Youe view on sensibilities in classic comedies (Please read before voting).

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jul 22, 2009.

?

What is your position?

1. Society was different back then, the shows are still hilarious, get over it.

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Society is mostly unchanged, the shows are still hilarious, get over it.

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. The shows are unfunny and offensive and should be banned.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. The shows are unfunny and offensive, but I just change the channel.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Stop whinging! Either watch it, or don't.

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

To clarify, here's the story:

A neighbour was complaining to me about the 'rascism' and 'sexism' in 'The Goodies'.
    For example, she gets the UKTV channel and saw a few episodes with sexism and so forth, which in the 70s was rampant in TV anyway, but two episodes she found offensive were 'The End' and 'South Africa'.
    In 'The End', they are sealed in their home and isolated from the rest of the population. They all find religion, one becomes Jewish, one a Monk and one of the Goodies paints himself in black shoe polish and becomes a black muslim named 'Rastus Watermelon' and talks like a negro.
    In 'South Africa' they parody aparthied, it also features a lot of slurs. All the blacks flee SA and as a result the slaves are gone. 'Apart height' is brought in and short people are treated as the black slaves were.

Then, there's 'Are You Being Served', 'Monty Python' and so forth. All have been attacked.

Now, I just watch it as a great comedy and satire, a product of their respective times, but I have surfed the web and its a thing that frequently raises eyebrows.
    Shows have been censored and cut down before, especially around 9/11, like RID, is that an option?

So, where do you stand? Pick a poll option and let's see how we feel about it.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I would have voted society has changed, but it really hasn't. Sure, on the outside we're all try to be nice to each other now, and we try not to offend or discriminate. It's silly to believe that in 40 years we somehow wiped out all those beliefs and attitudes about the races which are centuries old(in no way am I say we haven't made progress I just think it isn't a much as we'd like to believe). The problem is when we act like we've somehow managed to wipe away all racism and bigotry, and then become suddenly shocked when it bubbles back to surface. Attempts to Censor these old show prove a perfect example of this. Instead of using them as a teaching tool to educate and guide our youth toward more enlightens ways, we prefer to sweep this under the rug and ignore the problem. Though that is humanities' eternal solutions to their problems...forget about it cause it won't be your problem, it'll be your kid's problem.

And yes, it was funny back then and its funny now. Though I've never seen "The Goodies." I was more thinking about "Amos n' Andy," which is just as racist and maybe more so.

3. Hand Of Omega

I voted for society being different back then, option one, but I guess it isn't so different today, its just more camouflaged really than different.
    Society is far more sensitive about certain issues today. Or at least, as the previous post says, we try to show we are.

What you got away with then isn't necessarily what you'd get away with now, especially in many of the contexts of the old shows, but they are entertaining, they are funny and people need to relax and get over it, the producers/writers/etc didn't have crystal balls.
    If its offending someone they can change the channel or turn the TV off.

4. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

It was a different, more innocent time...

A time when Race Bannon could paint himself purple and then call an entire village of people "ignorant savages" then follow it up with a lusty "heathen monkeys".

And it is hysterical.

Eh, times have changed somewhat. Context matters. It's not like Nazi propaganda films or anything.

- Coeloptera

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Society hasn't changed, there were always things you could and could not do on TV.

6. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

'Rastus Watermelon'??? I voted number 4

7. Hand Of Omega

Yeh, no idea why they chose that name, a play on Rastas perhaps (no idea about the watermelon bit), but it made me laugh so hard I cried when he bounded in and said that his real name was '...my unholy name and I done rejected it. From now on, yaz address me by my HOLY name...Rastus Watermelon!'. In fact I'm peeing myself now.
    [​IMG]

8. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

society hasnt changed that much, plus shows like the Goodies actually did very good social commentary. biggest change since then is that now everyone goes bonkers if you might do something slightly offensive.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From "The Birth of a Nation" and the racist stereotypes in the early films; then, "Amos and Andy" to "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons", there has always been offensive, or racist material.

How and in what context it was portrayed on screen defines whether or not it is offensive. An example:

Fred Sanford, George Jefferson and Archie Bunker were technically "bigots" but the show's writers made a lot of effort to ridicule that aspect and denigrate it so the audience was never left wondering if their hate was a good trait. They exposed bigotry for what it was- ugly- and mocked it's logic.

imo, with the exception of Fred Sanford, Archie and George were allowed to become more tolerant and accepting. that helped both the programs and the subject matter.

but today, the offensiveness i find on television is not from dramas or sitcoms; it comes from "news" outlets and tabloid journalism. but i fix that by changing channels.

10. Hand Of Omega

I agree. I did know a guy until recently who did a thesus on 'social sensibilities and their use in TV' (or something to that effect) and he focussed on 'The Goodies' and 'Are You Being Served'.

Thanks for that. Thats a great example. Also, you bolster a very good point, that the channel button is there for a reason.

11. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

I actually think that society is changing for the better. The fact that television shows for example, are much more careful to be politically correct (and often taking it too far) is because certain views are much less acceptable now. Even if people still harbor those views personally, the fact that society as a whole looks down on those views means that fewer kids will pick up on those same traits and continue them. Thus society changes. Without getting too political, 50 years ago you could not have had the Democratic nomination battle we saw (and got sick and tired of) last year.

That said, I vote for "Society was different back then, the shows are still hilarious, get over it."

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Thanks.

to a degree society may have changed.
    think of this:
    The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy, both portrayed married couples as siblings who basically were babysitting children with those bedroom set designs they had- two separate twin beds???

so imagine late 50s to early 60s having The L Word come on at 10pm.

or follow that with any of the other shows ranging from Weeds to Dexter to the Sopranos.

I know cable is different, but still the networks toy with similar themes and
    stories, albeit a bit tamer.

IMO, there are still offensive programs on the air (not to me, just saying that somebody out there thinks so) but the writing teams, the producers address them in slick, creative ways...dare i even say they treat some topics with extreme finesse and delicacy.

Lastly, i think i have changed. as a kid i risked life and limb to sneak away and see a VHS of horror movies or my first viewing of adult movies. (9 1/2 Weeks anyone?)

Now, i watch edgier things because of the writing- it is like the only place to go for a compelling story.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    You wanna try checking out In Sickness and In Health. That's an old sitcom that's got a character called Alf Garnett that's the biggest bigot, homophobe and racist going and caused uproar even back when it was airing. It was of course supposed to be social commentary and you were supposed to side with his family and the other people in his life with opposing views because he was such an arsehole. It did play it very close to the line though and I'm not suprised so many people would think it's just a show that was popularising the bad views the main character held.

Personally I think nothing's changed in terms of what people think on subjects, but other peoples' reaction to the portrayal of them have because the world is so PC now. Sometimes the outrage is over something actually being said about a touchy subject rather than the actual subject itself. I'm sure many less people are actually offended, but today's society means you have to show yourself to be offended over those subjects.

14. Hand Of Omega

True. 'Are You Being Served' had more than it's fair share of criticisms levelled at what Mr Humphries said or did, but not specifically his, what is it called these days? 'Lifestyle choice'?

15. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

The watermelon part of the last name is because of the stereotype that black people love watermelons. And really though, who doesn't like watermelons.

Anyways, I voted to stop whining, either watch it or don't. People just seem to want something to bitch about. I find it funny that people will bitch about Archie Bunker and think George Jefferson is funny. I really don't get it. I say fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Oh, and I think society has changed quite a bit, especially when it comes to black and white relations. I think you see a lot less racism now but an increase in classism. By that I mean most white people don't hate black people, but they hate the type who look, dress, and talk like ignorant lower class people. At least that's how it is for me.

16. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I hate stereotypes.I'm white and I love watermelon dammit.

Not much gets me really angry,i'm one of the most mellow guys around but when it comes to racism I lose my shit.I've heard alot pretty racist crap in my life.

I just hope as we move into the future all the racist old people will die out and leave the rest of us in peace.

Goddamn racist assholes.

17. Hand Of Omega

Ha! Finally - thanks for clearing that up, makes it even more relevant. :thumbs2: 

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    We need aliens to come to Earth. We'd soon stop stressing over the skin colour of members of our own race.

19. Hand Of Omega

True. Then the blacks and whites and gays and so forth could band together and all have a go at the two headed, green freaks that are invading society!