Your embarrassing collector moment...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dontuhatepants, Aug 28, 2012.

1. dontuhatepants

dontuhatepants Active Member

So I had a delivery sent to the office and it arrived today.

Send it to the office I said..

No one will know what's in it I said..

... Won't be doing that again...

[​IMG]

So I can't be the only one with a story like this... Anyone want to share?

2. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

:lol  nice :bowdown: 

3. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could always just say that was just the box they shipped it in, and the contents were different. ;) 

While I can't say I've gotten an awkward shipping box, I did receive a package of used toys that were packed in someone's underwear and used clothing. Needless to say, I wasn't terribly thrilled with that.

4. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why be embarrased?

5. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Exactly. Own up to your love of Transformers and embrace it!

6. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    lol, who cares

7. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I've never had an Embarrassing Collector Moment, because I've never been embarrassed by the fact I collected Transformers. Just about everyone that has known me longer than a few weeks knew about it anyway, and if it bothered someone that was their problem....

8. dsprks75

dsprks75 Well-Known Member

Wow... Way to shoot down this guy's thread...

This was a few years ago. I was returning a Power Rangers something-or-other to a Target by where I work and the girl that helped me had to be one of the hottest chicks on the planet... And there I was Capt Fantastic... With my Power Rangers junk...

9. TFPrimeReborn

TFPrimeReborn Well-Known Member

:bowdown: :drool: 

10. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    pretty much.

the only thing I personally don't like is when I'm buying TF's and my wife says something to the walmart clerk like "there's another one for the collection! we have so many already!".

I honestly don't care what other people think of me, it's just the point that I don't care to share any information regarding my personal life with walmart employees. I'm happy to discuss TF's with them if they say something like "oh cool I had these when I was a kid", but I don't make an effort to share my hobbies or interests with people I don't know...especially those that don't share a common interest.

My wife had a hard time getting this and thought I was embarrassed by it for the longest time. When I finally explained it though, she stopped doing it. Not really embarrassment, I just have no intention of being friends or sharing my personal hobbies with a walmart clerk.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The only time I've been remotely embarrassed to be a toy collector is when I'm waiting outside for TRU to open and there's a bunch of Hot Wheels assholes as well. I make it a point to tell everyone that I'm just there for Transformers and have nothing to do with them.

Seriously, grown ass men running- no, scratch that- hobbling... a fast-paced waddle, to their Hot Wheels aisles over some Treasure Hunts.

12. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

I simply don't give a f*ck what others think! I actually have some TF's displayed on my desk (RTS Legends OP and WST Grimlock), not to mention some M.U.S.C.L.E. men and even a Decepticon logo mousepad en route which will be in the office soon enough. And you know you what? I'm still a boss! Represent bitches!

13. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why hide it? Through posting MTMTE quotes and collection photos on Facebook, most of my co-workers know about my love of all things involving giant frigging robots. I'm in no way embarrassed/ashamed.

14. Risko_Vinsheen

Risko_Vinsheen Well-Known Member

My aunt took me on a bit of a shopping spree recently (note: I'm in my 20s, and shopping with my 70-something aunt is awkward enough at times) and I picked up a few Halo Mega Bloks sets at Target. The cashier asked my aunt if she wanted a gift receipt for the toys and she responded with "No, the person they're meant for is right here."

I'm not ashamed of my collecting habits but that doesn't mean it can't still be awkward at times when dealing with people who you can't be sure are the same way.

15. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    :lol 

16. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I had toys delivered to work all the time - my colleagues knew of my collection. I was rather embarrassed once, though, as sometimes they were shipped in outer casings that weren't originally for Transformers.

I had no problem with the ones shipped in Star Wars or MotU outer casings, but I think one was shipped in a Barbie or MLP outer at one point... was not a happy camper :eek: 

17. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah I think you're pretty much in my boat. I honestly just don't like sharing personal information with someone I've never met and will probably never speak to again, who likely doesn't share any common interests.

lady at tj max who refers to thundercats as "thunderbirds" and tells me about what her grandkids collect? yeah, just nodding my head and getting out. target employee that spots a new TF fig at the register and goes "oh cool I just put out this wave this morning", well that at least says he's knowledgeable regarding the figure and it may spark a conversation. but I don't make an effort to tell a cashier "HEY DOOD I'M A TF COLLECTOR AND HAVE HUNDREDS ISN'T THAT TOTALLY AWESOME!" :lol 

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no embarrassing moments anymore, i think in public school i got the nickname transformer boy for a while in grade 8, but that went away, now, i couldn't care less what they think,

19. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

It was embarassing when I'd have room inspections and get caught with a Powermaster Prime sitting in my wall locker. Collecting toys must never be spoken of in the army. That being said, I don't care now that I'm on the outside. It's not a good idea to be making it obvious when you bring girls home for the night though.

20. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Tru employees are more accepting of collectors, because a lot of them are collectors as well.