Your chance to talk me out of it (Macross related)

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Seth Buzzard, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I know the Yamato stuff is considered the best and I really want to get at lest one some day but the bottom line is it’s just to much to spend on one toy for me right now.

I have a Bandai but want to try something different so I’m thinking of getting one or two Toynami, or more specifically from the Robotech Masterpiece collection… They are the same thing right? So here is your big chance Macross people lay it out, either defend the Toynami as being not as good but worth the price or tell me to resist and dazzle me with all the reasons why I’m better off having no Valks at all rather then getting the filthy Toynami’s.

All so let it be known I ordered an Alpha Fighter that should come some time next week.

2. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you must spend money on a toy, spend it on the best. Why buy two Robotmaster Convoys when you'll get so much more satisfaction from just one 20th Anniversary Prime?

Get the Yamato 1/48. You will not regret it. You just might with the others. :) 

3. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Two robotmaster Convoy's are still Cheaper than on MP Prime...

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I almost bought a Toynamie Valk once. They had like 8-10 at the store but every single one was either missing parts and pieces or broken inside the box. That experience pretty much killed any interest I might have had in these.

That and I almost never hear anything good about these versions from anyone. From what I hear there the laughing stock of the Macross fandom.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

6. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Yeah I had one, I got it on clearance, I still returned it

7. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    I do want to get a 1/48 the problem being the styles that I really would want are not readily available. The stealth one looks cool but I don’t have any sort of attachment to that paint scheme. The DDRL VF-1A Max type is coming and I dig Max but my Bandai is a 1A (cannon fodder).

I’m so conflicted. If I knew Yamato was going another run on the Max 1J’s in TV colors it would be easier to wait.

8. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I would not waste my money on a toynami Valk. Just wait until you can get a Yamato 1/48.

9. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If Yamato knows there's demand, eventually they will do another run of the TV colors. And judging by current ebay prices on the Max, they'll see demand. They milk that 1/48 mold like nobody's business. And I'm not complaining one little bit.

The real problem with the Toynami Valks (excuse me, Veritechs) is that they are, essentially, a restilized Bandai. There's not THAT much difference between them. If you see them side-by-side, you'd see some line differences, but more similarities than differences.

And the killer for me is, at that price, you get a brick. The arms move, but those legs are locked in on hard-solid-metal.

Here's my advice: You have two options.

1) Save your money, and keep it in a "someday" fund until you CAN afford a Yammie 1/48.

2) Hit up eBay and buy a Yammie 1/60th. They aren't perfect, but I have seven of them and love them even AFTER picking up a 1/48. The 1/48 of course blows them away, but the 1/60ths are inexpensive at the moment, and still loads of fun. They make a terrific tide-me-over for the 1/48s in my mind.

Notice that buying a Toynami wasn't one of the options? Yeah.

I mean, you CAN buy a Toynami, and you may even enjoy it having never known a modern, high quality Valk first hand. But from everything I've heard and seen, the quality control is always suspect at best, and even if it's perfect you're still stuck with a brick from the chest down.

Toy technology has come a long way since the Bandai mold was introduced. Toynami remembered that in the upper half of the body, then seemed to forget it in the lower half.

Good luck in your decision. And whatever you end up getting, I hope you enjoy it.

(This was written while stroking the box of a 1/48 GBP armor set and glancing at a 1/48 VF-1J. No time tonight, but man is THAT going to be fun.)

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I think Prime will agree and it's Yamato 1:48 or nothing.

[​IMG]

11. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Between my brother and I we got almost all of the Toyami MP Valks although it's because 1) cheaper than Yamato 2) by its name Masterpiece we assumed it's got quality in spades 3) it has the Alpha series which Yamato don't have. I haven't opened them so I can't vouch for their quality but if their articulation below the waist is as bad as Bandai then I'll say go with Yamato instead. I may get Yamato 1/48 just to see what all the hoopla's about.

12. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I have a lot of the Masterpiece Collection, and i can honestly say im not at all dissapointed. :D 

13. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

Isn't 2 toynamis about the same price as one 1/48 yamato?
    I remember when I heard about the toynamis I wanted one (this was before I knew about the yamatos), then I handled one I thought it wasn't even as nice as my old Jetfire. I do like the book packaging almost better than the actual toy. I've checked out a tonami VF-1J Rick my friend has and tried to pose it, I was pretty dissapointed. I actually think the Bandai 1/55 or Jetfire are superior to the toynami. Obviously I think the yamatos are far superior to both.

I have a Masterpiece Scott alpha, which has alot of metal parts and is actually a much better piece than the toynami VF-1. The only thing with is is it won't hold together well in fighter mode and its really small.

First one I got is the only one, Skull -1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1/48 Size next to Jetfire 1/55
    [​IMG]

14. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    The Toynami Alpha fighters are well done and I love the book packaging. The VFs are not that great and not really worth the money, IMO, and I sell them.

The 1:48 really is the way to go. Even the 1:60 stuff, while it is OK, I just can't stand that you have to remove the legs to transform it. Great for poseability but just does not cut it in my books.

I have both the Max and the Kakizaki coming in and I intend on painting them to their show accurate colours, then I can have all three of them together and if I can just make myself a good Bretai figure, I can make a great diorama.

Spencer.

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a 1:60 Yamato, and it rocks.

I bought a 1:48 for my bro and it absolutely was the sweetest thing you ever did see. Don't buy a crappy version, save uup for a 1:48 Yamato.

16. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I'm also waiting for DYRL Max and Kakizaki so I can finish my Skull Squadron.

To the original poster I'd definitely want to get at least ONE 1/48. Slighly expensive but once you see it in your hands it's like no other 1/55 Bandai or Toynami.

17. Seth Buzzard

News Credits:
    Ok you guys talked me out of it and temptation has passed. I’ll start keeping an eye on e-bay. With all the over time I have been getting this week I might just have to splurge. I’ll shoot for 1/48 but if I see a 1/60 of a model I really like or it’s just an awesome price I’ll jump on it.

And Golgo-13 your 1S looks extra sweet with the panels out lined. Did you use one of those pens I have seen for paneling or did you paint it in?

18. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

Stay away from anything by Banpresto. Those awful things are the REAL laughingstock. There are some 1/100 scale Macross Valks coming out soon- they look pretty good, but they're small.

I got a Masterpiece Ben Dixon for $40 plus $5 for shipping, and it's a pretty good value for the price. The downsides: the legs swing down in jet mode all the time because of diecast in the legs and poor peg system to keep them in place; one hand was assembled poorly so it can't make a fist or hold a gun very well; no lateral articulation in the hips so you can't have a wide stance. Aside from that, it's not bad at all.

I would find a cheap MP version and see if that satisfies your Macrosslust. If not, get a Yamato.

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Ok those pics of Yamato 1/48 VF-1S has me really wanting one now. Since I love Blue Max I want to know if Yamato has it in 1/48 scale. Thanks. I may get Zero Macross instead since it's a new mold.

20. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I received the 1/100 Toynami ones a few weeks ago. They are interesting and I guess the $25 price tag is not too bad but not something I personally would invest it. I have broken two of the stands (I always open one of the cool toys for the store so I have first hand knowledge of it) as the part that hold the figure on the stand is made of very thin plastic. The legs have a hard time staying in place when in Gerwalk mode. The plastic feel is a lot softer than their larger counterparts so they tend to bend and feel not as well put together.

They are OK for 1:100 scale but more of a desktop novilty than a real toy IMO. They have the VF-1S, Max VF-1A, Icherio VF-1. Series 2 will have the Icherio VF-J, the Max VF-1J and the Myria VF-1J. The Icherio 1J looks like it would be cool.

These could be even better if they had a little bit of armour on them.

Bandai did some great kits in 1:72 scale about 10 years ago. These kits are transformable and if you have any model skils are worth trying to pick up, if you can find them.
    Hasegawa's kits are also amazing but do not transform. They have done many cool ones tho including the Ostrich, YF-21 and the YF 19. The detail on them are second to none but again, you need to be a good modeler to put these ones together.

Spencer.