Young kids and Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ryan.j, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

Yo. when my son was younger i picked him up some animated Bumper Battlers and he loved them to bits, he also had a powerbots bumblebee (which remains the most annoying toy ever) which he also liked. However as toys he's kinda outgrown them a bit and wants more challenging stuff, which is pretty cool.

He is three now and has started to take a strong interest in Daddy's robots, so i gave him a few movie 1 legends i had kicking around, and whilst he's super excited about them (octopus prime being his favourite :D ) he's predictably crap at transforming them.

I realise all parents say this, but he is actually very bright for his age and totally gets the concept and stuff, he could immediately transform bumblebee, jazz and prime without being shown how, but he's not quite dexterous enough to fold out little feet, avoid popping ickle balljoints and balance flimsy figures to stand up so he gets a bit frustrated.

Ignoring his specific age (i won't give him anything that is dangerous for him or will cause him to rage, and he really is quite bright) what TFs are available at the moment that are durable, have simple transformations but are still satisfying enough for a little to see that it's gone from a lorry to a robot?

2. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    later this year they have a new line coming out called Recue Robots from Playskool that is great for that age group. My son is 4 and I plan on picking those up for him as well. But if you have to have something now, the animated aren't bad if you can get them at a decent price.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Id stick to the Legends and Legion size class. Anything else is pushing the complexity boundaries. Even the Commander series can be tough.

4. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i have the whole animated line, and they count amongst daddy's robots he's not allowed ;) 

Rescue Bots bots is a great shout though, thanks for that - just had a look at the OP firehouse playset and it looks perfect

Man, now i'm all excited about them :D 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  5. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

I agree with the rescuebots recommendation. My gf's 4 yr old still has problems with the legends so i've just been getting him the non-transforming ones for now till they come out.

6. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    He may be having trouble with the legends due to their small size.

You could try some of the Activators from the RotF line - they're much bigger and have push-button conversions, which he might like. However, I also agree with everyone else that the Rescue Bots are you're best bet.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Speed Stars, your kids might like that.

8. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Not sure how hard they are to find now,but i started my son out on the Transformers Go-bots.

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Give him go-bots and cyberverse. Don't ever give him any Bumblebee.
    EDIT: What about kre-o?

10. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

nah, he's fascinated by lego (i have some starwars lego kicking around too) and kre-o etc but it's just too small for him sadly.

He's got a drawer full of thomas the tank engine megablocks though so he's doing okay on the building blocks front.

11. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I'd recommend Activators (Animated versions) until RescueBots are out. Robofighters and Go-Bot Transformers aren't too bad either. TRU stock these (bar the Animated Activators) in large numbers, especially in the UK.

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Thirding Activators, their simple enoguht to be kid frieldly (as intended), but even with their push button TFing they're VERY satisfying, I mess with my Activator Ironhide quite a bit. They're everything the FABs should have been, but mostly missed.

13. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I'm no parent, but I would personally go for Activators and Fast Action Battlers. They're practically designed for his age group and I'd imagine they're pretty durable too, from looking at them.

14. Ladiesman217643

Ladiesman217643 Well-Known Member

try some of the classic molds, some are very simple, see how he does with a classic seeker mold, i think a3 year old can figure it out in no time

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    ^LOL!

Give him DOTM Go-Bots. DOTM Activators are hit and miss, you have to hold them right for the parts to unfold properly without your hand getting in the way. Rescue Bots should be the ticket.

16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I was able to Transform G1 Jazz when I was 4 and it wasn't even my toy. My brother's mentally challenged and can't read the instructions even with the pictures so I had to do it.

I seen a video of someone transforming G1 Jazz recently and was actually kinda surprised at how complicated the transformation is. Not for an adult but I find myself surprised that I could figure it out when I was 4.

So anyway, point being... I think you'd be surprised what young kids are actually able to do. Though that being said todays Transformers are more complicated than the toys we grew up with. I find myself getting more and more frustrated with them every year.

I'd more along the lines say to make your own judgment based on your own complications with a toy and how well your child is dealing with the Transformers you've already given them rather than just following the recommendations on the toy packaging.

Of course following hazard warnings still but just because the toy says 5 and up doesn't mean you actually have to wait till he's 5 if he's showing signs of being bored with the toys in his own age group try something a little more advanced that doesn't have many small parts. No movie toys basically.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Difficulty varies from figure to figure. Generally speaking it's easier to transform from vehicle to robot, than the other way around.

In DOTM Cyberverse, I'd recomend many of the Legion/legends figures, but not the Commanders. Sideswipe, Bumblebee, Crankcase. Commanders are too fiddly.

Some figures are definitely more kid friendly than others, even across the same class. Universe Silverbolt is an example of such a figure. While I was disappointed with that one, it's chunky and simple enough. An advanced 3 year old might be able to handle it.

Other than that, you could maybe get a used lot of Armada figures for him to destroy.

18. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

I tried him on an activator today, thought they might have been marginally to complicated and he loved it! Sadly it was the bumblebee from my TFA collection (delux is way too big so i got the activator for scale) so i've had to buy myself another one off ebay :D 

Absolutely spot on, I did give him activators bulkhead who lives with my TFA legends to look at but bulky proved a bit too fiddly, so i'll just cherry pick the easiest transformations.

Cheers for all the advice guys, wouldn't have given him an activator to try without your encouragement and it's just become his favourite toy of the week, which is nice. Also it was TFA so i'm imprinting my impeccable taste on him from an early age!

19. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

he's mad for the planeformers, but classics seeker mold is beyond him i fear. so is classics jetfire. 3 year olds are bright but essentially not very dexterous.

I do have a misassembled divebomb i don't particularly want, i was going to give him but he is way too fiddly. edit, i also have a couple of actionmaster shockwaves, tried him on the crappier one of those and he was most unimpressed :D