- he is more of his own character. Likewise, Falco's moveset may still be similar to Fox's, but every move has a different effect or quality- his illusion spikes, his fire falcon has less reach, and his reflector has great added range. Even the slower fighters can put up quite a fight, possessing stunning moves or the ability to travel distances faster with new techniques. Characters like Pit, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, Dedede, and Ike offer new play styles that are unlike anything seen in the series prior, and Lucario in specific implements the old moveset of Mewtwo with some added interest. And of course, the introduction of 3rd party characters makes this game incredibly fun- pitting Snake against anyone is a blast, and Mario and Sonic can finally duke it out. The stages once again received upgrades, introducing new twists on old classics and new locales with sweeping backgrounds- which surprisingly don't take away from the fighting that much. Melee stages are included and the stage creation is simple, but fun, especially if you want some proving ground to test pure fighting skill. Items such as smash balls and assist trophies make every match a toss-up, though the item-less fights are still just as enjoyable. Trophies return en masse, though collecting them seems a little less interesting this time, IMO. The new trophy game is fun, though. Stickers are also interesting, and the challenge board offers intense objectives to complete. Of course, co-op adventure and all-star is always fun, as is mission mode.

Anyway, I really enjoy all three games, but what I love about the series is that it has continued to evolve and become more and more enthralling. Even though Brawl didn't increase the roster that much, it made each fighter so much more individual and interesting that I can still enjoy it just as much as Melee- and I don't have to get into technical moves like wavedashing. Brawl is the best, no doubt, but the next Smash Bros. will topple it easily with the new characters and features- that is what makes the series so entertaining!

17. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Brawl. In fact I just picked it up and started playing it again. The only things that I'm disappointed with are the tripping and the low gravity. It would make sense if a couple of characters (Kirby, Jigglypuff, Peach) were floaty, but not all of them.

It would be nice to have a "Gravity" setting.

18. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    First off, I don't care for tiers/competitive play.

I want to say Brawl, but it took away Dr Mario, Pichu, and my precious, precious Mewtwo. I can forgive removing the Doctor and the mouse, but NOT the creepy, psychic, floating, not-actually-physically-holding-anything abomination of SCIENCE!!

They could have at least added another freaky character. Or Fawful. Fawful forgives all.