Your best and worst impulse buys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, May 23, 2011.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    We all have them. Money burning a hole in your pocket, walking down that toy aisle, something catches your eye and you snatch it up to the register without even thinking.

Sometimes we are more than happy with our purchase, but other times...we end up with something that pains us to even look at.

Now for me, I consider an impulse buy something I get without really thinking about it or having intended to get it prior to picking it up off the pegs.

Which is which for you?

For me, worst impulse buy is an easy, easy call. 2007 movie Payload. I passed on Wreckage for it. Dear God was that a waste of money. Horrible figure that falls apart and suffers immensely for a stupid gimmick.

My best impulse buy..that one is a bit trickier I think. I've had some really good luck with them, even just recently. Now like I said I consider an impulse something I bought without any prior intention or thought to it, so while I'd include something like the Universe pack with Ratbat and Springer, I had done a bit of looking on the set and decided I already wanted the figures in it so I can't really consider it one even if when I got it it was kinda on an impulse.

So while maybe not my absolute best, gonna go with the most recent that turned out good for me. Cyberverse Commander Class Blackout. What a damn cool little guy. Hard to stand sometimes, but man is he awesome, and a targetmaster to boot.

2. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Worst? That would probably be Animated voyager Megatron. I put off buying him as I already had the awesome leader version, but I picked this guy up on a whim at clearance and eww. Horrible, nasty. Tight joints + floppy plastic are a bad combo, and one hell of an ugly alt mode. He went on ebay that evening.

Best? Hmm, Universe Powerglide. I thought He looked iffy in pics, but I took a chance and I ended up loving the big lug.

I'd also have to give an honorable mention to beast wars sonar and Optimus minor as the best impulse buys. Not because the're particularly good figures, but by picking them up in my local poundstretcher for £2 each one day back in 2000, it rekindled my interest in transformers, and with the internet now at my fingertips, I was drawn in to what has been a steady hobby since.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm pleasently surprised quite a bit so it would take me awhile to narrow it down to just one 'best' impulse buy.

Worst is the better part of Animated. I'm currently trying to rectify that by selling them off.

4. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Best? Probably Sidearm Sideswipe. He was the last of that long stretch of HFTD shelfwarmers that I had much interest in, so I grabbed him. He really is a great toy.

Worst? Either PCC Windburn or DOTM Voyager Ironhide. Windburn's just kinda "meh", but I didn't have Searchlight, so yeah. Ironhide's just an awful toy. I'm kicking myself for not getting Optimus instead...

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well be honest, I can't really think of any "bad" impulse buys that I've had to live with in regards to Transformers, as the few that I've made have worked out well. Part of this has to do with my parents often making me think about toys before I bought them, as a couple of days can do wonders in regards to knowing whether you actually want what's in the package, or whether you're just wanting to buy something new that stood out on the shelves. If anything, I can't even remember the ones that I stopped caring about after leaving them behind (good sign I guess), and mainly remember the ones like TM Rattrap that ended up being sold when I returned the next day.

Games, clothes & other shit are a totally different story, but I've been lucky when it came to toys & other figures.

Then when it comes to my "best" impulse buys, these awards would probably go to my Dark Skyfire & 2007 Mixmaster, neither of which were even really that random. They were just figures that I had no intention of getting when I first became aware of their existence, Skyfire because of the price & accessibility (always loved the transformers, but I wasn't willing to spend 90+ dollars before shipping on it), and Mixmaster because I was lead to believe that it sucked ass by way of unfavorable images & whatnot.

... however, when I was browsing around KOtoys with the intent of just buying a gold'chrome legends Bumblebee, I came across Dark Skyfire in their clearance area & knew I had to get it. Mixmaster wasn't on sale (still had to pay the full 30+ tax), but I'm really glad to have impulsed on him too. Oh yeah, and then there's this little anime girl that's sitting on top of my monitor. Pretty glad to have picked her up as well. :) 

6. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Worst was rotf Breakaway. Horrible, horrible figure, and I hate F-35s. Best was Acid Storm, who dragged me back into this wonderful world after an absence of nearly 25 years, and kickstarted my CHUG obsession. So thanks, obscure Rainmaker.

7. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Worst:
    2007 premium Leader Megatron, loose from another collector for $30. I got him because I felt I needed a movie meg to go with my leader Prime. He sits in the closet now.

Best:
    HFTD HA Jazz. Saw it on sale for $8.24 and could not pass that up. Turns out I like this figure quite a bit, even if it is of a dead token transformer.

8. Superpredaking

Superpredaking Brave Reviewer

Best - CHMS Ghost starscream - didn't really want him, but bought him because he was on offer and now I love him

Worse - G1 Galvatron off ebay - saw him at the last minute of the auction and he looked a good buy, until I got him and realised he was covered in permanent marker....

9. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Worst buy was probably doing a grab and snatch on ultimate Devastator.

Best impulse buy, well, can it be an impulse in this case? Maybe. Iwas looking at the Generations WFC Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee and Soundwave. When I saw Takara had them as well I didn't even do a double take at the price and bought the Takara's. Lets just say I was more than pleasantly surprised, and my first ever Takara's.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Best is Cryotek. At the time, all I was buying was G1 toys, but I thought "this guy looks impressive, maybe I'll pick him up." And he pretty much single-handedly changed my opinion on modern toys.

I'd like to give special mention to Storm Cloud. I knew I was gonna buy Powerglide just for my "core G1" cast, even if I wasn't sure about the mold. I didn't think I'd buy his redeco too, but one day I did... and ended up really liking it more than Powerglide. One of my favorite impulse buys, even if not the absolute most defining one.

Worst is... I dunno. Maybe Animated Skywarp. I bought it to "complete" my Skywarp collection and ended up being really disappointed with it. The QC, articulation, and transformation were all annoying.

11. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Wow!

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    My best impulse buy? Warbot Defender.

Worst? The TFA Jet Twins. Sold them off not too long ago.

13. ifightfortheuse

ifightfortheuse Well-Known Member

My best impulse buy would have to be Classics Rodimus when I visited Disney World way back when. It rekindled my love of Transformers and started my collection of classic style figures.

My worst impulse buy would have to be the Universe Legends 5-pack. Not because of the figures quality, but just the fact that I didn't need the figures for my collection

14. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Best - Classics 2010 Unicron from BBTS :) 
    Worst - Botcon 2007 Clear Mirage for $200 :( 

15. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Worst impulse buy; toss up between PCC Double-Clutch, (although I like the drones, he is a steaming pile of doggy doo) and Universe Blaster (ok-ish robot mode, crappy alt mode and horrible transformation)

Best impulse buy; 07 Voyager Ironhide, my first Transformers toy for 14 years, bought completely on a whim. The first pebble of an avalanche.

16. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Best: Universe Inferno at 50% off. Everything about it, is just about perfect imo. Not too complex, not too simple, minimal kibble, and i really really like the head sculpt too.

Worst: ROTF Chromia. Arcee was a much better toy than i expected, so i bought Chromia too. Just thinking about that lazy-ass-piece-of crap makes my blood start to bubble.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best: RotF Ransack. I really think that guy might have busted down the floodgates from "I will only buy a few Decepticons who appeared in the movie" to "I think I might have a problem." I told my dad he was the best ounce of plastic I'd ever bought.

Worst: Probably PCC Searchlight. I was flirting with PCCs and there wasn't much else going around, and I had liked Smolder. He's not outright bad, he's just totally unremarkable, which is not where I wanted to go with my collecting. The best use I ever found for him was slapping on the Protectobots and squaring him off with RotF Legends Devastator. The size is about right, but the look sure isn't. :( 

18. DECADER

DECADER COBRAAAAAAA!

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    BEST: 2007 movie Overcast. I initially passed on this guy because, lets face it, he's hideous. When I saw him on clearance I just had to own him and you know what, I love him. What I first saw as ugliness I now see as adorable cuteness. Just look at that face...
    [​IMG]
    D'AWWWWWWW

WORST: Probably 2007 movie Voyager Ironhide, I just hate how his chest just hangs there and flaps around all over the place, also his head looks goofy.

19. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Worst: Cyberverse Preview Optimus. He was on clearance, and at the time I was still waiting for the main DotM line to come out. He failed to impress me, and totally turned me off the Cyberverse figures. Into the Mini-con drawer he goes.

Best: Generations Skullgrin. I only bought him for his clip weapons, but he turned out to be a surprisingly nice little tank. I bought him right after my grandmother passed away, so now when I look at him sitting on my shelf, I always think of her. :) 

20. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yep.

Nothing fonder than being remembered by your loved ones along side a fabulously evil transformer. :)