your best "i almost died once" stories....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ill start....i was living in florida, think i was in 4th or 5th grade, and my dad is a pilot....so we rented a plane for the family to fly to chicago for a family reunion...its a small little 6 person cesna...2 seats up from, my dad and me, door on passenger (my) side...in the back, my mom with my little bro and sis...door on opposite side....we've jsut taken off, and are making a right turn, plane tiltled and all of a sudden, the door next to me pops open.... i look to my right, and can see a few hundred feet down to the ground below, well actually, a river, my mom freaks out and almost as quickly as it happens my dad reaches across the plane, pulling the door shut, and holding it like that while landing the plane....the lock apparently busted just after takeoff....so we switched planes and left an hour later....with me back up front.....next to the door....

now its your turn....

2. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

My friend and I were going home for Christmas - he was driving. We were on the the downside of the pass (by pass I mean a pass through the mountains) that separates northern Idaho and Montana, around midnight in a blizzard. We begin fishtailing and I look to my right and see that we are right beside the railing and I can actually see over it and down the mountain. We correct and end up sideways on the other side of the Interstate with a big truck heading straight for us. Luckily, he was going uphill so we were able to get out of the way and we finished the trip down the mountain at about 15 miles per hour.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got a pretty good one, and it's already on the net! Sugar coated telling of events can be found here.

More details: I'm the one with the stylish hat and sunglasses. It was around 45-50 celcius (110-120 farenheit), and we really did come kinda close to perishing. We were all hallucinating (I saw a huge turtle and other weird stuff). Did we drink our own urine? I'll leave it up to you to decide.

So yes, probably the most painful and anguishing thing I've ever experienced. It really is an unbelievably intense and horrible, uh, thing. Very difficult to actually describe it. I feel pretty bad for Africa.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well not died or anthing but I was driving along on a toy hunt around winter time. I was speeding up a clover leaf onramp and my car did a 360 spin.. A little scary but no crash or anthing..

5. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I was at the beach with my family and they had a small little pond area so the kids could play and not get hurt or drown. Well, I was in the middle of the pond and my foot hit sand that was not as packed as it should be abd I started to sink and began to drown. I was thrashing around and couldn't get a foot hold to pull myself up. My sister ended up seeing me and swam over and pulled me free.

6. ErikB

ErikB TF Master

while i was out hiking near Axtec, NM my friend and i were around 2 miles outside the town and we came over a ridge to a god awful smell. We kept walking a bit and turned a small bend. Right there in front of us was a puma (mountain lion). about 9 foot long, a big female, and she had just killed a deer. i think the onlty reason she didn't bother attacking us was that she must have just eaten. a week later a farmer killed it on his ranch.

7. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

When I lived in BC my house had a REALLY steep driveway. I decided the bottom part wasn't that bad and rollerbladed down it because I was tired of side stepping my way down. Well I was wrong and ended up falling into the road and got hit by a car.

8. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

I did one of these about ten years ago:

[​IMG]

Probably the single dumbest thing I've ever done.

9. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

I love the illustration. :D 

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    When I was like four year old, I had my mother tie a towel around my neck. You can guess what I did next right? I climbed out of the window(while my folks were asleep) and I was about to jump until me father grabbed me. Lucky he woke up. I would have landed on my head.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have a few, but th best one:

When I was 5 I lived in Daytona Fl in a trailer park with my mom, we were driving home from my grandmother's on Christmas eve. I kept laying down in the back seat of the car and my mom kept yelling at me to sit up, saying that if he had an accident I could be killed if I was laying down.

We were stopped at a red light waiting to turn left into the entrance of the trailer park, of course I had not listened to my mom and was laying down in the back seat, when suddenly WHAM a drunk driver rear-ended us going almost 60 miles per hour. Our grand prix crumbled into an unrecognizable heap of metal. the entire rear-end of the car was pushed into the front end - all I really remember was seeing my baby brother's car seat through the space between the two front seats go flying into the floor in the front of the car.

The next thing I remember was waking up in an ambulance, the back doors were still open and I was sitting there looking at the smashed piles of metal that uses to be cars when a huge truck came along and smashed into the two wrecked cars, and they caught on fire!

ON the way to the hospital the EMT in the back of the ambulance with us was checked out my baby brother and I, my brother was shaken up but OK, the car seat had done it's job, I was virtually unscathed.

The EMT asked me where I was sitting in the car, I told him I was laying down in the back seat.

He told me I was a very lucky little boy, then told my mom something that I couldn't hear and her face turned white.

Years later I learned that the EMT had told her that if I had been sitting up, my head would have been taken clean off...

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I got thrown off a horse I was riding and landed on my head, I spent a few hours in the emergency room. When I woke up being put in the ambulance before i got to the emergency room I couldn't remember anything who I was, where I was. This was just this past December too. I still remember asking who I was, where am I. Then like I was like "I don't remember leaving my house, it must be a dream" and then the lady from the barn was like "it isn't a dream" and then I saw the barn and realized I must have gotten there some how. But I still can't remember the accident I remember getting on the horse walking around, trotting then the horse trotting too fast so I stopped him, and I gave him some more rein. and that is all I remember.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Lesse...a few incidents, all involving myself and my HS friends in my VW bug, aka The Fahrfegnugen! Chronicles.

The first was like the second day I even had that car at 16. We left campus for lunch. It was raining/wet, and when were turning left out of the Taco Bell parking lot the back of the car decided it wanted to keep going. We did what was technically a 270 I guess, and were facing the wrong way on the street...looking at an 18-wheeler maybe 100 feet away heading right for us. :eek:  Luckily there was a cross street across from the parking lot exit that we were able to pull into quickly and avoid getting run over by a mack truck.

Second incident, either summer after junior or senior year, we were going down this road, the last part of which is down maybe a 40 degree hill and ends in a T-intersection with a 5-lane road (2 each way and a turn lane). Unbeknownst to me, the parking brake on the bug was not down all the way, which means when I stepped on the brakes to stop the car at the very much red light at the bottom of the hill...nothing happened. :eek:  I pumped the crap out of them, to little avail. There's a massive ditch on either side of the road, so that was no good. There's a car already stopped at the damn light and one sticking out into the intersection on the main road waiting to turn left onto the street we were on..thus, while there was enough room to pass to the right of the car stopped at the light, doing so would have meant running into the other guy. So we swerved into the opposite lane and then barreled across 5 lanes into the Circle K parking lot on the other side of the intersection. Sooo many things that could have gone wrong with that maneuver. I think we sat there for 20 minutes and chain smoked to calm our nerves....and let the brakes cool off.

And last but not least...

This was no ordinary bug. My dad got the shell of the car from a mutual friend of a friend of his that works exclusively with old VWs. We fixed up the body and interior together with help from said VW guy..who also had a bug engine that had at one point been in another car and now it was just laying around. It had been tweaked and used to race by said VW guy. He didn't need/want it anymore so he dropped it into my car and did some other cosmetic stuff, dropped the front end, etc. And..damn.
    Me and my friends were on our way back from a water park in New Braunfels, a town about 50 miles south of Austin. Once on the highway, we engaged in an ill-advised experiment to see just how fast this thing could go. The speedometer only went up to 90, with maybe a 15 mph gap between that and the 0. I had it looped around to about the 15, so 120ish mph. :eek: 
    A bigger danger than getting busted IMO, was losing control of the car by running over say, a cigarette butt. We'd have either skidded off the road and landed in a mangled heap...or landed in Oklahoma in several pieces.
    Luckily, no cops or small objects in the road impeded us from getting home in about 25 minutes.

Man, I miss that car. :D 

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been in some car wrecks and had close calls in traffic. But one time it was late at night and I was wearing mostly black. Bear in mind I live in a bad neighborhood. I was running down the street to my car and some police thought I was a burglar running from a crime scene. They pulled their cruiser next to me and threw the spotlight on me with guns drawn and told me to hit the ground. They asked for my wallet. It showed that I lived down the street and they told me not to look so suspicious next time. Having those 2 cops pull guns on me counted as a near death experience in my book.:redface2: 

15. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Opening manholes in the middle of a 4 lane highway (for my job). We had signs up in both directions, truck with flashie lights, cones, reflective vests, the whole shebang. Still we had someone cut through all of that and drive over the open manhole. Thankfully I managed to see the guy driving like crazy further down the road and got out of the way. Dude managed to get his tire to drop through the mother of all potholes and screw up his truck recognizably enough to have the police find and arrest him. DUI+Dangerous Driving+Other Random "bad driving" charges=mucho probation.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I was driving a big truck on a two lane road. I met another bigger truck on a narrow bridge right in a blind curve. We smacked mirrors only ( measurements of the trucks and the bridge indicate they should not have been able to fit on there at the same time ). A big piece of glass from my mirror flew in the window and hit me in the face. It hit my chin on the left side of my face so hard, it chipped the bone. While the doctor was stitching me up, he said that judging by the chipped bone, the glass was flying fast enough to have gone completely through my neck and killed me had it been a half inch lower, missing the bone.

17. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I was born three weeks early with Hyaline Membrane Disease, which, long explanation short, means that my lungs weren't fully developed, and every time I took a breath a little bit more of my lungs would collapse, making it harder to breathe. Now this was back in the late 70s, so the best the doctors could do was tell my mom "Well, he's probably not gonna make it past three days, so you better get the hospital chaplain to do an emergency baptism. You don't want him to end up in Limbo will all the other dead unbaptized babies and godless heathens now, do you?" My mom doesn't like to talk about it, but from what I've gotten out of her, I gather it was really touch and go there for a while, and by all accounts, I should be dead.

18. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I took this photo (the bolt struck the building I was next to, I'm certain):

[​IMG]

Twice while white water rafting (photos are from the first time, the second time was the only time in my life that I truly felt like it was over, and that was that and I was dead):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And while as an infant, I had a rare disease that left me hospitalized for months, and it's quite rare for someone that age to live with out at LEAST permanent organ damage.

19. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

I'll make this simple. Ice road + me driving a Jeep + meets a tree= a very damaged Jeep and a whiplashed me. If I wasn't wearing a seatbelt I would have died or be very brain damaged.

20. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Little Leauge Baseball...I was maybe 10. I was the catcher and a batter swung hard and the bat slammed into my head, it knocked off my head gear and I was left unconcious for a few minutes. when i woke up there was a circle of people looking at me laying on the ground...talk about a bad headache...

I live in Massachusetts and I've driven in some serious snow storms. One time I did a 360 on a major highway...it seemed to happen in slow motion...i really thought I was gonna get smashed into...lucky for me everyone was far apart from everyone else.