Your favorite series...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ShawnL7, May 28, 2007.

1. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

I must say, my favorite series by far has to be G1. I think Hasbro and Takara actually took the time to make quality products. The ingenuity and creativity behind some, or most, of the toys were just incredible. Granted, some were kinda cheap [cheaper] and could have been made better. And some [like Arcee] could have been produced to make us fans and collectors that much more satisfied with the releases.
    I've always had a thing about how some of the bigger TFs and cities should have been made bigger. They did a great job with Fort Max. Hell, even Scorponok was quite big. But for a decepticon base and city Trypticon could've been made bigger. Even some of the minicons wouldnt look right stationed atop and around the base. Then there is Metroplex. Bigger... I tell you. He looks really small next to Fort Max. And in robot mode wasnt very much taller than Blaster. And what about Omega Supreme, or even Astrotrain? I defintely couldnt fit a decepticon inside of him.
    I've come to the realization that for these toys to have been made on a large scale; they would've had to been scaled down to an affordable size. I meen come on, how affordable would SkyLynx have been [for example] if you could fit at least five average size autobots inside of him in shuttle mode! ? I know that as a kid, I didnt have the meens to afford many of the originals. Or especially the larger ones. Which is why I've taken to collecting those ones now.
    Year one was great. maybe a little more decepticons right off the bat though. Year two they came out with the Dinobots. And still my favorites. Arguably one of the best years was 1987. But I still cant make up my mind. I especially like the Predacons. Which could've made more appearances in the cartoons. And all of the combiners, for that mattter.
    I was especially happy to see the Comemoritive edition Transformers come out a while back. It was my chance to scoop up some original remakes for a decent price once again. Made from the original molds with some nice boxes. And didnt change some of the colors as in the G2 line. I'm still waiting to see if they will continue these and make more of the originals. At first it appeared that they had intended on only reproducing the Series one Tfs. Which if that was the case, where was Megatron??? I was dissapointed this one didnt get remade. After-all he was an impotant figure in shaping the saga and series. And what about the combiners. Oh wait,... dont even get me started on that! If they had reproduced even one of the combiner sets, they would've had to make them all. And that's a Lot of TFs. But then again, in G2 Devastator was the only combiner remade. and in two colors. What's the deal? The only good thing about these being so limited is that it doesnt take alot to complete the collection of them.
    I would have to agree that Takara has done things right lately. They have remade more of the originals and in sweet boxes. Some with even more accesories than the original packages. And I'm not left wondering where Megatron is anymore. I look forward to collecting even more of these. For one, they're also affordable and made with superb quality.
    I never really got into Beast Wars too much. Nor did I care much for the pretenders line, Cybertron, RID, Universe, Armada or very much of the real recent stuff. That's not to say I'm taking anything away from these series. After all, it wasnt until The Armada line they brought back Unicron in the Unicron Battles. And 'finally',... he was born. I remember getting him as soon as he was released. And the4n ther was the darker colored one. Now I can understand even more why he was made at the size he was. If Unicron was made bigger than Fort Max, just how affordable would he have been? I think 'most' of the quality goods were with the originals. When they actually came made with metal.
    I've taken an interest in the Alternators though. they're all moderately difficult to transform and have alot of detail. And once again were made at an affordable price. Wouldnt be very difficult to aquire this complete collection either.
    Then, of course, there's the Binaltech Tfs and the masterpeice ones. Which are all made with brilliance. I know I'm leaving out some of the lines and remakes, but just thought I'd share that. What has been your favorite series?

2. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

Masterpiece series is my most anticipated series...
    G1 contains my holy grails (Fort Max, Black Zarak, Grand Max, Combiners).
    I drool when I see other's G1 collections...

3. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Wow, ok, when I'm more awake I will attempt to read that....

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I dont have a favourite. I like them all (Ok. Maybe not Machine Wars or Beast machines).

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    gobots

6. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

My favourtie series? GI JOE... oh wait.

For TRANSFORMERS, I'm torn between RID and Movie stuff.

7. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Beast Wars. In my opinion the toys are better constructed, and the show is still to this date the best written and action paced transformers series released.

8. TheShape

TheShape Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i like series 4 of gen1 the best.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Alternators, licensed alt modes and G1 homages FTW.

10. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Show: Beast Wars
    Toys: Binaltech/Alt's

11. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

all g1 g2 lines

12. AMG

AMG Old School

G1 followed closely by Beast Wars, in both toys and show.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nope. Superion and Bruticus were released too.

The originals are actually pretty damn fragile compared to modern TFs. The plastic today is stronger, and not having metal actually improves the sturdiness. Metal parts chip, rust, and the paint flakes off them pretty easily. They also wear down the plastic that they're connected to, which can make joints loose (like G1 soundwave and blaster).

Of course, I love G1. it was a huge line with unsurpassed variety. I love how unique the old designs were, and how fleshed out the characters were in their tech specs. Throw in stuff like Fortress Maximus, and you have one hell of an epic toyline. The modern toys have G1 beat when it comes to posability, sculpting, and overall quality, but you just dont get that incredible variety that G1 had anymore.

for show, I prefer Beast Wars, with Galaxy Force (not cybertron) being second. Energon is at the bottom, followed by G1 and RID.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    G1 had the best show and the best toys/gimmicks.

15. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Show: G1-BW
    Toys: G1-Cybertron-Classics-Alts

16. DVD

DVD Well-Known Member

Without a doubt, the Movie line/story. I've waited 20+ years to see live action Transformers. Ever since I was a kid I dreamed about seeing cars/trucks/vehicles transform into giant robots, and now this kid's dream has come true. *Nothing* can top that.

17. WheatiesBoy

WheatiesBoy Destroyer

although I despise the tv series but Transformers robots in discuise had the best toys. very detailed, rubber tires, clever transformations.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The G1 show will always be my fav for nostalia reasons. My fav toyline is Classics, Cybertron and RiD.

19. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, favourite TV show is definitely Beast Wars. Very well written, good characters, and (for the time) very good animation.

As for toy series, Beast Wars NEO. There's definitely been a lot to like about each series, but NEO 'clicked' with me the most. The 'new' mold NEO toys are all fantasic, and the repaints are all pretty good. The alt-mode selection, especially on the Cybertrons'/Maximals' side are nice and varied. It's the only line that I ever felt compelled to track down every single figure to complete the whole collection.

20. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Toys: G1, Binal/Alts, Classics & Masterpiece.

Shows: G1 only.